B-17 and P-63 lost at Dallas CAF show | Page 5 | FerrariChat

B-17 and P-63 lost at Dallas CAF show

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by GrigioGuy, Nov 12, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  2. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    More likely birds. If the engine lost power, the pilot could have been preoccupied with restarting the engine.

3. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    It will be a long time until the NTSB report.
    After many years flying warbirds, witnessing and examining accidents, my bet is that the final result will be one of 3 things.
    1. The P-63 was in the wrong spot
    2. The B-17 was in the wrong spot
    3. The airbus issued a command that caused the events.

All human errors

I haven't flown a P-63 but I have flown 5 other WW2 fighters and I would assume that the P-63 is at least 40 mph slower than the P-51's.
    Not in WW2 combat but in civilian, save the engine power settings. It would not be able to catch a Mustang with speed only with cut off, by shortening the distance flown.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    If the P63 collided with a drone they would have found the pieces. They find pieces of bomb mechanisms after massive explosions.

5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #105 TheMayor, Dec 1, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
    Seems like it was not the fault of either pilot but the person on the ground staff telling the planes which lanes to follow.

6. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    As in most accidents there are contributing factors or a series of events leading to the final outcome, but the primary blame still lies with the pilot flying up the ass of the other.

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    if he knew, he wouldn't have. I have never done formation flying or controlled air show, but things USUALLY go wrong when you don't follow the directions or plan. The B-17 followed the commands exactly switched from the inside 500 foot line to the 1000 foot line exactly where the collision took place. The P-63 switched from the 1,000 foot to the 500 foot line as instructed. He had zero visibility of the B-17 as they crossed paths.

Texas Forever likes this.
  8. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    As I said, contributing factors. I never said the P-63 had the B-17 in sight. Which ultimately was the problem. This is VFR flying, not IFR.

I understand the issues of visibility. Once had a guy sneak up from behind and under me. I knew he was there based on my TCAS, but could't see **** until he popped up off my wing tip. I just flew S&L until we both had each other in sight. Ass hole neighbor in his Swift (current UPS captain and ex-Navy F-18 pilot).

9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

I'm no expert but IMO, accidents never have only one reason - but there is usually some kind of trigger event that starts the process.

It sounds like the trigger to this event was the person who told the planes to change lanes where the bombers and the faster fighters were on the same course. And whoever gave them the information to fly at the same altitude. Given the track layout and the type of plane, it seems like the P63 pilot could not see the B17 in the turn. Should he have? Probably. But if the circumstances never set up the situation, the P63 wouldn't have had to worry about it.

Boomhauer likes this.
  10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    As I read it, the Airboss cleared the P-63 to over take the B-17 and to join up with the P-51's ahead with no change in altitude assignment. The P-63 flew a converging arc with that of the B-17 and he never saw the B-17 that was below and ahead in his blind spot from the beginning. He was doing what he was instructed to do. Again, I have flown in quite a few air shows and the biggest and most complex was the Abottsford show where there were a lot more airplanes in the air than 6. Pilot briefings were long and thorough and most important, the flight paths and positions were carefully designed with everything going in one direction in a huge circular pattern with the fly-by in front of the crowd. You were to keep the assigned altitude and position, period, with no crossing maneuvers or spontaneous actions. Any deviations got you scratched from the next day's show.

kylec, Texas Forever, INRange and 2 others like this.
  11. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    maybe the motor didn't 'burped' but he dove to avoid it and the pulled up and was in a bad position.

12. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    I’m sorry you got confused. I posted that drone video because it’s ridiculous. Not to actually debate it.

13. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    my bad

Hannibal308 likes this.
  14. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011

15. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Actually, I really am sorry. I should be nicer outside of P&R. I just have my snicker side which is why I posted that with the question of what’s next? Aliens did it?

They’ll come up with a bunch of contributing factors but the bottom line is the P-63 pilot likely got fixated on establishing and maintaining trail on the Mustangs in front of him and went belly up on the bomber that he either never had sight of or lost sight of, thus whacking it.

16. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    re-watch vid (post #105) At 4:50 he puts full blame on the air boss instructions. He should/will be charged. Intentional? no ..... Negligent, incompetent and instructions were "dumb, dangerous and different"? YES

It's all about A L T I T U D E . Faster fighters should have been assigned 200? ft HIGHER than bombers and this would not / could not occur.

17. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Regardless of what the air boss said, the pilot is still the captain of the ship. He should have been scanning for aircraft in front of him. Perhaps a proximity alarm would help in this type of situation ?

Hannibal308 likes this.
  18. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    The Swiss cheese model of mishap causation. Everything aligns just right (wrong) to have the tragedy occur. No separation of altitude, crossing flight paths, speed mismatch, poor vis from old cockpit, mustangs strip the aircobra (outpace him), aircobra tries to catchup (tunnel vision/task saturation), flies wide of the mustangs, hard bank to follow the leaders, never sees a ginormous bomber. It all sucks.

19. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    They may put some blame on the air boss. They will put some (probably most) blame on the P-63 guy. It’s a clear VFR day. Pilots are ultimately responsible for where their plane is going.

jcurry likes this.
  20. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Easiest choice, especially since the P63 guy isn't around to fight/shift the blame, and won't sue anyone......
    Your post says it best:

"The Swiss cheese model of mishap causation. Everything aligns just right (wrong) to have the tragedy occur. No separation of altitude, crossing flight paths, speed mismatch, poor vis from old cockpit, mustangs strip the aircobra (outpace him), aircobra tries to catchup (tunnel vision/task saturation), flies wide of the mustangs, hard bank to follow the leaders, never sees a ginormous bomber. It all sucks."

21. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The P-63 pilot WAS looking at where he was going; to his left, to his right, and above him. He was in a turn , the traverse of which matched the movement of the B-17 that was also in a slight turn. The nose of the P-63 blinds the pilot ahead and below his flight path and that is where the B-17 was. He never saw him because their turning movements were almost matched. This happened to me once when I was flying a PT-26 and "dog fighting" with a buddy and somehow when I was behind him he got in the blind spot below and in front me when we were both in a turn . We were almost matched in turn rate and all of sudden I caught sight of his wing tip too close for comfort. Anyway, ain't no expert but this is my thought on the incident from looking at all of the excellent videos.

375+ and islerodreaming like this.
  22. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    I completely understand what you are saying, and agree as to why he did not see the bomber. However, it’s pretty clear he wasn’t looking where he was going as he hit another plane. He was not clearing his actual flight path. I’ve investigated well over a dozen fatal mishaps...all Air Force F-16 mishaps...and unless the NTSB does things differently, the pilot that had the most maneuverable aircraft has ultimate responsibility to see and avoid conflicts. When an F-16 did a final turn “rejoin” on a C-130 straight-in at Pope...the F-16 pilot could not see the 130 either...but he sure as hell should have, and he was the ultimate cause of the mishap. Hell of a lot more than 5 guys died that day and the weeks thereafter.

jcurry likes this.
  23. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    If the P-63 pilot saw the B-17, he would have pulled up. He continued his flight path because there was nothing in his limited vision to avoid.

24. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    France
    Whatever THE REASONS, the P-63 pilot did not see the B-17, but HE SHOULD HAVE.
    Three B-17s destroyed in ten years ! Given the quantity remaining, wouldn't it be wise to put the others that remain in museums to preserve them ?

25. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There are plenty of them in museums already.

Boomhauer likes this.