V-12 Engine into 308 Build, over on Grassroots | Page 49 | FerrariChat

V-12 Engine into 308 Build, over on Grassroots

Discussion in '308/328' started by dave80gtsi, Jan 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Can you explain this? Is there some sort of cylinder-to-cylinder asymmetry?

2. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    No idea why it would leak the most.

On assembly it goes together at #1 TDC so #6 is top of exhaust with all 4 valves open, then 60 degrees later #7 is TDC and #12 top of exhaust with all 4 valves open. It it all starts right assembly is fine but any lash or clearance in the chain tends to make the cam retard a bit which would be seem on 12 first. Just a theory though

3. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Mr toads wild ride! Been there many times! Little adrenaline rush is good sometimes!

You can hear the dead hole. Ugh..

What's the shim situation? Stock or shim under?

4. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    shim under. Hayabusa racing stuff with Ti retainers and 5mm stem valves so under 1/2 the weight of stock stuff even with 6mm oversize valves.

5. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    I thought so, but wasn't sure. Over/under that a shim cap popped loose?

6. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    maybe....

7. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I still have a few issues to sort but I think yesterday's proof of life video makes it official ...there are now 5(?) V12 308s in the world :)

I'll admit I'm not that worldly but I've never driven anything like this. I made all kinds of simulation graphs over the years, looking this or that but I truly was not prepared mentally for what 300ft-lbs of torque at idle means exactly. I kind of understood form the 200ft-lbs at idle engine which is why I flipped the drop gears but it never occurred to me really that 1st gear would still be or questionable value or that the idea I had way back about adding traction control isn't exactly optional. Jesus this thing is fast.....

You might not have noticed as I back out of the driveway and pull away just how effortless the steering is. Amazing upgrade and I don't think I could go back to the wrestling the steering wheel days.

The now manual F430 brakes definitely require more pedal pressure. I thought maybe with the larger rotors it would kind or be a wash but no, more pressure is required but at the same time the pedal basically doesn't move from the time the brakes engage....you apply more pressure to stop faster but everything is so rigid now the pedal just stays put, its a very different feel that takes some getting used to. I only had a chance to do 1 lock up at 1 speed so far so I've not started adjust the front/rear bias or the proportioning valve. They work and certainly stop the car but I really want to try different conditions as I just can't believe my guesses on settings are right.

The new way stiffer springs feel fine for normal driving so far, again though something I need more time to really evaluate.

8. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    Pretty cool, love doing first drives. How many times have you taken that engine out?

9. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I've lost count....6? and it needs 1 more to sort whatever is wrong with #12 but I'd like to test as much as I can now to be as sure as possible this will be 1 last engine remove and repair

10. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    so 12 still tests no compression but interestingly the plug has gone from white to black similar to the rest (its pretty rich) and the sound has changed...it made no or very little sound before during the compression test and now I can hear a difference between 12 and any other. I think its sealant and I should run it more ;)

Ferraripilot likes this.
  11. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    It doesn’t take much debris to keep a valve open just a tiny bit this cause no compression. Hoping it clears out!

12. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    me too...its definitely acting better than it was so fingers crossed

Patrick Dixon likes this.
  13. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Watched the video, that's how all 308s should accelerate!

14. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Careful what you wish for....its pretty scary o_O

15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Incredible work Mark! Simply amazing.

MFlanagan likes this.
  16. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Thanks. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the reality....its been so long I'm not sure I still believed the day would ever come.

I'm also having a hard time processing how driving it feels. Its not done, I had not shifter gate so shifting was horrible, listening to every sound in terror I wasn't going to make it home, all the normal 1st drive stuff.....but then the feel of the car is just hard to describe. Its loud, the the engine itself, the exhaust, the whine to the drop gears I think it was so there is noise. Then there is the vibrations, also very different from what I remember of the original engine and the supercharged versions, this is very obviously a different engine.

I think though what I'm having trouble processing is the sounds, the vibrations, the acceleration, just so don't match the rpm, at least not for me having never driven a 12 cly car. I[ have 4 and 6 cyl cars these days. When I raced motorcycles they had this kind of acceleration and noise but they were 2 and 4 cyl so 3 or 6 times the rpm to get these kinds of vibrations. based on senses 2500-3000 just feels like its screaming, then I look at the tach and its not...but getting my throttle foot to listen to my brain is a challenge. At this moment I'm not sure I even comprehend 9000rpm yet but that was the shift point on my H-D and the never go below point on the Kawasaki.

Strange feeling driving this thing and perhaps Scott got it best when he compared it to an amusement park ride...just that out of control thrill? I need more seat time to think about it but I'm pretty sure the gemellocattivo (evil twin) badge to replace the QV was the right call :p
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

tbakowsky and Ferraripilot like this.
  17. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    What’s best about this, imo, this is something Ferrari themselves couldn’t dream of doing and actually pulling off. Sure they could get a v12 in there, but never use what you used and make it all work through nothing but independent thought and knowhow. Ferrari would have to reinvent the wheel.

18. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

19. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Yup 12cyl symphony and power is just different enough.. but it is glorious! The hand on God reaches out pushes you down the road, or flings you.

Ferraripilot likes this.
  20. Vonbarron

Vonbarron Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2014
    Westside Mofo
    Full Name:
    S B
    We all want rides

kiwiokie and Ferraripilot like this.
  21. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I think they probably know better. :confused:

I was just chuckling thinking way back to that day I got the heads to sit on the block and I slipped the timing case kind of into place to to see how bad it was....bad . Its come a long way since then.

INRange and Ferraripilot like this.
  22. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    #1222 mk e, Dec 2, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
    Or perhaps the way it feels Satin flings it :eek: I could even smell the flames of hell burning the rubber off the tires.

23. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Your subtle way of saying you made a deal with the devil?:D

24. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    #1224 mk e, Dec 2, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
    Driving it sure feels that way. I'm pretty much certain if I blindfolded a 308 own and sat them in the car there is not a prayers chance in hell they'd ever guess they were in a 308. It looks like a 308 and you think you know what's coming, but looks can be deceiving.

25. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I remember those days! I always told myself you had a plan for those situations.