550 Currently on BaT... Thoughts? | FerrariChat

550 Currently on BaT... Thoughts?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Cicio, Dec 6, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cicio

Cicio Karting

Apr 14, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Nathan Cicio
    Hello All,

I am just curious what the experts opinion on this car is? It has "high mileage" but nothing crazy, interior seems to still need some stickies taken care of as well as some leather work done. All in all it doesn't seem in horrible shape. Aftermarket shields I assume?

I'm learning these cars as quickly as I can but am considering bidding and would love to hear thoughts from people more in the know on this model.

I'm kinda crazy and thinking about swapping out my daily driver from a Alfa Quad to this baby :) I have looked at everything from 400s to 456, 550 and 575.. even 599.

If anyone wants to give me a value opinion feel free. There is a huge market thread over in the 355 subform but I haven't found one here.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2000-ferrari-550-maranello-28/

2. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I'd daily drive a Maranello year around if the weather permitted.

I believe @chris1866 is in your next of the woods and can opine on owning a 599 and 550 down there.

chris1866 likes this.
  3. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #3 Ferrari55whoa, Dec 6, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
    This is the thread I’ve maintained.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/market-prices-575-manual-vs-575-f1-conversion-costs-vs-550.629834/

I’ve been lazy and owe breakdowns on 2 or 3 sales…..just need to invest the time on my end..I really hope to do the last few prior to the high mile R/C you mentioned ending.

I own an evolved 550. I considered a 575 and the 575’s evolution would probably lend to it being a stronger daily driver.

2 years ago that BaT car might be a tough sell off the BaT platform at $80k given the miles and cosmetics?

It’s red…..

BaT can be really weird….it’s anyones guess if the car draws a lot of attention or not and makes a strong run. You have to determine how badly you want the manual experience or if your Maranello can be an F1 575 then you get a lot more value for money.

That BaT car is effectively “no option” so I personally would put the value at the bottom of the spectrum of 550 values.

I also personally will never again spend even $25k without doing a PPI.l (I had the “red mist” on a racecar I bought without PPI and the tuition I paid from that experience was a $14k engine rebuild).

I did a $500 PPI on my 550 and it was all real basic/easy stuff and I spent $20k (I was happy to spend the $20k since I was educated on what I was getting myself into). Knowing in advance is valuable to me personally.

Just some food for thought….

ralfabco and Mirek like this.
  4. Cicio

Cicio Karting

Apr 14, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Nathan Cicio

This is great info thank you!

I have been batting around the 550 vs 575 F1 idea and it's a hard decision to make. The 575 you get "more for your money" but does the lack of the manual trans take away the thing that keeps you excited to get in the car every day. Some say it does, some say it doesn't.

I have never driven either.

If you don't mind me asking (I'm sure I can just google this) what were the optional items on the 550?

5. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Terry is great at these questions. @tazandjan

The early 550’s had light options.

By 2000/2001 you could get…
    Leather shelf (even quilted)
    Same for ceiling
    Daytona style seats
    FHP
    Carbon interior
    Can’t remember if the 550 had the 575 carbon race seat option?
    Modular wheels
    I’m sure I’m forgetting more.

Many people don’t like shields?
    Many don’t like the carbon interior.

That BaT car has applied aftermarket NOT factory embossed shields.

I personally set a very tight box on my search and wanted all the options which made the hunt harder and for me more fun.

I also didn’t want R/C or Grigio Titanio as those are the 2 most common (but also widely loved).

6. Cicio

Cicio Karting

Apr 14, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Nathan Cicio

Awesome info! I don't like the thought of common, but I have to say that Grigio Titanio is one of my all time favorite Ferrari colors.

I'm looking at this car also https://www.sanfranciscosportscars.com/used-vehicle-2000-ferrari-550-maranello-c-1342/

7. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
  8. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This is true. Happy to share some thoughts if you'd like. Shoot me a message

9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Here's the article I wrote comparing my 550 and 575. Both manual, so I can't comment on the F1 question, which is subjective. Also depends on where you live..I wouldn't have a manual here in London. Which is why I only have manual Ferraris.

https://www.lux-mag.com/best-modern-classic-ferrari/

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  10. Cicio

Cicio Karting

Apr 14, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Nathan Cicio
    Oh this is gonna be a fun read tonight!!! Thank you.

11. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    'Common' is relative. Not like you will ever walk up to the wrong one at Wal-mart

12. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi Nathan, the first question I'd ask is, what do want the car for and how are you going to use it, if at all? Do you want to daily drive it, take it out it on a nice Sunday afternoon or take it to cars 'n coffee, or do you want a pristine low mileage example to stash away as an "investment" and never drive it? Also, is there a certain color combo and/or set of options you must have, otherwise you won't really be happy with your purchase? Or do you not really care and just want a decent example you can enjoy? I'd answer these questions first, as these cars are too expensive to settle for something you may be disappointed with later.

The other thing to realize is, Maranellos aren't Toyota Camrys. And they're no longer "new." As great and robust as they are, they're still Italian, now 20+ year-old Italian cars. Put bluntly, old(er) expensive Italian cars will tend to have expensive problems. It goes with the territory.

As @Ferrari55whoa whoa says, do a PPI on any car you're seriously interested in. I'd be leery of buying a car of this caliber, age and price range sight un-seen. Many, if not most, of them are going to have age-related problems that only get worse with time if they are not properly addressed. A Maranello is not a cheap car to buy or own, so a PPI, while not a panacea, is warranted up front to at least give you a good idea of its overall condition and what might be wrong. It will be the best $500-600 you will spend, even as a result you don't end up buying a particular car - the whole point of doing a PPI. Easier said that done, though; depending on where the car is, it may be tough to find a good shop that's qualified to do a PPI on a Ferrari, or a Maranello specifically.

The 550 currently on BaT looks like a pretty decent example with moderately high miles (in the U.S. Ferrari World, >30k is considered "high"), which should be no real problem if the car has been properly maintained. Problem is, not all Ferraris are, particularly if a car has has had multiple owners, some of whom may be less than diligent about maintaining the car. This one appears to have had only two owners, which is good, but there aren't a lot of maintenance records shown in the listing. Absent better documentation, that makes a PPI even more important.

My advice, fwiw (which ain't much) is to be patient, look at multiple cars, go see them in the flesh (or metal) and get an idea of the widely varying conditions you'll find. With my own 550, I looked at 7 different cars, and was really surprised at the delta in the condition of different cars, even fairly low-mile cars that were pretty rough, both cosmetically and had some mechanical issues, given their lower ostensible mileage would imply. You'd be surprised! These are fairly rare cars - again, not Camrys! - and each individual car stand on its own merits.

Buyer beware, good luck, and please keep us posted!

Mirek and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  13. Cicio

Cicio Karting

Apr 14, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Nathan Cicio

This is a great and helpful post thank you.

Not that you are probably actually looking for answers but more asking questions to provoke thought. As for the use of the car I am for sure looking for a driver. Daily or several days a week will be the use of this car.

I can relate to looking at several "classic" Ferraris before purchasing and seeing the difference in condition. I have purchased a few 355s in the recent years and while I have been very "lucky" with having good conversation with the sellers I have yet to do a PPI on one. As you said I find it pretty hard to find a shop that I trust enough to tell me something that would actually change my mind on purchasing a car. I am extremely mechanical with the resources to fix literally anything. So I usually go the route of asking pointed questions, trying to speak with the mechanic who has maintained the car and then taking my chances.

Possibly that isn't the best idea but I take risks and accept the consequences.

The car that is on BaT I think is a decent example. I like that it has had miles put on it vs been a garage queen. I would rather have a 50k mile car than a 10k mile car personally when it comes to these cars. Of course that is if I'm gonna drive it. I do feel however that that car will need to be purchased at a "deal" given the interior condition, major scuff on the front bumper, and then of course the miles. What the deal is in today's climate is really the question in my mind.

Ferrari55whoa and NE550 like this.
  14. Peter Horsman

Peter Horsman Rookie

Nov 1, 2019
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi Ciceo, in my opinion, the only realistic 550 options are the quilted bits and modular wheels. Well, maybe Daytona seats but not to everyone's taste. FHP is generally not thought to be worthwhile on a 550, perhaps more desirable on a 575, and I've never seen a carbon interior so not sure how that would look. The BAT looks like a nice car once the leather work is sorted. Personally, I don't like the red paintwork on the car or the shields but you're the potential buyer, not me! Miles (with a good service history) isn't a problem and might enable a sensible price. For a car which is 22 years old, is 50,000 a high-mileage car, or one which has been sensibly used? In the UK, we'd be looking at £75k I think. Maybe a tad more.

