360 going to be like a 996 | Page 7 | FerrariChat

360 going to be like a 996

Discussion in '360/430' started by bart12, Feb 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I’m stuck in the year 2000! I just sold my 1999 e36 to fund the 996.

I love this era.

I’ll post up a nice comparo.

cavlino likes this.
  2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The 996 finally found its fan base. The headlights no longer bother people and the IMS has many well know solutions. I have my 996 GT3 for over 10 years now. As for the 360, well... just bought one.

3. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    The headlights never bothered me. In fact I’m
    Not a big 911 fanboy… so the hl and associated bargain are a plus!

Now that I’m a p car guy I’m scouring rennlist… and boy do these people have a warped perception of Fcar ownership.

picking up my 2002 black / grey int 996 tt mt w 15k miles in next week or two. It’s all stock no tunes no bs.

LightGuy and cavlino like this.
  4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    They even have a warped perception of Porsche ownership. Some buy into a used Porsche thinking that it is cheap to own, it's not. Some buy into a Porsche 986/996/997 thinking it has few problems, not true.

I own a 996 GT3 with low miles and zero problems because of its Medzer engine and I don't drive it much. My wife drives a 997 Carrera S with 120k miles and I found bore scoring on it now. I will find some time to fix it this year but that will cost $12-15K even with my free labor.

I do have to give the Rennlist crowd some credit. There does not seem to be any problem on 996/997 that somebody has not experienced or not found a solution for. The same cannot be said for Audi and BMW forums (fora?). There never seems to be any help on those forums. I will say that Raby-worship runs pretty rampant on RL.

cavlino likes this.
  5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Bore scoring gas been a Porsche issue for a long time now. Even the Cayenne v8s do it, and now the Maccan with its piston slap issue and bore scoring.

one4torque and cavlino like this.
  6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You are right, it's not unique among Porsche. It's just those boys complain the loudest.

cavlino and tbakowsky like this.
  7. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Back in 2001 I traded my 1996 993 C4S for a 1989 Ferrari 328 GTS.

My fun factor went to the Moon and my service and maint costs were much-much less.

I managed to educate some of the Porsche folks and they switched to Ferraris also.

I like Porsches up to about model year 2008 but I LOVE all Ferrari models.

Aku likes this.
  8. 8208

8208 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Warren
    I just traded a 992 gt3 for a 2004 360 Modena and couldn't be happier. I love the 360, it is beautiful and has a much higher fun factor than the gt3

hessank, cavlino, Aku and 1 other person like this.
  9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The gt3 is quite the car..so much more car then the 360..but of course the 360 is more of a "car" where as the 992 is more of a video game. But damn that Gt3 is something else to experience.. quite the machine..

KC360 FL and cavlino like this.
  10. WashingtonFerrari61

WashingtonFerrari61 Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2022
    Northern, VA
    Interesting point of view… The 360 design wise in its time blew people away. If anything was lazy it was the 430… It’s essentially the same car with a few more bumps and curves. The design difference between 355 and 360 is massive. I personally would not take a 355 over a 360. The 430 does not blow people away against the 360 like the 458 does to both the 360/430.

KC360 FL likes this.
  11. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

I’m a huge Porsche fanboy, I’ll admit it. But I’m not a huge 996 Carrera fan (I’ve owned three). The mezgers on the other hand (gt3 and turbo) are amazing. I own a 996 gt3 and it’s my third one, and I will never sell it. When I was shopping for my first exotic, I drove many cars and one of my favorites was a manual 360. but since I already had a Gt3, I felt like the 360 was too similar in terms of power, speed, an outright acceleration. So I bought a gated Gallardo, which probided a sufficiently different driving experience, and now the Scud, which is also very different. I value variety so I want all my cars to feel differently. . If one can swing it the a 360/430 of any variant, combined with a 996 mezger of any variant, is a pretty sweet combo that ticks a lot of boxes. One is exotic, sounds insane, turns heads, etc, The other is virtually indestructible, more under the radar, and easier to live with day in and day out but still provide plenty of thrills.

AHudson, cavlino and one4torque like this.
  12. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Cool Scott’s.

I think you all can agree the 360 and 996 design variants were or are equally polarizing.

I’m excited to have two in the stable.

I’m excited to taste feel hear that boosted flat 6!

