Porsche Carrera RS Book | FerrariChat

Porsche Carrera RS Book

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by markst270, Sep 19, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. markst270

markst270 Karting

Aug 5, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Cory
  2. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    It was originally published in a limited edition of 500 red copies. I got a copy, it's an ok book but nothing spectacular, a bit pricey for what it is. This supposedly limited edition sold out so quickly, that the publisher decided to do another limited edition of 500 copies, but now in green. They argued that copies were already selling on the secondary market at elevated prices, and they didn't like speculators. This gave me a bitter aftertaste. You either do a limited edition or you don't. So let's wait for a yellow, black, brown, red.....etc edition.

Lars T., Rosey, Buchpilot and 4 others like this.
  3. MHK69

MHK69 Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt K
    I feel the same, I bought the Red Edition and won't be buying the Green edition

Lars T. and bloomberg like this.
  4. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    I have the Reunion Edition of Konradheims's legendary Carrera RS book and the book on the 964 Carrera RS 3.8. I think that's all you need if you are an RS afficionado (of course, as always, that statement is open for challenge ;))

MHK69, Halfwit and bloomberg like this.
  5. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    That's so annoying.
    On a topic like that the publishers must have known that 500 books wouldn't satisfy demand.
    Just profiteering at its best.

Lars T., Lusso123 and bloomberg like this.
  6. MHK69

MHK69 Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt K
    Sven, add in the 993 GT2 by Christoph Mäder and Jan Koum and I'd say you have all you need

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    What the heck is a book on Stuttgart piggies doing here?!
    There is a section for those elsewhere in Fchat, thank you.

Llenroc and bloomberg like this.
  8. Lars T.

Lars T. Karting

Dec 3, 2022
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Lars T.
    As expected, a further (blue) edition of this „limited“ book has now been issued, another 210 copies…

bloomberg likes this.
  9. Seppefan

Seppefan Karting

Aug 24, 2021
    Before buying from Berlin Motor Books it is important to know that that limited means the opposite and that every book is regurgitated in different coloured covers or various " limited" editions with a signature. Then decide.

Nembo1777, Rosey, bloomberg and 2 others like this.
  10. Lars T.

Lars T. Karting

Dec 3, 2022
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Lars T.
    My experience too (I have all their books - but only in one edition each). I‘m upset about the RS book, as this had a very low limitation of originally just 500 copies and to me that justified the significantly higher price compared to their earlier titles. I complained about this to the author/publisher, but it seems that he doesn‘t see any problem, stating that many purchasers of the red edition also bought the green edition. To me personally the consequence is to buy no more books there, as I take limitations very seriously.

375+, Rosey, bloomberg and 3 others like this.
  11. Lars T.

Lars T. Karting

Dec 3, 2022
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Lars T.
    P.S.: with the earlier books, I was only mildly annoyed by all the new editions because the limitation was of such a high number (nearly 2,000 copies) that any „limitation“ was insignificant anyway and the books were not expensive either. Not so with the RS book though.

12. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I feel your pain.

Releasing the same book in different colours only waters down the books desirability and saying that the same collectors who bought the green book bought the red version is a bullsh#t excuse just to sell more books.

Announcing a book is limited to 500 copies is absolutely true but not mentioning there are another 3 or 4 versions of the same book coming is just deceptive retail trickery.

Publishers are so short sighted because all it does is annoy their loyal clients who will stop buying their books in the future.

Did someone say Giorgio Nada Editore ??!! :)

13. markst270

markst270 Karting

Aug 5, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Cory
    I have not got any of these books, even though I’m interested in the subject, as Expensive as it is, and technically not a limited run I’ll pass.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Seppefan, Buchpilot and Lars T. like this.
  14. DeRRis

DeRRis Karting

Nov 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Dennis B
    I just had a fire sale on Facebook. Sold all my BMB books cheap. I was just so fed up with it.

Rosey, Seppefan, Lusso123 and 3 others like this.
  15. Seppefan

Seppefan Karting

Aug 24, 2021
    Did the same six months or so ago on eBay.

Lars T. likes this.
  16. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Hope you at least sold them for what they owed you.

Seppefan likes this.
  17. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    This post just made me - after a short research - order the Konradsheim book (regular edition for me of course). Since I already got the GT2 book (a nice purchase btw) I hope it's not going to make me begin a Porsche books collection :eek:
    For the record, the only significant Porsche book I had before was this one (dating back from 1981; my copy is actually in better shape, this is a web picture since I'm not co-located with the book now):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

As a college student at the time, I had the ambition of someday buying a 911 (my friends and I called it "the project"); it never happened though...

Buchpilot and Lars T. like this.
  18. MHK69

MHK69 Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt K
    I feel like I stirred up the pot more than I intended on the Porsche facebook group, but really reading the response from the publisher after so many comments just left me bewildered.

Imagine buying a copy after it had sold out for substantially more knowing that it was limited, only to then find out a few weeks later that it had been reprinted, again in a limited edition. I personally think it's a low form of character to basically defraud your customers.

19633500GT, Lusso123, Rosey and 3 others like this.
  19. Lars T.

Lars T. Karting

Dec 3, 2022
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Lars T.
    Hi Matt,

No worries about that post of yours in the Porsche Literature Facebook group - it is important that the author gets feedback like this from his customers. That he basically chooses to disregard it and to see no problem whatsoever amazes me too. However, in the end the customer will have the last word by having the choice to purchase any future books from this publisher or not. For me personally, the RS book was my last one from BMB…

Ciao, Lars

MHK69, Lusso123, Rosey and 3 others like this.
  20. DeRRis

DeRRis Karting

Nov 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Dennis B
    No, I didn't. But that was intentionally. The author even had the audacity to email me in which he tried to buy some of the more “valuable” books. In the email he didn't utter a word about the sale and my discontent with the whole situation.

I sort of understand his reaction as he has been re-issuing books for a long time and there haven't been many complaints about that. But those where €100,- books and high numbered books. He doesn't get it and won't get it.

I'm just glad they are no longer defacing my modest collection.

19633500GT, Seppefan, Rosey and 3 others like this.
  21. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Sounds like this guy just can't see the wood for the tress.

He clearly knows the appeal of making his books in limited numbered runs from a sales point of view, just can't see the problem from a buyer/ collectors side.

I just hope others follow in your footsteps till he either wises up or ultimately sells a lot less books.

Lars T., Seppefan, Juli and 3 others like this.