Oil pressure Gauge and Parking brake light stay on... | FerrariChat

Oil pressure Gauge and Parking brake light stay on...

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by rflan, Nov 26, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rflan

rflan Rookie

Nov 3, 2021
    Full Name:
    Robert Flannery
    I am driving my old 89 today and when I turned the car off the oil pressure and parking brake lights stay on even when the car is switched off. Probably by a coincidence but this happened about 3 minutes after I turned the AC fan switch off and now the fan doesn't want to come back on... Any thoughts?

2. rflan

rflan Rookie

Nov 3, 2021
    Full Name:
    Robert Flannery
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Since your alternator warning light isn't also wrongly "on", I'd say that that's a good sign for the ignition switch not being the problem. Do the windows also work when those lights are wrongly "on" (and the key is "off")? If so, you might try using a different ...113 relay in the relay U (relay for key controlled services) position (bottom row, far RH side) as an easy test (i.e., first just remove the existing relay U and see if those lights go out; if so, then replace the existing relay U with maybe the horn ...113 relay to see if that fixes the problem). If a different ...113 in the relay U position has the same issue = not a good sign for the fuse-relay panel itself.

(All of the gauges also seem to be wrongly "on", too.)

4. rflan

rflan Rookie

Nov 3, 2021
    Full Name:
    Robert Flannery
    Windows do work even with the key removed. And there is a light humming noise coming from the car. I have the fuse box cover off but I don’t see anything related to keys on it.
    View attachment 2672793

5. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Don't get the point of your key picture, but I'll repeat: relay U (relay for key controlled services) position (bottom row, far RH side) -- see the fuses and relay page in your OM.

6. rflan

rflan Rookie

Nov 3, 2021
    Full Name:
    Robert Flannery
    Ahh, I’ll find that and check. Thank you sir!

7. rflan

rflan Rookie

Nov 3, 2021
    Full Name:
    Robert Flannery
    #7 rflan, Nov 26, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
    Found the book, makes a lot more sense looking at the manual… but pulling relay U did nothing. Windows still operate, lights on etc. Oy vey…

8. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, that's trouble. If you have no wiring modifications, and the correct relay set installed, it almost has to be some sort of trace-to-trace short on the fuse-relay panel itself. It will take some $s, but having a better Guido, or GTCarParts, etc., fuse-relay panel isn't a bad upgrade for any Mondial. Good Hunting!

9. rflan

rflan Rookie

Nov 3, 2021
    Full Name:
    Robert Flannery
    Do you know of any “kill switch” type fuse/relay to turn the car off so I don’t kill the battery? I hear battery replacement is a PITA since you have to take off a wheel. Thanks

10. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, there's a battery rotary cutoff switch knob near the battery -- see page L3 of your OM (but, on the Motronic-equipped models like yours, this is a bit of a hassle to "relearn" things when reconnected).

Another very remote possibility is that a piece has broken off inside one of the relays controlled by relay U, and is shorting +12V onto the circuit that is normally +12V only when the key is "on" and relay U is closed. You could try unplugging each relay one at a time to see if it affects your problem (but the unreliability of the Mondial fuse-relay panels is well-known -- and unplugging/replugging a relay is such a violent act that it can wiggle things enough to alter an intermittent condition).

11. DocBasilone

DocBasilone Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    NW PA
    should replace all relays if still the metal Bosch originals, what they look like on the outside is what they look like on the inside...