Gated Ferrari 575M FHP v Ferrari Roma | FerrariChat

Gated Ferrari 575M FHP v Ferrari Roma

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Themaven, Dec 2, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    The former is one I own, the latter is one I have for the next week. People say the Roma is a modern day Maranello. Other people say it’s a fixed roof Cali/Portofino.

I have driven the Roma just for one day so far. And so far there are similarities to the Maranellos, long bonnet front engined sports GT Ferrari with style and smart handling.

Stats say Roma has 612 bhp to 575’s 515. It’s an 8 speed DCT not a 6 speed gated. 2022 vs 2004. And counterintuitively, a couple of hundred kilos lighter than the 575.

What I’m interested in is the driving experience. 599 onwards are a different type of car to the Maranellos. I will report back and try and post some side by sides. I know nobody here is cross shopping the two cars but anyway.

dr_rob, masinari, tantumaude and 5 others like this.
  2. Talon38

Talon38 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike Lambert
    Look forward to your evaluation!

3. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I'm going to see a Roma tomorrow. Mainly, I want to see if I think it's better looking in person, because I WANT to like it but I'm just not sure. Will be interesting to get your opinion

4. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Obviously very different cars and I can only assume… I’ve test driven a Roma for a day and was pleasantly surprised by the power and especially the handling. Gonna be much more nimble than the 575. I have a FF and F12 TDF (front V12’s) and they are not nearly as nimble as the Roma. I take that back with the TDF because of the RWS. I just think the Roma is going to be much more agile than the 575. That would be my choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Roma = 4 sandwiches short of a picnic.

Very pretty though - much better looking than most of Ferrari's recent offerings.

Boomhauer and Aerosurfer like this.
  6. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    It is. Still not sure about the grille though. It looks nice on the silver car I looked at yesterday, but the reds, blues, etc...too much color up front for my taste.

Overall, though I do think it's the best looking thing they've done in years, 812 right behind that.

F456M and Bluebottle like this.
  7. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    I had one for a day and could not get on with the interior-neither the style nor the haptic controls and screens.

masinari likes this.
  8. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Interesting to hear others’ views. I am reserving my verdict for a few more days with the car. Although 6c/43F drizzle is not ideal for a car on P Zeros.

9. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
  10. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick

From the Roma forums… your thoughts on the grill are already being explored

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/roma-with-classic-front-bumper.668402/

Spider2400 and Shorn355 like this.
  11. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Shorn355 and Bluebottle like this.
  12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Original grille, regardless of color, just does not do it for me. The modded one looks great.

Shorn355, 575, red27 and 3 others like this.
  13. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    It’s an odd choice, isn’t it? I’m just not sure what they were going for.

14. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I did a brief Roma test drive.
    It was fine.
    Which for a Ferrari is not fine.

15. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    To be fair though there was little opportunity to exploit the performance, which having owned a Lusso V8T I know is there.

16. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Yeah, I had the 550 NEW, Now a 575....Drove the Roma more than once.
    Here is why IMHO you cant compare. The 550 was at the time the top dog then.
    The Roma is the entry car now.
    I like it but.......and I would love to LOVE IT but.......
    The front grille.....
    The flat side boards like the Aston or Jag Ftype....
    Ehhhh, its a nice car but........
    See the theme?
    IMHO. Unless you wait a year and it tanks 60 percent.
    Then okay but the 550/575 , there is a feeling when it goes buy, a RICH feeling a COMMANDING feeling.
    I just dont think the Roma in real life is the same.....IMHO
    GTJOEY1314

17. masinari

masinari Karting

Jun 30, 2005
    Manhattan; California; Italy; Shanghai
    Full Name:
    Matthew Asinari DSM
    With new grille made by someone outside - not even Ferrari - it is better but it is odd because the car is not even an original Ferrari anymore with it... and fixed with some other company fixer upper design.

And now ....someone has to fix the back taillights!!! Very weak too. Too generic.

