Testarossa Price Trends | Page 299 | FerrariChat

Testarossa Price Trends

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Mr.Chairman, Dec 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
  2. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Are you suggesting something?

3. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    Only 171 miles?
    That aside, guessing $235k sold.

Attached Files:

4. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    #7455 lagunacc, Dec 3, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    There's also a nasty scratch on the right headlight bucket. The engine pad is disintegrating, etc.

But neither of those things contest the mileage or have much of an impact on that car's worth.

Considering examples with no special provenance and 3k+ miles did 250k+ that one should be $350k+ at minimum.

For some context - that gold one apparently did $240k. Jean Todt's mint, signed TR with 5k miles sold for ~$200k at a Ferrari Approved dealer with 1 year warranty etc.

5. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    It was in a museum I think. Probably sat in a bunch and pushed around.

6. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    that scratch is from the cotter pin on the front strut. I have a matching scratch on mine.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    That may be the case, but if I’m paying top dollar for a delivery miles / time capsule type example, it better look the part. This one doesn’t.

If it were listed on BaT, I’d have assigned a higher projected sale price. PCarMarket is not BaT. I’m guessing the seller didn’t like BaT’s reserve price…

8. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Yep, not a big deal.

However, this is surprising. Can't believe they didn't bother to clean what appears to be mouse droppings on the right side of the engine, at least.
    And note the speakers also.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22205/lot/114/

ChipG likes this.
  9. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    That car is an obvious fraud - plain and simple.

Testarossa Sean and V4NG0 like this.
  10. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    #7461 lagunacc, Dec 3, 2022

Someone paid $250k and it looked like that. Why Bonhams and the seller would elect to list it without cleaning it is strange.
    But, it can have 171 miles and be in that state. The speakers and the shift knob in the Bonhams pics are more difficult to explain.
    But the rest of the interior and details look correct - zero wear on the gas pedal, no scratches on the instrument pod, steering wheel is in the ball park, perfect door lock trim, no dash issues, no windshield delamination.

Looks correct to me, albeit neglected at some point based on the Bonhams pics.

The museum that owns it has some very high end and rare cars including the TR based FX.
    https://marconimuseum.org/car-collection/

As I recall Pcarmarket had the car with a BIN of around $600k before.
    BTW, they have better reviews, no BBB complaints etc.

ChipG likes this.
  11. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Yeah… perhaps. Maybe the owner stored it out back in a run down barn with his chickens. Likely he got in/out each day to pretend drive the car. Never moved. Just got in and out. Just flipped the headlights up and down for fun.

Hmmm…. nope, can’t buy in on my theory.

I’d put it at 14 to 15,000 miles, WITH crappy care.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    :D:rolleyes:

Come on now, that's hyperbole. Check the dash and steering wheel. You got 3k cars with the instrument pod scratched up.

That small amount of wear on the seat bolster is nothing - have you seen the way Leno drops into the seat?
    Plus, the seat bottoms look correct.

Many 14k cars have the gas pedal polished all the way across. That one doesn't have any part of the pedal down to the metal.
    The thread and texture on the steering wheel would be nowhere near that at 14k. Look at the undercarriage, hose fittings, etc.

You can fake a few elements but you can't fake a consistent patina across the entire car.

Agreed on the prior neglect given the Bonhams pics.

Here's 5k miles - note the details, and that's ignoring the gaps, etc.

https://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/1988_ferrari_testarossa_BD805921-1397-483D-BF09-DD52B8D4B4FF-45645-scaled.jpeg
    https://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/1988_ferrari_testarossa_DSC09875-43970-scaled.jpg

https://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/1988_ferrari_testarossa_DSC09872-43937-scaled.jpg
    https://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/1988_ferrari_testarossa_DSC09858-43789-scaled.jpg

13. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    #7464 ChipG, Dec 3, 2022
    I know of a 39 mile testarossa with the same prob, father of 3 boys, they sit in it, neighbors come over and sit in it, cocktail parties people want to sit in it...

Veedub00 likes this.
  14. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I can't tell, is the leather on top the dash pulled back?

I wonder why the 8 ball has been changed or is that a protective white wrapper? parts look like a 171 mile car and other parts do not, the engine bay, man, looks like a 40k mile car...

the more I look at it $235 will be a lot for this car

15. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    These engines are essentially open air. Tons of dirt accumulates even just sitting there.

16. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    Are you absolutely, verifiably sure it had 39 miles? If someone refuses to drive it to preserve it for whatever reason, then have to think they aren’t letting people in and out if it all the time without concern.

I put almost 7k miles on my TR, getting in and out hundreds of times, not to mention others who sat in it from friends to admirers to mechanics, and didn’t put this kind wear and tear on the bolster. Your guy must have been charging admission…

I was told by a 40-year factory tech that very few of these actually have few miles on them. Odometer disconnect is/was too easy and too common over the decades especially early on when documentation was scarcer.

Too many believers and not enough skeptics IMO. If it has 39 or 171 miles on it and doesn’t look like it = pretty sensible and easy conclusion.

turbo-joe likes this.
  17. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Are you looking at the Bonhams pics or the current ones? The white knob and speakers are replaced.

I'd say no chance it would be let go for 235k and it would be right considering the comps.

If you guys have pics of a better dash, instrument pod and console post them.

ChipG likes this.
  18. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013

Agree with being critical, but focusing on the small wear on the seat bolster and handbrake trim and ignoring the rest doesn't make sense.
    It can have 171 or 500 miles and show that bolster wear. Not everyone is careful or can be careful getting in.
    It would have been easy to touch that up if they wanted to hide it.

The gas pedal, steering wheel, dash, console, undercarriage, wheels, panel gaps indicate very low mileage.

The engine bay in the Bonhams pics shows obvious neglect. If they wanted to hide something they certainly wouldn't have
    listed it like that. Still, someone looked beyond the mouse droppings and paid 250k.

Disconnecting the odo is easy on any classic F.

19. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    ChipG likes this.
  20. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    #7471 lagunacc, Dec 4, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
    No mouse droppings = must not have 171 miles ;)

How about a pic of your seats and steering wheel?

Mine has double the miles, perfect dash top.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    ChipG likes this.
  22. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Sorry, sold the car last fall :(
    Actually, I should show like this since one eye has gone south .(

wouldn’t be fair to show my seats, I did some dye work. The steering wheel looks perfect at 18k. It had +/-16k miles when I bought it in 1997 and the seats looked ‘about’ like those on the ‘171’ mile car.

23. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    I know. But it will always be "your car" and one of the best.

Point being that mileage is like stats. It doesn't tell the whole story.

vincenzo likes this.
  24. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013