812 Replacement Rumors | Page 95 | FerrariChat

812 Replacement Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Thecadster, Jun 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Seems correct.

2. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    From previous:

Front hinged bonnet
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

GPF/OPF/PPF

Extra quiet exhaust per EU 'noise regulations'

probably mandatory, non-defeatable ADAS such as lane keeping, speed limiting, automatic emergency braking (AEB)

https://www.engadget.com/eu-intelligent-speed-assistance-vehicles-anti-speeding-europe-000007992.html

https://bmdv.bund.de/SharedDocs/EN/Articles/StV/Roadtraffic/new-vehicle-safety-systems.html

The lane keep is already shown on the Lamborghini test mule:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

and 'an interesting roof' that we will all be talking about...

3. Soleith

Soleith Karting

Dec 30, 2020
    Surrey, UK
    I was pretty sure that the legislation for speed limiting was defeatable for the time being so it's just another button to turn off alongside start/stop. If they're smart they'll make it programmable so you can link the two and hit one button to defeat both...

350MH83 likes this.
  4. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    by "mandatory" on speed limiting, I meant it will be mandatory part of the car, which means it will be an irritant, but, in current regulation it is possible to overcome it but with noticeable effort..as shown below, it must be switchable (i.e. turn off)

some recent details:

https://www.mapbox.com/blog/new-eu-intelligent-speed-assistance-requirements

REDUCING VEHICLE SPEED
    Intelligent Speed Adaptation uses several systems to reduce vehicle speed. Here are four of the most common:

*Cascaded acoustic warning - Provides a delayed acoustic warning
    *Cascaded vibrating warning - Provides a delayed vibrating warning
    *Haptic feedback (gas pedal) - Pushes the driver's foot away from the pedal
    *Speed control function - Gradually reduces engine power

<...>

Along with the must-have features for all motor vehicles after mid-2022, the new directive has the following ISA specifications:

*The ISA system must turn on every time the car starts
    *The driver is able to switch off the ISA system

*The driver must be aware of whether the ISA system is on or off
    *The system will not prohibit the driver from exceeding the speed limit
    *The driver must be audibly notified if they have exceeded the appropriate speed limit

###

https://www.20splenty.org/what_is_isa

The directive has the following minimum requirements:

*it shall be possible for the driver to be made aware through the accelerator control, or through dedicated, appropriate and effective feedback, that the applicable speed limit is exceeded;

*it shall be possible to switch off the system; information about the speed limit may still be provided, and intelligent speed assistance shall be in normal operation mode upon each activation of the vehicle master control switch;

*the dedicated and appropriate feedback shall be based on speed limit information obtained through the observation of road signs and signals, based on infrastructure signals or electronic map data, or both, made available in-vehicle;

*it shall not affect the possibility, for the drivers, of exceeding the system’s prompted vehicle speed;

*its performance targets shall be set in order to avoid or minimise the error rate under real driving conditions.

5. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Maybe they will (finally) get this one right…..

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

keithos27 likes this.
  6. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    All these systems are defeatable in all cars, in the EU market at least.

PS: Never liked clamshell/front hinged bonnets. Had it in a BMW E34 back in the day and it was a hassle to gain access to certain parts.

7. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    In a way...

350MH83 and ANOpax like this.
  8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    What engine bay is that from? Lots of plastic, hidden engine and unattractive.

9. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Ferrari Purosangue

Avia11 likes this.
  10. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    As someone who loves his SF and has a GTS on order, I am curious why you haven’t connected. Makes me want to keep my SF until I know for sure the GTS is superior for my application. I have a pre-GPF SF and I’m a little nervous about the GPF equipped GTS.

of2worlds and italiafan like this.
  11. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I’m not planning to ever sell my SF. Spectacular car. I do plan to acquire the 167 if possible.

12. ab08

ab08 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2007
    I think the GPF setup on the 812 GTS is definitely bassier, it has a very nice echo. Ferrari made some tweaks to the GTS to compensate for having GPF.
    The 812 SF pre-GPF is more high-pitched, sharper, with a little less echo in my opinion.
    Both 10/10. It depends on each one's preference. If you can keep the SF until the GTS arrives to make your choice, do it.

13. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I have previously posted that I refused to take formal possession of one of the very 1st GTS’ ordered here in the states after driving it for 15 minutes (roof opened) the day it arrived at the dealer. I immediately went home, drove my ‘19 SF and then called my dealer to say I will not be taking delivery of the GTS.
    Last of the pure Ferrari V12 engine note and the exhilarating sensation it provides, which I personally felt the GPF diluted very noticeably. Others have posted differently as these are subjective things to the eyes and ears of the beholder. This was MY experience - and will keep my SF forever!

14. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    To each his own. I loved by preGPF 812SF and found it to be the perfect car except for one thing- it had a roof.
    The GTS is bassier but just as loud at start up and a bit more muted at normal ie legal speeds(and thus more neighbor friendly)Turn the mannetino to Race, dip into the pedal and it’s sounds great. I love the GTS but find it a less than perfect car- not for the sound but for the more cramped feeling inside the car as the seat does not recline as much as the 812SF( I am 6’2”). But I wouldn’t trade the GTS for anything as I love top down driving too much and the GTS does everything else so so well.
    We splitting hairs here. I eagerly await the replacements with and without roofs. If the spider version of the F167 fixes my only complaint about the GTS it will probably be my forever car.

RamsHmb and Caeruleus11 like this.
  15. ab08

ab08 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2007
    #2365 ab08, Dec 4, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
    Sad to see the V12 with half the cylinders hidden, and inside an SUV.
    This is a real waste of V12 production. ~7,000 state-of-the art V12s, which could be in a sports car, will go to an SUV.
    I don't want to inflame those who liked PS. The car is well made overall, within its segment. The concept, the idea, that bothers me a lot. If they wanted to get on the "SUV wave", they could have used the 296's V6+hybrid.
    By the way, this says that Ferrari itself does not place 100% confidence in the hybrid/electric "trend", nor in the SUV concept. The brand hybridized two models with "traditional" sports bodywork, and brought a traditional aspirated V12 to the SUV. They didn't want to combine electrification and "SUVization" in the same product. They didn't put both feet in the water as it can be very cold!
    We could be arguing here on FChat about a normal production mid-rear V12 to co-exist in line with the F167, as in the golden days when the 365 GTB/4 Daytona and 365 GT4 BB briefly co-existed in 1973.
    And now that we have such an advanced F140...
    Today Ferrari have, in the normal range, a V12 SUV, and no rear-engined V12 sportscar.

Strange days we're living in.

16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    #2366 italiafan, Dec 4, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
    It is very hard to describe, and likely more about me and where I am in my “car hobby” than anything to do with the GTS itself. The GTS feels more “gentlemanly” than the more boisterous SF. To be fair though the car only has about 325 miles on it and I’ve driven her very gently for breakin. The cockpit is more cramped and so I got CF racing seats which look beautiful but are as hard as a rock…this is not a car I would want to drive for 3 hours straight. I think it sounds fine, but not as “ripping and snorting” as the SF. My SF was red/black and was like an evil temptress begging me to take her out for a thrash. My GTS is absolutely gorgeous with Sanu silver and two-tone brown interior—almost too pretty and perfect.
    I’ll log more miles this winter to try and recapture that magic.
    I have also had two insurance claims in the last 4 months for about a half million bucks and dread the thought of some schmuck crashing into my GTS and having to make a third call…

Thecadster likes this.
  17. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    Same with my SF. Best Supercar ever made IMO

dolphins08430, KenU and JTSE30 like this.
  18. ab08

ab08 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2007
    I read your story, that sounds like post-traumatic stress.
    As you were with the 488 in the incident, your mind associated it with the Ferrari, and the traumatic trigger is coming when you go to use the Speciale and the GTS. And you're not having that with the GT3 and the Corvette, because the mind isn't associating these with what happened.
    Perhaps the best way is to face the anxiety trigger directly, and drive the Speciale and GTS until the trauma passes. The good experiences will outweigh the trauma. The mind will recover. And time is a medicine.
    Hope you are well soon!

19. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Amen brother!

The SF is not a GT……understandably confused as one at posted speed limits on public roads……..

20. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Are you aware that cars get louder the more they are driven which burns the cats in?

I think a short test drive in a brand new car is not going to give you the full experience.

May the Horse be with you

Lagunae92 likes this.
  21. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I think you are 100% on the money.

Thecadster, ab08 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  22. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Yes, I am. Thanks!

23. mepassione

mepassione Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Passione
    Speaking about GPF i said it before this is the reason why i did not order a GTS when I heard the sound at the launch in Italy.
    The Competizione will have gpf as well anyone who’s driven it can comment on thr sound? Would be great to have some thoughts and how it compares to the tdf or even a pre gpf 812. Thank you!

24. mepassione

mepassione Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Passione
    Doesn’t sound great in that video

Thecadster likes this.
  25. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    All that makes perfect sense. I hate that you went through that accident. I sounded really scary and miserable. A knucklehead crossing the double yellow while texting has officially replaced an errant deer in terms of the biggest risk all of us face when driving our cars.