458 - Recommended Snow Chains | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 Recommended Snow Chains

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by mjbcswitzerland, Nov 22, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cenanesirtgen

cenanesirtgen Rookie

Aug 17, 2022
    Full Name:
    Cenan esirtgen
    Well, I have been told that mine would be good if needed, given I drive on snow alone, and drive very slowly.
    I used Thule’s K-Summit K55 chains. I belive Thule sold the chains division to König so now it is König K-summit chains.
    I never intend to use them, just keep them for emergencies.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

mjbcswitzerland likes this.
  2. mjbcswitzerland

mjbcswitzerland Karting

Jan 8, 2008
    SoftwareDrone and Ash Patel like this.
  3. mjbcswitzerland

mjbcswitzerland Karting

Jan 8, 2008
    Great, I will take a look too.
    Yes, that is the exact same idea for me. I never intend to actually use them except in emergencies. I have driven my Ferraris exclusively on summer types for almost 30 years (not taking them if there were a perceived risk of snow) and had just two incidents where I would have been pleased to have something in the trunk to help out. If there were this thing in the trunk it would be better!

cenanesirtgen likes this.
  4. cenanesirtgen

cenanesirtgen Rookie

Aug 17, 2022
    Full Name:
    Cenan esirtgen
    Let me know if you need a link to the product etc.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. mjbcswitzerland

mjbcswitzerland Karting

Jan 8, 2008
  6. SD455TA

SD455TA Formula Junior

I can not believe you guys are running these things around in chains and I can not believe that you drive them in the winter. The salt damage from where I live outside of Chicago would decimate these cars in just 1 or 2 winters. The corrosion is abhorrent here. In your case i would just get the snowmobiles flying!

7. mjbcswitzerland

mjbcswitzerland Karting

Jan 8, 2008
    Still the reason for this thread seems to being constantly misinterpreted.
    People are jumping to the conclusion that I am on a suicide mission to drive in snow at 200 mph whereas the truth is I (virtually) have NEVER driven in snow and NEVER want to, but I do want to have some emergency solution in case it ever happened that I were caught out.

It is a bit like the puncher repair kit supplied with Ferraris - I hope I never need it and I probably would never use it if I could get a pick-up instead, but I am still glad to know it is there and also, if it weren't, it would presumably be illegal.

The legality part is the big thing in France in the winter season, even when it is otherwise almost perfect driving weather:

Yesterday I was driving the Spider open topped on wonderful roads at 700m above sea level at temperatures around 18°C.
    If I would have gone to 800mm the fact is that here I could theoretically be prosecuted and have the car impounded for not respecting the legal requirements. If one of these snow chain things fits I just want it in the car so that there is no more risk - I don't ever want to get snow near the car though, if that can be avoided!

Ash Patel and Beez like this.
  8. Don Molina

Don Molina Rookie

May 18, 2015
    I live in Switzerland, and I got my 488 last October. Got it on winter tires a month later, and ran it through all winter, with lots of snow days.
    It's a car, and it's a lovely one at that. You can run it without any issues other than ground clearance.

For legal requirements, you really only run a risk if there is weather or if you're involved in an accident. If neither condition applies, rare occasion to be stopped and checked by police for tires. I was in Italy yesterday, and after the 15th of Nov winter tires are a legal requirement. A Pista was there with Cup tires...

Also keep in mind that while Switzerland has no legal requirement for winter tires, if you're in an accident and don't have winter tires, Swiss insurance companies will place blame to you regardless, and will also not pay anything since they always claim "car unsuitable for the conditions". If I were you, I'd take the risk and keep an eye on the weather. If it turns bad, turn around and go the long way round.

9. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
  10. SD455TA

SD455TA Formula Junior

Do they use road salt out in Switzerland? I can not ever imagine driving my 2015 SpecialeA in the winter. All it takes is driving a car just a little bit in the winter and the corrosion will creep in over time rendering a car either a total restoration or a junkyard. At least thats how its always been here where I live, outside of Chicago. I have my daily driver that takes the winter abuse while my nice cars just relax for awhile.

11. mjbcswitzerland

mjbcswitzerland Karting

Jan 8, 2008
    I have been told that there is no clearance behind the wheel and that is why a system that only connects on the outside is needed.
    Also the alloys can get badly scratched with simpler chain systems.

Snapshift likes this.
  12. cenanesirtgen

cenanesirtgen Rookie

Aug 17, 2022
    Full Name:
    Cenan esirtgen
    Exactly the same just a difdetent branding.

13. alfheim

alfheim Rookie

Aug 25, 2008
    I would definetly go with a sock solution. much simpler and less likeley to cause a problem.
    https://autosock.com/products/autosock-hp850

never heard of anyone having any problems with fitment of these, and the take up very little space around the wheel compared to any other solution. If that's what it takes for a leagal requirement I wouldn't hesitate a second.

