new car sales tax? | FerrariChat

new car sales tax?

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by Edward 96GTS, Dec 15, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    may buy my daughter a new car in AZ since that is where she goes to school. what is the sales tax rate in Phoenix area?

2. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005

Arizona has a state sales tax rate of 5.6 percent, but county and city governments can stack additional taxes.

7.95 percent sales tax in Scottsdale, 8.0 percent in Phoenix, 8.1 percent as I recall.

If you locate a used car from private owner anywhere in US, it can be significantly less to virtually no tax, if registered in AZ.

Edward 96GTS likes this.
  3. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    is registration significantly less than Cali?

4. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    For a new vehicle in AZ $2.80 per $100 of assessed value.

Don’t know how compares to CA.

5. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I believe that Cali is a tad less expensive for registration. Edward should buy the car here and register it in his name but should see that his daughter has the insurance in her name only. Yes? No?

6. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Peter,

Agree. What I heard (3rd hand) in the past, CA is a tad less than AZ for registration. Who knows how that plays out in future.

Just depends town / county registered is my assumption. Also think if new car, it doesn’t need to get inspected in the state of registration for two years.

For insurance best to check with insurance company as that may vary too. May even decide to register under a LLC. That may be another option - to weight all pros and cons.

PeterS likes this.
  7. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Ya, the AZ car tax and reg is higher but overall, AZ is a tough state to beat on other items that Cali has their hands in your pockets on. Any more would be P&R so I'll keep my typing fingers bound and gagged for now :)

technom3 and luvair like this.
  8. otoupalik

otoupalik Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Brad Otoupalik
    Our registration is MUCH less in AZ than it was in SoCal, FYI. But this does vary based on value as perceived by the state. I know for my older cars, it is dirt cheap where CA was still expensive.

Also, FYI, there is no tax on used car person to person transactions. And no need to do a notary any longer. So the BEST bet is to buy private party used (even if nearly new).

Our insurance is the same here as it was in SoCal (USAA). FYI

enio45 and Edward 96GTS like this.
  9. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I'm picking up a mint XKR next week and was a bit surprised the insurance premium is higher than on my 360!