New Orleans Heritage and Jazz Festival 2023 | FerrariChat

New Orleans Heritage and Jazz Festival 2023

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by simchanova, Nov 19, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. simchanova

simchanova Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Hi ALL!I have never been to New Orleans before!I am a HUGE music fan.id love to go to this year’s festival both weekends(in between id eat my way silly as I am a foodie too!).I need some guidance here on lodging,venues,getting tickets at face value,etc.I will be traveling solo.I do not want to rent a car if I don’t have to!Any thoughts,directions on this of how/what to do would be appreciated!Feel free to PM me also. Thanks,stuart

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My uncle always opined that taxis door to door were the best way to "survive NO"...

I have a few close FB Friends that would be "on stage" but hanging with them would be very interesting.

3. squid

squid Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2006
    I'm a big fan of the WWOZ Brass Pass. I suggest staying downtown and using Lyfts to get around and skipping the car. The roads are garbage and it's easy to end up in areas you don't want to be in.

Manda racing, BigTex and Jack-the-lad like this.
  4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I would only caution that an phone apps (uber?lyft) can get saturated in mass events like this.

I'd also load Yellow Cab into your speed dial, and in a lot of towns I tell the first cabie at the arport to the hotel:
    "You wanna work all weekend?"

After that it's like having a yellow Limo!
    The guys and galas are aways interesting too.

squid likes this.
  5. squid

squid Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2006
    Blue Bikes are where it's at.

6. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Oysters -- Acme is the well-known place for oysters and always has a line. It's better to go to Felix's, which is directly across the street and better, usually with no line or only short line. Try the char-grilled oysters, they are killer.

"Luke" is very nice and has a very good happy hour for oysters

Crawfish season is from Jan to July, nearly impossible to find them out of season except occasionally somebody will have frozen ones (not easy to find, even frozen, out of season, in New Orleans).

The best crawfish are in an open market area pretty close to Cafe Du Monde -- they bring them in directly from the boat and dump them in a boiling vat with corn and spices and serve them fresh. Can't remember the name (last couple times we've been to New Orleans it was outside of crawfish season :(), but it's a standalone vat that (I think from memory) only sells crawfish.

7. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Also, the spicy Muffaletta at "Verti Marte" is a "must do". The place itself is a pretty rundown convenience store, but the sandwiches made in back are insanely good. I wasn't that excited about going, and a lot of these "you've gotta try" places turn out to be disappointments, but Verti Marte is the real deal. Uber is probably a good idea if going later at night -- it's not in a horrible part of town, but it's not the best area for late at night when there aren't many people around.