Replacement key/fob distance | FerrariChat

Replacement key/fob distance

Discussion in '360/430' started by johnep, Dec 3, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnep

johnep Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2022
    Seacoast NH
    Full Name:
    John Powell
    Hello all. I had two keys made with the fob in them. I moved the Immobilize antenna to outside the metal cover. My factory fob works from 20-30-feet away. The new ones I have to have them within inches of the drivers window for them to work. Any one else had this happen. Seems its the first the guy that made the keys for me has heard of such a thing. Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Well...seems a broadcast issue from the fob.....looking at these myself...hmmm

johnep likes this.
  3. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    johnep likes this.
  4. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I had the exact same problem when I received my key from @gobble (or so I thought) but what I found is that you can't just "blip" the button really quickly or it will only work at close range. You need to press the button and hold it down for maybe 200 milliseconds (i.e. give it a good press). If you do this, is has great range, just like before. Mine works from 15 feet away, even with the car cover on.

johnep, Qavion and BrettC like this.
  5. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    I would say the range is not quite as good as the original, but I've obviously installed many of these personally. I've seen them work across a warehouse and it never fails I accidentally press the fob button when cutting the key from a distance and hear a car chip.

Agree you need a solid press and not just a quick click.

I just ran an immobilizer out to the backyard to test fob range. It was good up to 75 feet and could work it up to 90 feet if I held the fob up to my chin. Not too bad.

https://youtube.com/shorts/YESfpaY--JU

I've had people send me immobilizers with antennas that had extensions soldered on. I may play with that and see if it increases range further.

[​IMG]

johnep likes this.
  6. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Well, this is interesting. Nobody ever complains about my fob work, so when someone does it gets the wheels inside my head spinning.

I just made a quick little antenna extension to put inside the fob, and I can easily get it to work now at a distance of 152 feet, even farther if I touch the fob to my chin. I'll do some tinkering but see an upgrade in the works (that can be fitted to existing fobs).

The proof -

Naked fob - https://youtube.com/shorts/9MMNpVgJ3QY

With covers - https://youtube.com/shorts/Yb_7K8mpCWE

[​IMG]

arizonaitalian, E60 M5 and johnep like this.
  7. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    One last post on this. Maybe some criticism in a public forum can lead to constructive things...

Some tinkering with the fob's antenna on my end has SIGNIFICANTLY increased the range of these things. Tested to 150+ feet outside and I can now operate an immobilizer in my basement from most of the house, from behind walls, refrigerators, a sound proofed theater room, etc. I'm amazed at the difference. The range now exceeds the OEM Bosch fobs.

To anyone that has purchased one of these, please get in touch and we'll get you upgraded to the new antenna solution at no charge.

[​IMG]

8. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    Mark, the fact that you took constructive criticism and re-engineered your product to make it better instead of getting butt hurt says a lot about you as a person and your character.

9. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Thanks. A few of these should be in peoples hands in the next couple days so I’m excited to hear the result.

arizonaitalian and E60 M5 like this.
  10. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    I had a real world test of this today. I showed up with two all-in-one keys cut in advance from a photo and installed them into a 355. The keys both worked flawlessly both in the door and ignition. The fob range was a good 100 feet after placing the immobilizer back in the car. That distance was in a shop and through some wood stud walls.

I’m very comfortable shipping these fobs with the distance that has been achieved. I think everyone will be pleased.

Need4Spd, EastMemphis and Qavion like this.
  11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mark- Another miracle. Congrats.

gobble likes this.
  12. Mavric544

Mavric544 Rookie

Nov 15, 2014
    NY
    Hey Guys,

Mark just completed pin retrieval and fob replacement for my F355. He was was super accommodating by coming to my office in NY and his product was top notch. I can also speak to his desire to make sure everything worked perfect. We tested walking through my office/warehouse to test the distance of the fobs and had nod issue through multiple walls and roughly 100' away from the car. I'm very pleased and would highly recommend him.

13. johnep

johnep Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2022
    Seacoast NH
    Full Name:
    John Powell
    I cant wait to get mine back.