Ghost vs Flying Spur | FerrariChat

Ghost vs Flying Spur

Discussion in 'British' started by rocketman, Nov 25, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Deliberating between a used late model Ghost and a new/practically new Flying Spur.
    IMO the looks and prestige factor goes to the Ghost but it looks like the technology and driving fun factor goes to the Bentley.
    Thoughts ?

2. WashingtonFerrari61

WashingtonFerrari61 Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2022
    Northern, VA
    Ghost hands down, not even a question and should not even be compared. Please don’t be silly and buy the Spur over a Ghost.

adr0104, italiafan and Caeruleus11 like this.
  3. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Maybe move this to British car forum?

adr0104 likes this.
  4. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
  5. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    We had a similar choice and went with a 2021 Spur W12. The ghost is dated in my opinion and lower tech. We bought our Spur at Post Oak Motors in Houston. They had both on the showroom floor. For us going back and forth between the two and driving both, it was obvious.

albert328gts, adr0104, TKSA and 5 others like this.
  6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Spur all the way. Ghost is basicly an expense BMW 760il. Spur is more bespoke.

albert328gts, TKSA, Boomhauer and 3 others like this.
  7. WashingtonFerrari61

Jun 26, 2022
    Northern, VA
    Still….. The Ghost just feels special.

8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    The thing about a Bentley is it tells the World you appreciate a timeless premium luxury car, and strive for the pinnacle, but can’t afford a Rolls. :D

Flash G, LI2782, MWHC4S and 1 other person like this.
  9. WashingtonFerrari61

Jun 26, 2022
    Northern, VA
    Exactly. A person who chooses a Bentley over Rolls and states it’s better just didn’t want to spend the extra money. The Ghost is just sexy and when rolling down the street speaks volumes to the world. If a person says they don’t care about the image is lying to themselves because you could spend way less and get a used S-Class which will be just as good. I have owned a Bentley but never a Rolls but I have been in a lot of them. No way is the Spur close to the Ghost.

MWHC4S likes this.
  10. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I still think there is validity to the old saying, "A Rolls is a car you are driven in, and a Bentley is a car for a driver".

11. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Multitude of ridiculous statements. I have owned several Bentley and Rolls Royce cars and the choice to buy one one over the other has never once had to do with price or spending extra money versus the other brand. Personally I prefer the Bentley to drive in most instances aside from the convertible experience of a Dawn vs a Conti GTC. I also think the Bentley design language is largely more aggressive and muscular than the modern RR cars. I also prefer less interaction with people which the RR inevitably invites over the Bentley. There are many reasons to buy either car and cost should rarely if ever factor into the decision process… if it does one probably shouldn’t buy either.

And spend way less to get a used S class that’ll be “just as good”? Hardly. It’s so absurd a statement I can only assume it’s a windup.

Boomhauer, Elsi, Xrayv8 and 3 others like this.
  12. WashingtonFerrari61

Jun 26, 2022
    Northern, VA
    You are honestly going to say the Spur is that much better than an S-class? The average person by far if blind folded would not know the difference. I am not a huge Benz fan but the S-Class for the price point is by far one hell of a sedan. The only aggressive and muscular looking Bentley is the Continental GT speed. The front of a Ghost just says get out of my way in a Rick James kind of way with style. RR’s hold their values better because they are the staple of luxury. Is the interior layout in the Spur better, yes but that would not be enough to pull me away from the Ghost.

13. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    How embarrassing is it for the ghost owner when a cullinan, wraith or phantom show up at the valet stand?

Boomhauer likes this.
  14. WashingtonFerrari61

Jun 26, 2022
    Northern, VA
    It’s even more embarrassing when you are in a Spur.

LI2782 likes this.
  15. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ironically we traded our S550 in on the Spur. It was our 3rd S550. I have a little experience with them and they are excellent cars in all respects. But there is no comparison to the Spur. It is the best car we have ever owned. I buy my cars for the reasons important to me. Dispersions as to why or what I may or may not be trying to present to others are meaningless.

It is which one is best for you. It is for nobody else to determine. The Spur, the Ghost and the S550 are all wonderful cars in their own ways. We are fortunate to have the opportunity to own them.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

16. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    What about say an Azure? Or a Brooklands? Bently has some serious cars and appear to be far more rare then the equivalent Rolls product.

Personally.. I haven't been that overly impressed with the Rolls products. They seem rather old and kinda stuffy just kinda carrying on since 2004 really. They need a change. The Bentley cars..man they have some really nice stuff going on.

Boomhauer and rocketman like this.
  17. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I hope everyone realizes I was just joking. LOL!
    (I was spoofing a comment made by Clarkson on Top Gear regarding Porsche Boxster owners. :))

18. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I've always looked at the Bentley as a driver's car and the Royce as a chauffeur's car.

Gh21631 likes this.
  19. dillinghamp

dillinghamp Rookie

Apr 2, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    Personally, I led the three-man team that did the 1995 Rolls-Royce Flying Spur, a limited edition turbocharged Rolls-Royce that borrowed some of the Bentley Turbo R key engine and suspension components. They are as rare as hens’ teeth and very, very special. I think it’s the best car in the world. A real Rolls-Royce that pre-dates BMW’s and Volkswagen’s involvement with the brands, but then I have to declare that I may be biased.

ryalex and italiafan like this.
  20. Akg200

Akg200 Karting

Mar 10, 2022
    The States
    The Rolls Royce has that in your face look but the Bentley makes you admire from a distance.

21. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Thanks for the spirited discussion and personal insights.
    What are the thoughts about the Spur V8 vs V12 ?
    Should they both be in play or is one to be ruled out ?

22. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    Both cars are wonderful cars, you cannot go wrong. I would get the Ghost because its look is more majestic, prestigious, its interior is…well RR, and it performs well. But that’s only my personal opinion, get the car you desire the most. RR has come a long way in terms of performances and technology, it’s not like years ago when Bentley was the most spirited car. Recent and current RR are a joy to drive and they are fast.

23. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  24. islerodreaming

islerodreaming Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Full Name:
    John - a proud Australian man
    A bit off topic but my 2 cents on the Rolls v Bentley argument. Back in 1970 I was travelling with my fathers business partner (who was one of the bosses at DeBeers at the time) in his Bentley Continental Flying Spur. There was a newish Silver Shadow in the lane next to us and I asked him if he was going to get one? His reply was 'my dear boy, gentlemen drive Bentley's. Rolls Royce are for the newly rich and the criminal element'. He then went on to explain that when he said Bentley he meant a coach built Bentley. Of course this no meaning now that BMW and Volkswagen are involved but I found it amusing at the time.

JL350 and pearsonhaus like this.
  25. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The new Mulsunn is an absolutely gorgeous thing. Makes the Phantom just seem really really old and kinda stuffy..Rolls really needs to replace or completely update the Phantom. It will be 20 years in production next year..