Is the watch Market imploding? | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Is the watch Market imploding?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Bradwilliams, Jun 28, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That's awesome! I would estimate a large percentage of Subs never see the water so great you are using it as intended - Cheers :)

2. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

What was the MSRP on the daytonas back in the 90s with the stainless/gold?

I remember recommending them to a friend of a friend about 2 years ago when they were 10 grand. People are still asking 17-18 for those.

3. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Hopefully they are just finding logical valuation...and buyer who are enthusiasts and not speculators. It is such a lovely elegant hobby.

Shorn355 and Bullfighter like this.
  4. laswyguy

laswyguy F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    Two tone were below retail for the longest time..

JJ and Bradwilliams like this.
  5. laswyguy

laswyguy F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    Rolex ADs getting in the used game…

6. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    The selloff is watches is really accelerating now. I’m seeing watches that were 50% to 100% over msrp earlier in the year now well below sticker, in some cases half of msrp. This isn’t a correction, this now a crash in my opinion. If anyone is looking to buy I would wait.

donv, Wikdstrate, Cigarzman and 2 others like this.
  7. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Wow that is quite a swing…. Which models have you seen go through such a large price change ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blkdiablo33 and JJ like this.
  8. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    From what I can see most of the complicated Pateks for example. Some Pateks holding up ok like 5811. I am assuming it is the same for AP. Haven’t really been tracking Rolex but it looks like certain Daytonas for example have gone from $60k to $20k.

plastique999 likes this.
  9. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Really ? Where are you seeing this ?

MDS

10. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    From a Rolex standpoint at least the only "crash" is in the secondary market where prices got ridiculously inflated-

If someone was willing to pay $40K for a 116520 WD Daytona a year ago that same watch is now selling for $24K on Bobs or Chrono so I guess one could call that a "crash" or more accurately a correction.

That watch sold at MSRP at an AD for $10.5K so if you waited and bought new at MSRP (like I did) then you have still more than doubled your investment. Same situation for Batmans.

If you could not wait and buy new at MSRP from an AD and bought high on the secondary market then yes you lost money- If you knew that going in and treasure/enjoy the watch then you don't care because you actually wanted the watch and didnt want to wait- all good. If you had a bunch of liquid cash laying around and paid $40K for a $10.5K watch as a bauble you didn't truly want or know anything about and now need money and don't care about the watch then you are dumping it at a loss.

The secondary Rolex market is indeed going through a correction- The AD/retail/MSRP Rolex market is as it has always been- A solid and enjoyable investment you will never lose a dime on if you are willing to wait depending on the model and relationship with an AD.

Cheers :cool:

mikesufka likes this.
  11. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I am talking about the secondary market obviously, for example Rolex Platona was $250k at the high now you have your pick for $75k, I think a 70% drop from the high can be considered a crash.

Ceramic Bezel Daytonas were over $50k at the high now under 20, zenith daytonas now 15.

Msrp isn’t safe either. I bought a 5905p earlier this year, paid $90k or whatever list was, asked my guy at watchbox what he’d pay for it and he said he would pay $55k and by the way if I went back to do the trade I’m guessing the real price might be $5-$10k lower. Including the taxes on msrp that’s over 40% drop from msrp in a couple of months. That material. To me the watch is a keeper for ever so it makes no difference to me, but make no mistake, the market has crashed and no you are not safe at msrp.

12. laswyguy

laswyguy F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    I still saw nothing at my local Rolex AD available for public.

Gh21631 likes this.
  13. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    My AD still has 2 ladies watches sitting, months later now. Weird

14. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    If you believe the internet “they’re kept in the safe”

15. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Wow on that Platona drop!
    Love that watch… $75k doesn’t seem bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    I swim / hot tub with mine.... does that count??!?!?

17. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Absolutely!!!! :) :)

18. laswyguy

laswyguy F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    $75K is basically MSRP?

19. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    The platona was first released in 2013 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the first Daytona. When it first came out its msrp was around $63k I think the price now is $75,650 but that might be out of date. But to answer your question, yes that is around msrp.

I have a few watches and if I had to pick one watch to wear for ever, in all settings, it would be the platona, hands down. I think it’s the ultimate watch, beach, black tie and everything in between.

20. laswyguy

laswyguy F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    with the Diamond baguettes markers :D

21. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Both versions of the Platona are gorgeous. However I find it quite heavy to be worn every day. Perhaps it just a matter of getting used to it.

22. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Totally agree it is heavy, once I get used to it and then wear a light watch, I panic and think I have lost the watch because I can’t feel the weight.

23. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    For me, now, anything over 38 or 39mm and more than 11mm thick (tall...back to front) is horological obesity. Like Super Cars, they just don't make any functional sense. I'm strapping on my 9k gold 35mm JLC date with bumper movement...and it does everything I ask and looks as beautiful as any Patek I've ever seen. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

willrace, Il Tifoso, JCR and 2 others like this.
  24. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Depends on your wrist size. I have an 18.5 cm wrist circumference, and 40 mm looks too small. Gave my Daytona to my wife. Do agree about the height.

25. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Curious where you are seeing them for $75k? Chrono24 still shows most of them asking $100k+.