What's it mean when this comes out your exhaust? | FerrariChat

What's it mean when this comes out your exhaust?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ksullender, Mar 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    What does it mean when this comes out of a Tubi exhaust? Someone told me less exhaust restriction and more horsepower. Ha Ha. Seriously, anything to worry about or just cat material blowing out?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    It's only a functional problem for the exhaust system if the bits form a blockage somewhere between where they should be and the tailpipe. A side concern might be what caused it to break up -- although cats generally eventually self-destruct on their own ;), you might have a cat overheating situation caused by an overrich running condition.

3. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    This looks like a piece of the innards of a catalytic converter. I had this happen on a car once (I ran it so darn hard part of the innards of the CC melted).

In my experience, what will happen is those pieces will begin to break, then airflow will not pass through the small parts of it that have broken material blocking, it will start to melt, then most of the innards will deteriorate quickly. This all resulted in a bunch of rock-like pieces rattling around inside the CC housing. That sounded awful, especially when turning the car on or off & they rattled. I simply took off the CC, dumped out the rocks, then used a long screwdriver to knock out any remaining innards stuck to the edges. Then replaced the empty CC on the car. Sounded a bit louder & tougher. I'm guessing that eliminated some small amount of back pressure, but the car ran fine while I had it. It probably woudn't pass an emissions check though.

4. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Looks like your Ferrari shouldnt had all that mexican food for dinner.

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Since you just bought your car, I hope you've been through your emissions testing already. If so, just keep driving!! You'll have a year of cooler temps, better sound, and less government regulation.

If on the other hand you're still due for an inspection...um, how to put this gently... find an inspection station with a "working" knowledge of these cars.

-Daniel

6. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven

ROFL! Thats is alomst EXACTLY what i was thining

lauighing too hard...
    starting to cry

must not look anymore

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven "ROFLMAO" Rochlin

7. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    not to break the mood but i am ( almost) positive the stuff in a cat that comes out solid IS VERY VERY TOXIC!!! if i am wrong goody goody, just dont want anyone getting sick playing with "THE POO!"
    edit .... stop laughing now...... A CONVERTER...... NOT A "FELINE"..... no " mr hanky/ South Park jokes either.... ( LOL)

8. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Yes, that's cat guts. Recommend you replace the catalysts now. If not, as stated, material will lodge in the cat and muffler, possibly causing a restriction. Best case is failing emission test and louder exhaust tone. Worst case is exhaust system restrictions, negating the Tubi sound of power and/or catalyst overheat, certainly possible.

I recommend retaining emissions system functionality. Do both at the same time.

Unfortunate symptom of age for this car. As new materials became available, Ferrari changed the catalyst matrix to a much more robust material that cannot easily be broken down. The change occurred around 1996.

Best regards,

Rob Schermerhorn

9. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    Steve, the car smells a little rich. I didn't know if that was due to the Tubi. Are you saying that can cause a cat to over heat? I have had some sparatic 1/4 lights on the right, which is the same cat this turd came out of.

10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    A) yes its the guts from one Cat
    B) its not all that toxic, but its not that good for you either. The ceramic matrix is inert, the rhodium metals are like lead in toxicity, the platinum is inert.
    C) the Cat could have been shaken to the point (engine vibrations) that the outer material colapsed, then started to rattle around until it became small enough to pass through the exhaust pipes.

11. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Ken -- Once you get a piece missing out of the cat matrix it's basically like having no cat at all since most of the exhaust gas will pass thru the breach (rather than being forced thru the very small openings of the remaining cat matrix, if any) so even a well-running engine with the cat(s) in this condition might smell a little rich. (Changing to the Tubi silencer isn't a factor IMO.)

If the car is running well, it's more likely along the lines of what Rob and Mitch said -- it's just vibrated/baked itself to death from normal use ;).

If you can measure the voltage on the output wire from the O2 sensor in the cat/bank with the problem when idling warm, it might give you a first clue -- it should be banging around from 0 to 1 volt if it really thinks it's running closed-loop. If it's pegged at 1 volt or above, then I'd dig deeper.

12. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    That is indeed part of your honeycomb from the cat. Get it replaced immediately. A borken up/melted honeycomb ends up block the exhaust escape and creates serious backpressure.

13. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Take out the cats and replace them with test pipes. Better sound, less back pressure. Emission testing may be a problem though...

14. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    melt it down to a platnium ring :)