Happy hunting!!

15. Cicio

Cicio Karting

Apr 14, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Nathan Cicio

Good info! I wish we could buy the same level car in the states as you guys can for the money.

My gut on this car is that it’s gonna do 115k … if it does more than that then we’ll sold, less then well bought. This is based on a limited amount of research so I could be all wet.

16. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #16 Ferrari55whoa, Dec 8, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
    Simsimma (BaT handle) and his handle here is something like Euro550? He had/has two 550’s that went from Japan to Canada to the US.

as I recall both looked nice and both were light optioned and “higher” mile cars.

I’d have to check the results again on his RNM BaT auctions but those surely were close to the current market peak as “comps”?

Only my opinion…..if the current R/C 550 was cosmetically equivalent (which it is not) then those 2 euros would drive my personal opinion on value.

I also find it weird we are down to 3 days left and the seller hasn’t checked in or answered the posed questions on the auction…..

NE550 likes this.
  17. Cicio

Cicio Karting

Apr 14, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Nathan Cicio

I believe that is the one that was on BAT and didn't sell. It did in the 130 range? Then he listed it here for 150k firm until he took it off the market. I think that is the one you are referring to. That car IMO is much nicer than the on on BAT.

Actually... as I'm typing this let me just find it quick...

This one

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/1997-ferrari-550-maranello-with-recent-major-service.660835/

18. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You can see both of his imported 550’s by searching by username simsimma on bat.
    Both nice cars just not US cars and not federalized and higher miles.

19. Cicio

Cicio Karting

Apr 14, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Nathan Cicio
    I traded a couple messages, he said he sold the first car for over 150k and this one is nicer, so he is rock solid set on 150k for the car.

Very cool color combination, but I just feel like 150k for that kinda miles is a bit aggressive.

20. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Lid for every pot
    Butt for every seat
    ;-)

some guys want instant satisfaction which BaT is good for.

My perversion is “the hunt”. I loosely started looking in 2010 and then got hardcore in 2019 and was prepared to patiently hunt for as long as the hunt took (even if that hunt took 5+ years) to get a very tight box around what I wanted.

My deal with my wife on when I bought and then built my ‘69 Meyers Manx Baja racer was it had to be similar to my grandpas from when I was growing up.
    Tagged
    Yuma yellow
    And that box is tiny (Bruce Meyers only made a handful of Yuma yellow tubs in 1969).

It was a multi year search and the result was neat that I found one 5 serial digits different from my Grandpas (which I new ended up in a small village south of Paris France).

I hope you get the pleasure you are looking for….if it’s us helping with a quick search or a long delayed adventure!

Attached Files:

NE550 and Mirek like this.
  21. Cicio

Cicio Karting

Apr 14, 2021
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Nathan Cicio

Awesome story! I am bad at the hunt. I envy your patience! I am more of a buy it and drive it even if it's not exactly what I want because we are not promised tomorrow.

But that does get me in trouble sometimes... probably how I ended up with 4 355s at one time LOL

22. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That’s a delightful place to be!

My “marital understanding” is that the collection is currently at a “one in one out” status level since so much of it is “under loved”…..

That current BaT seller is bananas for not checking in by now…..

23. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @root why wouldn’t that seller address the steering wheel.

Is the seller on here?

This offering is so lazy, can’t believe he didn’t really prepare the car for sale and can’t be bothered to tell how many keys, which fobs and the date of tires.

this one is a joke so far? The lack of seller engagement is Bizzare.

24. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Its tempting but, expect to poor money into it.
    The interior is no big deal but the cost and finding someone to do it. I couldnt look at that wheel it would kill me.
    Paint I dont care, they are pretty bullet proof but you need service records.
    Pumps and clutch are no big deal but it could add up.
    You could look at 20/30 grand to get it up to snuff as a driver.
    But mint low mile cars are just a bit more....
    It is tempting as a beater if thats possible.
    gtjoey1314
    But then again my 575 has little more modern upgrades, its a toss up

25. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    $30k would be easy here in the Bay Area. The cosmetics alone (interior and exterior) lend this to continue to be a beater. Why spend so much on a non-investment grade no-option car….just have to love her as is and drive it?

Will be interested to see where it lands….for me this is a textbook example of a car and seller that should have transacted privately (so a PPI could be done).