Under the Lights at Daytona | FerrariChat

Under the Lights at Daytona

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by wthensler, Oct 28, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Just arrived for the weekend, blue and red run groups are out under the lights, but we got a decent rain just before dusk.

I’m ready for two action packed days tomorrow and Sunday.

Only bummer is I’m running Kumhos as I couldn’t get Cup2s for the 458 in time. It would be a blast to open it on the long sweeping banks. We’ll see how the grip and weather are……

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    1st time at Daytona?

3. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    #3 wthensler, Oct 28, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
    Yes……I ran Pocono in June, and Homestead in February, so I’ve been on ovals before, but Daytona is a bit larger.

Thirty second and thirty third track days of 2022 in the 458, might be an Fchat record!

I have one more event at Road Atlanta in late November, then taking a well-deserved break.

4. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I’ve done Daytona a few times back when I tracked a lot. Some think it’s an easy track and get bored…it’s easy but there are places that you definitely need to be aware of.
    Has anyone talked about tire pressure’s with you? Run them higher than you normally do and the right side needs a few more psi due to the high banks.

5. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    wow that is awesome. congradulations on 32+ dates. that's insane. i'm going off to my 5th day saturday....

wthensler likes this.
  6. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    and how are the CCBs holding up? or did you switch to steel?

7. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    After I toasted the original ceramic rotors, due to heavy-duty use and running out of pad at The Glen, I switched to steel (iron) Girodiscs and though heavier than ceramic. It's a good setup for the amount of tracking I've been doing, even with the additional weight penalty.

I heard Corvette C7 ceramics work in the front, but in no hurry to swap. I see almost exclusively steel rotors on tracks anyway.

Today I'm having new pads installed, lines bled, and new tires for Road Atlanta (and then Sebring).

Lack of availability of Cup 2s's is forcing me back to road tires (trying Falkens this time around 'cause I could get them faster). The Kumho Exstas come highly recommended for anyone that is considering a good multi-purpose tire.

In December the car will go in to troubleshoot an occasional lean right bank fuel code on WOT. Overall it's been bullet proof and has really impressed me with its driving dynamics - a rock star!

8. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    awesome thanks for the review

wthensler likes this.
  9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
  10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    We could hit about 182MPH on the front straight before braking hard for turn 1 in the 488 Evo's . Do you recall what you were hitting in the 458?

11. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Yes. I got close to 170mph before hard brake. That’s pretty much wringing out the 458 sustained, and 10/10 braking coming into the infield, I did it just once as was running street tires and didn’t want to press my luck any further.

I presume you had to deal with the bus stop on the oval.

Last weekend - mid 150s on Ullmann straight at Sebring. Again it’s how late you’re willing to brake coming into Turn 17, and how well you do coming out of Bishop’s and T16.

FWIW, the 458’s brakes aren’t as good as your Evo.

Attached Files:

Texas Forever and Gh21631 like this.
  12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    170 is moving pretty well for a car that makes a lot less power but probably more slippery or less downforce. Our cars cap I think because all of the aero, at least that's what it feels like. Yes, the brakes on the race cars are incredible, makes a huge difference. Sebring is a blast, I have been there a few times and still not 100% comfortable on the back of the track for some reason. There's a section I need to run flat but cant get myself to do so. I am decent in other areas though.

wthensler likes this.
  13. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    #13 wthensler, Dec 15, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2022
    The 458 actually has good top end, it just takes a while to get there. The big muscle cars that pass me coming out of corners, I can eventually hunt them down.

FWIW, that was my 5th Sebring trip this year, 8 track days total there. Only now am I feeling somewhat comfortable about the line, braking zones, etc., and can I put the entire loop together in my head. But, I’m a relative novice, and I had to learn a bunch of other stuff simultaneously. It’s been rewarding!

The bumpiness throughout is unsettling to say the least. Turns 1 and 17, and coming into and out of Bishops, the car feels a bit loose.

Kudos for tracking your Ferrari, I rarely see them on track anywhere. The 488 Evo is certainly a handful!

