LaFerrari replacement: v12, no hybrid, less power than SF90stradale? | Page 49 | FerrariChat

LaFerrari replacement: v12, no hybrid, less power than SF90stradale?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Ale55andr0, Dec 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. babgh

babgh Karting

Dec 21, 2016
    If the hypercar will be a v6 then safe to say that it will be just a glorified 296 then? Like the P1 which is a glorified 12C? It's quite painful to see ferrari go with the mclaren route in its hypercar(P1)

Johnny_Bravo likes this.
  2. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    It would not be road legal then. Not to mention that it would be undriveable with today's power levels.

As much as the 499P is a glorified 296. Not at all, then. BTW, is the LaFerrari a glorified FF (or dare I say Purosangue...), since they both have a V12?

Gh21631, Boomhauer and Senad like this.
  3. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    296 is garbage car?

4. Rosso963

Rosso963 Rookie

Sep 8, 2017

ABS/ESP ≠ crap
    ABS/ESP = lifesaving (especially in a vehicle that moves as fast as a Ferrari) if you were requesting those features are not on a new upcoming bicycle model I would perhaps be on the same page as you.
    Not trying to incriminate you but are you on some sort of illegal chemistry?
    Cause sir the last 5pages are filled with your nonsense.
    You seem to lack any understanding of how a Car manufacturer operates. Laws, regulations, etc. I saw you suggested a V10 just a couple pages ago. To develop a brand new V10 engine when you have the V12s, V8s, and a brand new V6 (very capable might I add) already at your disposal. I mean you dont have to be a genius to realise how dumb that sounds.

Luque and Senad like this.
  5. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    The 296 is NOT a garbage car ! I was lucky enough to track a 296 a few months ago at Mugello - 25 laps later I can truly say it is a spectacular car !! However, I am not buying 1……. I’m trying to figure out why myself !! :)

F2003-GA and Lcawley like this.
  6. Rosso963

Rosso963 Rookie

Sep 8, 2017

296GTB is the best Ferrari in a long time.

j09333 and crinoid like this.
  7. Lcawley

Lcawley Karting

Nov 16, 2011
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Lance C. Cawley
    You can turn most or all of the safeties off and test your skill level.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Gh21631 and willcrook like this.
  8. EmreT

EmreT Karting

Oct 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Emre
    Engine and style-wise, I expect something quite similar to the new Vision GT.

9. Johnny_Bravo

Johnny_Bravo Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2012
    Yes, by comparison to other Ferrari's

10. Johnny_Bravo

Dec 7, 2012
    There's nothing dumb about developing a V10. It might not be the best decision financially, but it's the best engine Ferrari ever made.

11. Johnny_Bravo

Dec 7, 2012
    All those electronics add weight, that's the issue.

12. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    It's one of the best, certainly better than its predecessor.

That would be the 1995 F1 v12 engine (Tipo 044/1), or the 1994 Tipo 043!

Electronics add an inconsequential amount of weight, a few kilograms. Not to mention, again, that they are mandatory by law!

Senad, F140C and Lcawley like this.
  13. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    What other Ferraris?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I have no idea what kilogram is but keep in mind there are over 100 ECUs in a modern car interconnected by wire harnesses. That's a lot of copper and insulation. If you add that giant set of batteries and massive copper cabling to the high voltage electronics and the electric motors in hybrids its just a ridiculous amount of unnecessary weight. Modern cars are way too heavy for a lot of reasons.

JTSE30, day355 and Johnny_Bravo like this.
  15. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    You are confusing two different things. Electric drive (heavy) and control electronics - ESP etc (light). There is a reason that modern cars have all these things though.

Senad likes this.
  16. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Without modern ESP, traction control etc nobody could enjoy these cars on the road, they’re just too powerful. They would become track only vehicles for all intents and purposes and that would be a bit too limiting. Sure, reduce power and get rid of the electronics. But then just go buy a 930 or a 355. No real point in remaking what the world has already done brilliantly (300-400hp with few electronics) Need to push boundaries and move forward IMO. A V6 hyper car from Ferrari would not be bad because simply it is a V6, or even a hybrid. It would be bad if it looks, sounds and especially feels bad. And I reckon it won’t.

