Scuderia Ferrari 2022 | Page 66 | FerrariChat

Scuderia Ferrari 2022

Discussion in 'F1' started by jpalmito, Sep 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Yes the lack of interest is interesting but Ferrari have the veto and the others know this. Let Ferrari generate the public interest and avoid joining in. It offers no gain when Ferrari have the item to use for impact/effect

jpalmito likes this.
  2. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Again speculating but Vasseur knows how to lead a team.
    Only downsides he is involved in many others formula right now.
    Leading the Scuderia requires a full commitment.
    We will see..

3. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/how-ferrari-quietly-sorted-its-core-f1-engine-reliability-problem/10405625/

How Ferrari quietly sorted its core F1 engine reliability problem
    Ferrari’s fluctuating form in the final races of the Formula 1 season – especially from struggles in Mexico to fighting Red Bull in Abu Dhabi – highlighted how critical engine performance was.

By: Franco Nugnes
    Co-author: Jonathan Noble
    Nov 28, 2022, 4:01 PM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

There were two factors at play here: the first that the setup of its power unit, and especially its turbo size, was not ideal for the high-altitude races in Mexico and Brazil.

But beyond that was the confirmation from Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto after the final race that the Maranello squad had had to wind back engine performance in the latter stages of the year because of reliability concerns.

Some spectacular and costly engine failures earlier in the campaign – including Charles Leclerc’s blow-ups in Spain and Baku, plus Carlos Sainz’s fiery exit in Austria – had prompted the need to turn things down a bit while a solution was put in place.

In a short reference, Binotto said: “We had to slightly lower the power. Yes, we had to do it.”

But it has since emerged that Ferrari was able to go aggressive again in Abu Dhabi with its 066/7 engine with the team believing it had found the solution to those earlier reliability problems.

According to sources, the weak element in the power unit had been singled out as the spark plug within the pre-chamber.

This was the latest evolution of the TJI (Turbulent Jet Ignition) combustion system that Mahle had made available to Ferrari in 2016, and which had allowed the team to close the power gap to Mercedes.

In the six years since, enormous strides were made in the development of a system that has been optimised for the latest generation of power units that were homologated to be frozen until the end of the 2025 season.

The TJI system includes the spark plug and the fuel injector. Both are housed in a well in the cylinder head, and both elements work together to help maximise power.

Only 2-3% of the fuel is injected into the pre-combustion chamber, the rest spreads over the piston surface. The mixture inside the “cap” is particularly rich, while the combustion agent in the chamber is leaner, with more air than fuel.

Enrico Gualtieri, Head of Power Unit Area, Ferrari, Carlos Sainz, Ferrari F1-75

Photo by: Ferrari

The ignition of the spark plug reacts with the very rich mixture in the pre-chamber, and causes the creation of plasma jets through open holes in the cap. Thanks to a very high pressure, the lean mixture is self-ignited in several points of the chamber with a flame spread that extends to the entire volume of the cylinder.

The system makes it possible to shorten combustion times, which delivers two advantages.

First the very lean mixture in the chamber means the harmful effects of detonations are reduced, meaning you can increase the compression ratio for more performance.

Plus, with teams still limited as to how much fuel can be used in a race (currently 110kg), for the same amount of fuel injected, greater thermal efficiency is obtained - which also equates to more power.

Ferrari pushed development to exploit the maximum pressure of the injection system, which reaches 500 bar as allowed by the regulations, and aimed for five discharges for each engine cycle.

But the extreme concept led to increased internal temperature, which caused the spark plug to suffer and eventually break.

The engineers, therefore, had to tweak their mapping to not push the spark plug over the limit, while an external supplier worked on delivering new materials to ensure that the component could cope with the needs of the engine in maximum power mode.

Ferrari’s performance in Abu Dhabi suggests that the spark plug problem seems to have been solved, which will be a big boost to Ferrari’s hopes for 2023 where it knows it cannot afford a repeat of its reliability woes.

crinoid, NeuroBeaker and 635CSI like this.
  4. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    That's a really interesting system. I hope it can be made reliable for next year.

Could this system be why Ferrari qualify well but didn't fare so well on race pace? Perhaps they were able to use maximum power in short bursts (e.g. a qualifying lap)?