There is a section in the manual that says something about chains but i don't remember what it says right now.
    The snow socks are actually surprisingly good, but obviously, as with chains not a solution for driving over any distance, its a solution to getting up a hil or at best a few kilometers at low speed.

running a 458 that used to have winter tyres in Norway

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

14. cenanesirtgen

cenanesirtgen Rookie

Aug 17, 2022
    Full Name:
    Cenan esirtgen
    completely agreed, the only problem is that snow sock are legally not considered as snow chains in some countries and this might cause a little trouble if you are required to actually keep chains in the trunk of your car.
    Another problem might be, the tire size of Ferraris, I don't know if snow socks are produced for that width.
    Cheers,

15. cenanesirtgen

cenanesirtgen Rookie

Aug 17, 2022
    Full Name:
    Cenan esirtgen
    do you guys have winter tires fitted, I am getting mine fitted next week. Bought a complete new set of rims, sensors and caps for the winter set. I am not planning on driving in bad weather, but considering the wheel sping even in rainy conditions, winter tires might be a safe solution. I do need to watch my speed with winter tires, right?

16. mjbcswitzerland

mjbcswitzerland Karting

Jan 8, 2008
    In fact it is no problem finding socks that fit the tires - there are socks that fit even wider ones too. They are also all certified for use in Europe so that is not an issue.
    I wanted to use these but the guy in the store, who seemed rather knowledgeable, told me to put the ones I have found ($70 and perfect for 295/35 R20) back on the shelf since he said I would damage the car if I tried to use them. No idea if that is true but I put them back rather than taking the risk.
    So, in the meantime, seeing as the weather was glorious last Saturday, I did the 12 hour trip but avoided the stretch that I was worried about. I did a 30mile part where there was a chain obligation but it was so warm that it was quite obvious there would be no checks.
    Once home I cleaned the car and put it into hibernation - back in Switzerland it will snow shortly - until around April next year.
    This will give me time to work out a solution for next year:
    - my dealer said they had no idea what fits....
    - I wrote to Michelin about their product that seemingly is specified for the 458 and they never responded
    - No fitting was possible before I left so no luck there
    Basically still don't know what the solution is but at least there are some ideas and with some determination maybe something can be proven before the next potential need.
    Cheers
    Mark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Beez and cenanesirtgen like this.
  17. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Yes, typically limited to 150 kph. Usually listed on the sidewall.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

cenanesirtgen likes this.
  18. cenanesirtgen

cenanesirtgen Rookie

Aug 17, 2022
    Full Name:
    Cenan esirtgen
    First of all,
    Great videos… I really wishes I was driving there. Lovely car, lovely scenery.
    Snowsocks, or autosocks as the brand name ls so, are supposed to be a very short term emergency device. Basically, when you get stuck or are on a risky strech of road, you put them on and take them off as soon as the risk disappears.
    So for the very short duration of time, I don’t see how they would damage the car. Even if a minor damage (I still can’t see how this happens) occurs, it probably is much better then having crashed somewhere or went off the road into a ditch etc.
    So I would and probably will still have them in my trunk for those hopefully avoidable occasions, where I might need them to rescue myself.
    With the michelin, or the thule (Koenig) system, I have more confidence of not damaging anything. But the system is bulky itself, takes up much more space in the trunk, is heavy, more effort to put them on and as you must screw it in to a single lug, there is always a chance of damaging the lug or scratching something etc.
    so basically for me, I would use the Koenig K summit chains if I am in real trouble and have to drive all the way to safety. And I would use the socks to get out of a stuck situation by driving a short distance.
    As mentioned, I would not drive my Ferrari if there is a chance of ice or snow, but if I had, I really would want to have the socks or the chains with me. Repairable damage to some components of the car is always better than having to fly off the side of the road.

mjbcswitzerland likes this.
  19. cenanesirtgen

cenanesirtgen Rookie

Aug 17, 2022
    Full Name:
    Cenan esirtgen
    Thank you for the reply. I will check as soon as a I fit the winter tires.

20. mjbcswitzerland

mjbcswitzerland Karting

Jan 8, 2008
    cenanesirtgen
    Thanks, I think the consensuses are converging well and our strategies are aligning.
    The guy in the shop estimated a 5 figure repair bill may result in the use of the socks but that was just his (expert) opinion and could be totally wrong still.
    If the socks can work they are the preferred solution because they take up less space and are light (people pay huge sums of money for Carbon parts to save some weight so it seems a crime to add unnecessary kgs to the car) and they should not be able to damage the rims (I have rare diamond polished options that cause the dealers to always ask me whether I am considering selling due to them) so I'm still striving to either find someone who can confirm they are safe or carefully try them at a test fitting.
    Cheers
    Mark

21. cenanesirtgen

cenanesirtgen Rookie

Aug 17, 2022
    Full Name:
    Cenan esirtgen
    Hi Mark,
    I feel rather silly not to have tought of it, but there must be a section in the manual about the use of snow chains, I will check mine tonight to see what it recommends.
    I really think that if it says it is ok to use some type of chains, then it must be ok for the socks as well.
    I seriously don’t see why it would be damaging to use socks if I can use chains. They both are traction devices and socks seem so much less damaging.
    Of course all sorts of traction aids must be turned off if you put the socks or chains on, I think ?!
    My service here told me it would be ok to use the K summit chains, and I showed it to them in the trunk of my car.
    It is frustrating that no one really can say something with certainty.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. Don Molina

Don Molina Rookie

May 18, 2015
    Probably a typo, but for reference performance winter tires in the sizes relevant for these cars are all V-rated, meaning up to 240kph (150mph)

150 kph is for really heavy off-road tires and the such

23. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Good point.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat