Official book collectors thread | Page 204 | FerrariChat

Official book collectors thread

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by lil squid, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joejackson

joejackson Karting

Aug 18, 2006
    Muenster/Germany
    Full Name:
    Gert S
    Got my copy last Saturday. I had it also on my want list. Motors Mania's offer sealed the deal. Also very good packaging.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Hi Jack, thanks for that. I haven't seen the magazine yet.
    Nathan

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    ... quoting myself :p

Just ordered the book (now in stock) for a mere €40, using lego VIP points.

Rosey, of2worlds and Buchpilot like this.
  4. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Good one, I think you'll be surprised with some of the information inside in regards to the real SP3 Daytona development.

Buchpilot likes this.
  5. Halfwit

Halfwit Rookie

Mar 17, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    Charlie Lodge

One of the best and most detailed books on a single model around. Paid the €399 on pre order last year no regrets,a masterpiece.

LVP488 and Juli like this.
  6. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Due to covid restrictions, the motoring books I have bought over the last two years haven't yet got merged into the rest of the collection. While that was the case, I thought I would take a picture of them together and here it is. Do I need help?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

As I was putting them away, I noticed I had missed a few (there are also a couple of others I don't have to hand):

That's about one addition every two weeks on average. And that's faster than I can read them even without taking into account the plethora of magazines (and a few non-car books too).

NürScud, seb333, Ferri and 11 others like this.
  7. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Love it :)

Zeltweg and Buchpilot like this.
  8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    You have a bad case of gluttonitis...congrats:D

9. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Jonathan, you must have a great library.
    Nathan

10. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Well, quite big anyway. It does include a few books by that Nathan Beehl chap!

11. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Thank you for supporting the poor author
    Nathan

Rosey and Jack-the-lad like this.
  12. Lars T.

Lars T. Karting

Dec 3, 2022
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Lars T.
    Hi Jonathan, long time no see ;)

Some wonderful purchases in those pics, I estimate about half of them found their way into my collection too. Plus a few Porsche books too, of course :p

Ciao, Lars

Buchpilot and ivo73 like this.
  13. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I don't think I have bought as many Ferrari (and a few non Ferrari) books between early 2020 and today then at any other period in my collecting life.

Covid and lockdown certainly gave me plenty of time to surf the net and locate many new and old books to add to my library while having the time to relax and enjoy them.

Nembo1777, 375+, Lusso123 and 4 others like this.
  14. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    Same here ;) In the last two years I spent so much time and money on motor books as never before. 2023 will be a year of reading and enjoying, not so much spending.

Rosey, ivo73 and gt4me like this.
  15. Lars T.

Lars T. Karting

Dec 3, 2022
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Lars T.
    Let‘s wait & see if you can keep that promise to yourself Sven! ;)

Ciao, Lars

Buchpilot likes this.
  16. Lars T.

Lars T. Karting

Dec 3, 2022
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Lars T.
    Hi Jonathan, for several years I managed to completely ignore the Ferrari book market, concentrating instead on Porsche first and later anything else. But in the end, I surrendered after all. I then caught up with all of these purchased within two weeks about six months ago. So much for principles ;)

NürScud, ivo73, Dino2010 and 6 others like this.
  17. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    You've chosen some really great books there.

Buchpilot, Lars T. and jm2 like this.
  18. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    Today, my SP3 Daytona LEGO book was delivered.

As LEGO as a world-class company (so I thought) put the book without any (!) protection in a huge paper carton, the book is slightly damaged at two corners / sides ... And delivery took a while, because LEGO wrote to me that there were so many book orders, that they couldn't cope with it ... Ridiculous!

As far as the book itself is concerned, I have to say that the huge criticism of it in this thread is not justified in my opinion (but of course, I respect and fully understand any other view you can have on the whole matter).

The book supplies an abundance of information and images about the develoment of the SP3, with many interviews of the people involved at Maranello. As there is, to my knowledge, no other publication about the SP3 except some pages in the 2021 yearbook and TOFM, it is the best publication you can get on the SP3 as of now.

The second half of the book is completely dedicated to the LEGO car, which does not interest me and which for me as a non-LEGO aficionado is rather boring.

As a conclusion, I would say: it's a good buy for just 59.99 euros, if you like the SP3. But it is definitely no precious collectors' item and I would rather prevent anybody from paying high prices at eBay.

19. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I also received the lego book today - thankfully it arrived in perfect condition; the sending had also been delayed for a while. For the 40 euros I paid (using some lego reward) I think it's pretty good value for money. I'm happy I did not pay hundreds of euros just to get the addition of a slipcase.

Rosey, ivo73, Zeltweg and 1 other person like this.
  20. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I received an ad today from David Bull Publishing offering two books from Octane Press. I don’t recall Bull ever selling books from another publisher except in the case of the Ferrari biography, for which Bull was the U.S, publisher, I believe,

21. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    I am in awe of you serious collectors! I still do buy books (trying not to alert my wife to them!) and really do have no space to store them.
    But sometimes you just can't resist. In the last year and a bit I have bought the following - and all for good reasons which I attach.
    Marcel Gandini - Maestro of Design. The most expensive book I have ever bought. And all for the 20 or so pages on the Ferrari I own - a Dino 308GT4. But an amazing 2 volume book and I have no regrets
    CH.Pozzi. I bought this because I met Jean-Claude Andruet when I took my car to the Chinon Classic last June. Enjoyed talking to him in a mixture of French and English, but wished I'd read the book before I met him.
    The Past and the Spurious. Recently recommended to me by Jonathan Tremlett. An interest to me as I followed the 375 Plus case for years including going to the London court case hearings. The book is much more than that and a really good read.

I am about to buy "Mike Wilds -A Life on the Wild Side". Not Ferrari, but I know him and he has an interesting story to tell.
    And other than that. I persuaded my son to give me Paul McCartney's "The Lyrics" as a Xmas present last year!

So many more I would like but finances and space forbid.

22. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    To add to Jack's post above, David Bull Publishing is offering some significant discounts on existing stock. I had emailed them about whether this meant they were winding down operations now that David was no longer at the helm, but it appears that is not the case:

"We have two books we are trying to complete next year, in addition to the Enzo PE ... One is going to be volume 1 (likely to be a total of 7 volumes) of Randy Leffingwell's Porsche Racing history which is going to be something no one has ever done and no one will ever try to replicate. It is pretty epic. We are planning on launching that at the Rennsport event next September. And the second is a Luigi Chinetti / NART book written by the late Michael Lynch."

23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Terrific news, I hope that it happens! Fingers crossed.

Rosey and Zeltweg like this.
  24. Lars T.

Lars T. Karting

Dec 3, 2022
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Lars T.
    Wow! That is interesting news, thanks! Would you mind if I quote that in my Porsche literature collectors group on Facebook?

Thanks, Lars

25. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    That’s great news. I note, though, that “trying to complete next year” isn’t exactly confidence inspiring, especially given the book’s path up until now. I wonder who has come into the project to give it sufficient impetus to get it done in 12 months.

I’m trying to figure out what “the Enzo PE” refers to.