Imagine.. you are driving and seeing this car ahead....The car is too far away..Wait..Is it an Aston? Wait..maybe a new Mc Laren? or I got it. I think it is a Jaguar.

Now let's see it on the side profile...yes it 'kind of' swooping and nice.. but i like it only because it reminds me of another car, the more beautiful Maranello...

Then I may as well like the original Maranello, with a V12. Might as well get the original.

BTW What is happening at Ferrari management and marketing? Enzo is turning in his grave. Roma, Portofino. Are we getting a Ferrari Venezia soon?

Even the model name tells that the car was designed by marketers for a tourist market strategy...they should make it come with a free Vespa.

Yet, I am sure is a great car to drive. But many modern cars do that as well.

Ferrari55whoa and Bluebottle like this.
  18. masinari

masinari Karting

Jun 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Matthew Asinari DSM
    #18 masinari, Dec 15, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2022
    The whole car has beauty...

but it is ruined by the wrong emotional design components and attention details that convey cheap.

I can not look at that grille again for more than a sec....that is totally chicken or rabbit coop!! Now I buy a car and after delivery I have to take it to a local tuning/accessory auto parts store to buy a Ferrari looking grille to make it look like they should have done it?

The Ferrari logo placed on the glass window that looks like an adhesive decal??? Not good. A timeless brand name and logo icon should be positioned in special place, bolted metal on metal, as a precious, enduring jewel.

NOT GOOD :)

Bluebottle likes this.
  19. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    What was the rear tail light MOD?
    I love the grille mod.......
    gtjoey1314

20. masinari

masinari Karting

Jun 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Matthew Asinari DSM
    I don't think they have done it yet.I am afraid it would require a restyling of the entire back lid or bumper.

PS. Fundamentally it is really an overall Ferrari in-house design and marketing team problem: generic styling and lost DNA branding with the new entry level cars. The high end models are fine.

Thank god the engine and and chassis engineers are always doing an amazing job with both the old and new cars, so that helps save the overall Ferrari's image and brand.

21. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Whats funny is if you look at the current F TYPE or current Vantage, both suffered the same outcome.
    The minute the Vantage came out there were after market grille designs and the same with the F type.
    All 3 are the same era and all 3 suffered the design by committee vote.
    Thats why there is NO NAME that stands out today in design, Callum being really the last.
    That capristo grille really transforms the car.
    gtjoey1314

masinari and Bluebottle like this.
  22. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Got the Roma for a drive when my 812 SF was at Service.

It's a fantastic car which impressed me very much.

Daniel

masinari likes this.
  23. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    So, to answer my original question when I started this thread, and which is why this thread is here rather than in the Roma section. Is the Roma a modern day Maranello? Observers of exam questions will note that this is not the same as whether the Roma is a good car or not, which is a separate question for a separate section.

I can conclude wholeheartedly that the Roma is not a modern day Maranello. It has nothing in common with the Maranellos apart from having a Ferrari badge, four wheels, and a front engine. Not remotely similar in any facet of the driving experience, qualitatively or quantitatively. I'm sorry I even asked the question.

Whether Ferrari will produce a car similar to the Maranellos, who knows. But anyway, this ain't it.

masinari likes this.
  24. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- A peek under the hood and a count of cylinders could have sped up that process.

Themaven, bruzzifumi and Bluebottle like this.
  25. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Having owned a Gated 575 with FHP and now a Roma which just arrived.

My thoughts are;

The 575 steering was more precise as the Roma’s steering feels vague to me.

The Roma makes a nice noise albeit quite synthetic. The 575 needs an exhaust.

These cars are from a completely different era and the performance of the Roma is just from another dimension and to be honest a 575 wouldn’t see which way the Roma went on a fast run!

The auto box in the Roma is frustratingly annoying as are the touch controls.

I think both cars are beautiful in their own way with the 575 having more Ferrariness about it if there is such a word??

https://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/nk2ss2nalp81

Ultimately the Roma is a far better daily driver and the 575 is a special car for special drives.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

May the Horse be with you

masinari, Bluebottle and Widowmaker like this.