That’s not to say the LaF won’t get a lift being the last V12 Hyper car. It’s very hard for a V6 to match the emotion and soundtrack of a V12 like the LaF possesses. My bet is that the new car will be at the same time brilliant and also affirming of what was so good about the LaFerrari. Win-win?

I’m expecting the new car to be more race-car in style, much more downforce, lighter, faster and more powerful. There’s always a market for that.

17. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    if they removed traction control it'd be extremely well recieved and praised for being 'raw', I'm 100% confident about this. a few people would get into accidents though for sure

but as you say, anything above 600+hp really needs it but it varies from car to car as to how much the electronics 'interefere'

I think something that ferrari are good as it making the driver unaware of what the electronics as actually doing

Johnny_Bravo and Lukeylikey like this.
  18. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Funnily enough one can still turn it off entirely and then spin like a pro. :D

19. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I was responding to the term 'electronics' which intentionally encompassed all that I described. Also did recognize that there are all sorts of reasons for these. However, they don't need most of the weight of where we are heading especially in the US. Too many worthless electronics. Too much unnecessary complication.

The average vehicle has 100 ECUs not because of regulations. There is no reason for a car to transmit RF. No reason for a shark fin. No reason for computer screens. The control electronics are not light when you weigh the copper harnesses to interconnect them to each other and all the sensors. Even the F12 has four large racked ECUs behind the panel where the chassis badge is located. The 812 combined them into just two but they are more than twice as heavy.

day355 likes this.
  20. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Beg to differ, sir. Electronics and electric drive are two totally different things.

Have you ever picked up an ECU? It weighs about 100 gramms. 100 ECUs amount to about 10 kilos. Less actually, but I will give you that. You want to count 10 more kilos for the wiring? 20 kilos all in all, then. When I was at uni, I used to drink more than that on a good weekend. :p Granted, it was a UK Uni, but still... ;)

21. Johnny_Bravo

Dec 7, 2012
    Those with NA engines

22. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    My friend I have held many hundreds of them! Likely thousands now that I think of it. Connectors are massive and the harnesses OEMs like to heat in an oven to get them flexible enough to lay the length of the chassis. And then there are the orange copper cables that run from the massive batteries under the cabin to the top of the engine on hybrids. The diameter on them is greater than the lines powering my house.

Did you know that the ECUs on some diesel trucks are cooled by the cooler fuel in the gas tank? They are driven by fuel pumps through radiators built into the massive aluminum ECU housings and then on to the engine. The point here is that most electronics are not necessary and take away from the goodness that a light and powerful sports car should be.

23. FF4X4

FF4X4 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2016
    Here is another example: I worked on a project with Toyota, converting the wire harness to aluminum core in order to achieve an overall lower vehicle weight. It all adds up. A lighter vehicle can be more efficient.
    Note: My involvement was to environmentally seal the exposed wire ends, where they were crimped into pins, for the connectors.

JTSE30 and Johnny_Bravo like this.
  24. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Once again, I was only referring to control electronics, not hybrid systems and their paraphernalia.

Which electronics do you deem unnecessary? Because I can't think of a modern car without ABS and ESP; not to mention that they are mandatory by law.

Senad likes this.
  25. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Really everything but intermittent wipers, ABS and airbags. We don't need:

Radar
    Cameras
    Auto steer
    Lane change monitor
    Auto park
    Smart cruise control
    WIFI Hot spot
    Digital gauges
    Bluetooth
    Navigation
    OTA updates
    Cellular interfaces
    Any kind of connectivity
    Digital oil level and change calculators
    Remote start
    Remote door locks

and a whole bunch of extra code in all those ECUs for proprietary protocols you know nothing about.. Just to name a few.

What is nice to have but also unnecessary:

Tire TPMS display with pressure and temperature
    Radio
    Multi-zone AC controllers
    Heated wheel and seats
    Auto windows

Keep in mind that when you lock/unlock the doors or turn on your blinkers there is no +12V switching via relay. Instead there is a microcontroller acknowledging the button press and then discreet CAN bus commands sent via multiple network subnets and permissioned by firewalls. All that is way too complicated than it needs to be or ever has been.

Bas, babgh and Johnny_Bravo like this.