Plus the entry into fca and now pca driving meet ups.

cavlino likes this.
  13. Carlo360

Carlo360 Rookie

Dec 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Ciao
    Scott nice to see you here too and in this thread.
    Love my 996 GT3 because it’s old enough to have the best of that early porsche feeling but not so new as to be too modern. And I finally just shipped the gated 360 home and am looking to driving it too. Two different experiences, 360 is a loud wonderful weekend party while the 6/GT3 is a good satisfying day at work. But to get to work every day I drive the 500E - smooth, solid and drama free until you step on it.

14. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I'm going to be buried in my 996 GT3.

15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    No going that far, but ... maybe it will pay for 2 yeears of my daughter's medical school.

16. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Reporting back after 1 yr of 996 tt ownership next to my 360.

the 996 is a blast to drive particularly in good da cold air.

I have mods lined up in the shop-
    4.5” intercoolers europipe exhaust w 100 cell cats and a nice tune on the stock turbo’s. Hoping for 500 hp. This platform is easy to mod.

I like the 996 so much I got my wife a 991.1 turbo…. She was reluctant to trade in her m2…. But one launch control start in the 991 and she never looked back. The 991tt is a beast. And very tunable.

I’m still enjoying the 360… although driving it less now that we live in Houston.

Other than being mfr in the same era.. these are very different cars.

if you want something you can easily tune to 700hp get the turbo.

If you want sexy f1 sounds get the Italian.

its funny to read the perception in pcar chat that a 360 requires 14k / yr op cost.

17. redwedge

redwedge Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve C
    Pricing reflects not only desirability but also supply. Ferrari made 50% more non-CS 360s than they did 355s. Personally, I prefer (and own) the 355, but it's not like I find the 360 undesirable - quite the opposite. My main issue with a Modena is the existence of the CS. I like the Modena but I love the CS, and couldn't part with cash for a Modena knowing that there's another version I want more.

Texas Forever, 066/8 and cavlino like this.
  18. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The 360 market seems pretty strong, up here anyways. 360 f1 spiders are still changing hands over 115k for average condition cars.

19. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    This! Which is making it very hard for me to find one but you know that already @tbakowsky

tbakowsky likes this.
  20. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Of course they never talk about $2,000 to change 6 spark plugs on a TT, or $2,000 to change a couple of oil lines that needed an engine out, or a $25,000 PDK replacement when a distance sensor is bad in a 991TT.

Yes it is funny to see that their **** don't stink.

Texas Forever and cavlino like this.
  21. 066/8

066/8 Karting

Sep 29, 2023
    Exactly this.

The Modena is a great car; the CS is in another league though.

Similar for the 996: the Carreras are nice cars, the Turbos and the GT3s are fantastic, but the GT2 is really the one to get.

LightGuy and cavlino like this.
  22. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Just for some perspective, some of us have no interest in a CS because it isn't a manual, and it's too track focused.

cavlino and peterp like this.
  23. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    CS - posh art. The 'only' cs I'd consider would be a ratty 'ratarosa' variant..... it get's driven, used, and loved.... vs today's $300k financial instruments..... which are cool to.... but might as well be an old violin.

The CS falls between the regular modena - CS - then the real race car challenge cars.

The 996 TT is a great drivers platform... which you can make into what-ever you desire.... lw 2wd gt2, or 1000hp grand tourer.....

G. Pepper and cavlino like this.
  24. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I followed the 996GT2 market for years as IMO it was the sleeper investment in a Porsche "supercar". Bought one at the bottom of the market.
    Its just a rare Monster. Only about 1000 made worldwide from 2001 to 2005. As such I call her "Nessie". Hardly ever seen.
    The 360 , while cool when it first came out, rapidly cooled in my mind. It was the F1 transmission that did it so never bought one. Even had shots at CS's for 130K ish. Ooops.
    At the same time 430 Scuds were just a tad more. That's where I really blew it. A manual converted 430 Scud would be just about the perfect car.
    Right now the sleeper investment / knock your socks off car is the Mac 675LT. Shhhhh.....
    Retired I'd have to sell a bunch of toys to afford one. Don't know if I want to go there.

066/8 and one4torque like this.
  25. pong996

pong996 Rookie

Nov 11, 2003
    Having owned only Porsches (mostly 996/997 GT cars + air-cooled) up until a week ago. Finally decided to check off a grail status car of mine since it's release...

@cavlino recreating Top Gear circa 2004

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ZF123, 066/8, Texas Forever and 5 others like this.