Morgan +4 | FerrariChat

Morgan +4

Discussion in 'British' started by boxerman, Jan 8, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Thoughts on the.new +4.
    Much as I love classic Morgan’s this new one seems to get the blend of modern ability and classic style/charisma fairly spot on.

pearsonhaus likes this.
  2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    I see little point in having a Morgan with modern bits and pieces. The attraction of a Morgan is (or was) that it is effectively a newly built vintage sports car., with all the character that implies. Up until the early +8, it still was exactly that, but they gradually modernised it (starting with the abandonment of the Moss gearbox) to the point where today's Morgan bears about as much resemblance to the real thing as an Excalibur does to a Mercedes SSK. Just my opinion.

3. Can you get the new one in US?

4. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    Supposed to be available in 2023. I guess we'll see.

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Or one might say its like a modern harley sportster as opposed to a 50s one.
    Have to try it and see.

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Cool cars, but an LCD in the dash? I’d buy a Morgan for classic gauges and trim. Still a rare car — I haven’t seen one on the road in years.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Bluebottle likes this.
  7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yeah I hear you, but a lot of the rest looks classic, and it has modern safety with reasonable yet classic handling.
    The turbo 4 cyls bothers me more, a car like this should have an evocative NA motor, but with rare disappearing exceptions no one makes that type of motor anymore, seems like every off the rack small motor is boosted. The one Morgan i spent time in many eyars ago was powered by a ford 1600 cvh i think, it was a lot of fun but the motor was nothing to write home about. if the new one has the same feel and fun, seems like a consideration.

Honestly im trying to think of a new modern car I really want to own, keep and drive, theyre all just another version of the same overpowered homogenized blob to me. Sometimes you want to look in the garage see your car and smile, to feel motivated just go for a drive for the drives sake, and yet because its 2023 not be tortured in traffic or on the drive home. Maybe not an everyday car, but one for 2-3 days per week, smooth comfortable enough yet evocative and fun. Who makes that.

Bluebottle likes this.
  8. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Agree 100 percent- there are few modern cars that really intrigue me, and the Morgan is in that tiny group. The view down the hood - er, bonnet, is unique and evocative. And people around you don’t automatically go into badass mode like they do in response to modern blobs with wings.

Plus you get to worry about termites instead of rust.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    yeah they’re still using ash wood in the bodywork. Hopefully pressure treated.
    Sounds like $100k though.

all articles I read indicate the +4 is the pick because there is a balance of forces and it’s stick. The +6 seems more overpowered sledgehammer.

course I always liked an Excalibur series 3 too although less so after having driven one. The disappointment there was all the crappy gm bits in the cockpit. When I see the effort some put into resto mods I wonder how cool a rod one could make with an excalibur. You know the 454 and th350 tranny can manage more tha220 hp, and the c3 underpinnings can be sorted well. Coool gangster style car, although people today have disdain for them. Brooks Stephen’s neoclassic.

wjat do I know, love real studabaker avanti’s also.