Texas Forever and Gh21631 like this.
  14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I just picked up a 430 Challenge as well for track days. The 488 requires a team of people so it doesn't work well for just fun track days. I can't get into tracking my street cars anymore, I'm too aggressive and will destroy them.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

JAM1, mdrums, wthensler and 1 other person like this.
  15. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Great decision, a street car on track will always be a street car.

I’ve seen many 488s EVOs on track. Always with a team. That’s too much for me, who just wants to have fun, albeit at a good clip.

430 Challenge is an excellent choice! I may follow the same path as you.

Gh21631 likes this.
  16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Good ones are hard to find, this one is from an fchatter. It needed some work but overall in decent shape. I am having a Gruppe M intake and custom exhaust fitted as well as new brakes and numerous cosmetic issues. I am looking forward to getting it out.

mdrums and wthensler like this.
  17. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Nice find! I’ve seen that car if it was up at Watkins Glen earlier this year (and met the Fchatter).

Have Blackstone do an oil analysis to check the health of the motor.

Gh21631 likes this.
  18. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Something I should know?

19. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    No, sorry I didn't mean to frighten you. I don't know anything about the car, other than it looked and ran great when I saw it! I couldn't run with it!

I'm sure an Fchatter is probably taking great care of it.

It's always a good idea to get your oil analyzed - it'll tell you a lot about the motor. I have mine checked, and it is consistent (so far), for $40 it's worth it.

The 430 Challenge is a lot of car on track, beauty by the way![/QUOTE]

Gh21631 likes this.
  20. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I agree, I believe it was well taken care of although it still needed some love.

wthensler likes this.
  21. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    #21 gatorgreg, Dec 24, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2022
    From a safety aspect race cars have all the equipment to survive big impacts. It's a smart move to buy a race car for these events.
    I would make sure everything inside and out of the race car is up to date. Helmet, gloves, suit, Seats, belts, fire suppression and nets.

Daytona can get dangerous very quickly at 170 mph. This is a big boy track. It's not a place for street cars for extended periods.

The right rear side wall on any car is under heavy load at Daytona. Typically, the side wall of a production tire is not designed for this type of side wall loading at high speed. Pirelli is very aware of this issue.

Anyone driving a streetcar at Daytona needs to keep an eye on the inside of the right rear for excessive wear after every session. Be mindful of the tire temperatures and pressures.

Fun video during the 24-hour historic races.
    VBOX0019, Lap 4 - YouTube

pdxjim488, wthensler and mdrums like this.
  22. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I echo GatorGreg. I have driven many lap at Daytona but in a street car. Porsche 911's. However I did not run every session or the full 30min per session. We had guys running street cars on Hoosier R7's and coming out of NASCAR T4 the tire sidewall at the tire bead would come apart and thread itself thus destroying the entire side of the car rear fender and even sending a few cars spinning or into the wall.

You need to inspect the tires for tread wear after every session and run your right side tires a few psi higher. For Daytona I was running Michelin Pilot Spot Cups then Nitto NT01's but running the left side at street recommended pressure and the right side 2psi higher and watching psi and tread wear. Car set up at Daytona really needs a very particular alignment.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

JAM1, gatorgreg and wthensler like this.
  23. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Well intended sound advice. 170 is ******* fast, and Daytona is a lot faster than Pocono or Homestead.

I was thinking (but trying not to obsess) about the tires, and checked them carefully after each session. I was out there a long time (30 minute sessions) but didn’t push that hard on the oval each time.

Bucket list item, fun while it lasted, but little desire to repeat in a street car. There are more ‘fun’ tracks with much less risk.

I did follow the advice of @mdrums on tire pressures and ran a psi higher on the right side of the car.

mdrums likes this.
  24. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    It's tire pressure, but more importantly camber angle. Pirelli put a memo out. I will try to find it and post it.

25. USMCS6

USMCS6 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2018
    Arlington VA and Daytona Fl
    Full Name:
    Elliot
    Anyone going out at Daytona after the Rolex with FCA? I did it last year in the 458 and it was great, Just got new Sport cup 4S's on. I ended up doing about 15-20 min sessions.

Jgledhill likes this.