and my throwout bearing went BOOM !!! | FerrariChat

and my throwout bearing went BOOM !!!

Discussion in '360/430' started by CoreyNJ, Dec 2, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    So just got my car back from having the clutch and noisy throwout bearing replaced. My mechanic also replaced the accumulator as a maintenance precaution and I had the 430 Challenge manifolds installed (they sound awesome, BTW).

Take a look at my exploded throwout bearing with almost 16K on the car. Surprisingly it still drove...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

All I can say is wow...

Here are some more pics of the work...

2. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Wow..!
    I seen many throw out bearings in my years never any in that condition.
    That had to make god awful noises..

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Mine is just showing sign of leakage at 15500 miles ( original clutch). Glad you put this up
    What condition was the clutch friction in ? Still usable ?

4. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I was recommended to change my original clutch anyway even though it wasn't that worn because while your there you might as well...

With such a destroyed bearing, there could have been contamination on the clutch material so not worth even giving my old one to someone else. I would suggest you budget for a new clutch/flywheel (or resurface) and if your bearing isn't bad you make a decision. I was at 25.9% clutch usage at the time I dropped the car off on the original clutch.

My mechanic did use the Hill Engineering part as he has a box full of "bad" OEM throw out bearings he keeps around to document all the ones he has had to change.

I would say if anyone does their clutch, change the OEM throwout bearing as a precaution unless it has already been replaced with the HE part. This is one reason never go to the dealer for a clutch change (besides price), they are only allowed to use OEM parts. You need a good independent. My mechanic Fonz used to be the main guy at Central NJ Ferrari, or whatever it was called back in the day.

One more thing I forgot to mention about my Challenge headers. NO CEL (Knock on Wood) and he didn't recommend using any O2 extenders. I have a 2009.

Cheers,
    Corey

cavlino, E60 M5 and QSA like this.
  5. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Thank you for the pics Corey

That Fonzie's shop?

6. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Wow I never saw one like that either

7. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Yep. Actually heading back over there in about an hour to grab my old MKII manifolds to go along with my growing collection of original parts that will go along with the car for the rest of it's life.

cavlino likes this.
  8. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    On a side note your new manifolds look fantastic

9. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
  10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I have a price to do the bearing, using the hill one. and a price to do the complete clutch, hence my reason for asking clutch condition- unless you have been driving the nuts off it the flywheel should be fine

11. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    That is clean!!

PS. there is a lot of rust on your splines. I hope they cleaned them up and put some grease on there. Might have had something to do with TB failure...

12. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Yep they were cleaned off, I also assume it’s from the bearing. You can see it in one of my pics he did clean it off.

Here are pics of the old clutch. Notice the grooves created by the bearing housing.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

cavlino, f355spider and one4torque like this.
  13. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    That's wild!!! Love it.

14. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    My slave went bad at 19K on my 360 gated. leaking fluid...did the whole clutch....does hill sell a slave too? I don't think we had a choice and went oem

toussi1 likes this.
  15. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I've had my local Ferrari dealer install Hill parts on my F355 spider. They clearly wrote on the invoice that non factory parts would not be warranted for the part or labor. It was on me if a failure. I was good with that.

16. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    My throw-out bearing went this summer, characterized by the whistling type sound when around 3k rpm. Dealer said it was something not to worry about, better to wait till clutch needed to be done, but the ocd side of me decided to have dropped off at end of season anyways so it's fresh for mext year

Will get Hill Engineering replacement, and clutch done (40% wear) while we're there. I also asked to inspect everything while it's apart and see if there's anything else we should do while it's in pieces

2005, 20k miles

17. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    if you haven't changed out your accumulator in a while, you should also have them do that at the same time.

18. nickorette

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    Thanks for heads up, acculmalator done in 2018, had some F1 issues at purchase they couldn't figure out, I believe that was the first thing they changed

19. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    Is this in all gears? I've developed a whistle in 6th.

20. nickorette

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    It was unrelated to gear selection, can be replicated in N, around 3k rpm

Some Guy in the sky likes this.