All the best,
    Andrew.

crinoid likes this.
  5. DF1

Certainly good questions??? Appears they could run full power again in later races. They spent development time on this and resources to address. This shorted other development areas and with the limit they had to stop. It does sound like the PU is now fully capable if my reading of the article is correct!

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  6. DF1

https://f1i.com/news/462002-sainz-insists-ferrari-f1-75-did-not-develop-in-my-direction.html

Sainz insists Ferrari F1-75 'did not develop in my direction'
    ©Ferrari

Phillip van Osten 28/11/2022 at 17:48

Carlos Sainz has rubbished suggestions that his results with Ferrari improved last summer thanks to the development path followed by the Scuderia's F1-75.

Charles Leclerc won three of the first two races of 2022 and consistently outscored his teammate in the opening leg of the season.

But Sainz was able to ramp up his performance thereafter, the Spaniard securing his maiden Grand Prix win at Silverstone in the early summer.

Sainz's improvements coincided with Ferrari's development schedule, but the British Grand Prix winner dismissed any correlation between the two events.

"I've read this somewhere, where the car developed towards my style, and I think it's completely wrong," Sainz said after F1's season finale in Abu Dhabi.

"The car feels exactly the same as the beginning of the season. We're just less quick compared to the Red Bulls or the Mercedes.

"I just learned how to drive it, I changed my driving style, fine-tuned the set-up a bit more to my liking.

"But the car didn't develop in my direction or anything like that, so I hope this doesn't get pointed out there because it's completely fake and it's not the real story of the year.

"We simply got out-developed by Mercedes and Red Bull."

While Sainz's performance undoubtedly improved, the Scuderia charger was still outscored by Leclerc by 62 points in the final Drivers' standings.

Assessing the Monegasque's season, Sainz commended Leclerc for his runner-up spot in the championship, admitting that his teammate's strong form was also behind his efforts to change his driving style and improve his pace.

"I think he deserves to finish second this year," Sainz explained.

"He's been super strong all season with this generation of cars. He's been driving extremely well, and he made me have to adapt and change a bit my driving to try and be closer to him.

"But [congratulations to him] because he did a great season on his side on his driving, and he deserves to be in front of Checo [Sergio Perez]."

7. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    The budget cap doesn´t include engines, so it shouldn´t matter to other areas. Although the lack of power could have forced them to run the car with workaround setups.

Bas, NeuroBeaker and ingegnere like this.
  8. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Sainz doing Pirelli wet test today at Fiorano. Full wets.

Leclerc is tomorrow.

375+ likes this.
  9. 250boano

250boano Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2022
    Europe
    Full Name:
    DD
    Why test a tyre that never gets used...?

10. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    It's probably a new compound or tread design for 2023 due to the cars weight.

11. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    interesting to read this thread one year ago.......... ! All that optimism

12. DF1

13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Summary: When you have a faster car and are loafing around, tire degredation is minimal
    ..................When your car is slightly slower you have to run the crap out of it to keep up with the leaders, and this degrades the tires.

ingegnere and william like this.
  14. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Very nice gesture from Chuck after the Pirelli test today.

375+ and 635CSI like this.
  15. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  16. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

375+, Giallo 550 and jcurry like this.
  17. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    NEW 2023 Pirelli F1 Wet Tyres Testing - Carlos Sainz & Ferrari F1-75 - Fiorano Circuit, Dec 6, 2022

Charles Leclerc & Ferrari F1-75 - 2023 F1 Pirelli Wet Tyres Testing - Fiorano Circuit, Dec 7, 2022

18. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Chuck for president!

jpalmito and jcurry like this.
  19. DF1

More Honda not having left F1 and no protest nothing in terms of RedBull getting preferential treatment as a new PU maker -- Absurd...............

--Wednesday’s 2023 F1 entry list communicated by the FIA identified Red Bull Racing and Scuderia AlphaTauri’s engine partner as ‘Honda RBPT’ – Honda Red Bull Power Trains.

At the end of last year, Honda officially exited F1 as a works engine supplier for Red Bull’s teams.

However, unofficially, the company continued to work in the background in partnership with Red Bull Powertrains which took over Honda's F1 engine programme through an IP licensing deal with the Japanese manufacturer.--

https://f1i.com/news/462865-red-bull-badges-2023-power-unit-honda-rbpt.html

william likes this.