458 Clicking Sound at around 3mph | FerrariChat

458 Clicking Sound at around 3mph

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by romeof1, Jun 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. romeof1

romeof1 Rookie

Jan 31, 2021
    Full Name:
    Roman A
    I just got my 2013 458 Spider with 5k miles back from the dealer for an oil change. Not sure that its connected, but I noticed it makes a clicking sound when it crosses approximately 3 mph, whether its decelerating or accelerating past 3 mph, and even when it's in neutral and even if the automatic parking brake is disabled. Any idea what it may be? The video with sound is here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/kd3j1cmatjwhggv/20210611_172703.mp4?dl=0

Thank you all in advance!

2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    WTH? Never heard that before.

I'd start by disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes, then reconnect it following the reconnection procedure in the manual. In some cases, that can resolve odd-ball issues that crop up on the 458, etc.

There is also a system on the car which automatically re-tensions the e-brake cable as I recall. You might try operating the e-brake manually on and off a few times to see if that helps anything.

Very odd noise for sure.

Ray

MalibuGuy likes this.
  3. romeof1

romeof1 Rookie

Jan 31, 2021
    Full Name:
    Roman A
    #3 romeof1, Jun 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    Thanks Ray. For what its worth, That noise does not happen unless the car crosses the 3mph threshold. It doesnt do it at 4mph or 2mph or any other speed, but in that video, I went from 2 to 4 and from 4 to 2, but once I am driving, that sounds doesnt crop up.

RayJohns likes this.
  4. romeof1

romeof1 Rookie

Jan 31, 2021
    Full Name:
    Roman A
    It actually sounds like an actuator going on at 3mph. It does it in reverse at 3mph as well. Dealer has no clue but will ask a technician tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

5. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    If it was only when speeding up I’d guess automatic locking or other things that happen automatically when in motion, but I don’t know many that would trigger when slowing.

6. romeof1

romeof1 Rookie

Jan 31, 2021
    Full Name:
    Roman A
    Figured out the issue - its the relay under the steering wheel trying to actuate, and sometimes actually actuating, the trunk lock switch. Confirmed with my mechanic friend and the help of an OBD reader, a sound recording app on my phone, and him seeing it.

RayJohns and Depreciating Asset like this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    So what is the fix?

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. romeof1

romeof1 Rookie

Jan 31, 2021
    Full Name:
    Roman A
    Not sure if its a bug or normal operation, and not worth the headache at this point, so leaving it alone.

9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Have you reset the car's ECU's by disconnecting the battery and following the reconnect procedure in the manual? You'd be surprised how often that cures issues like these on Ferraris.

Ray

10. HKMC168

HKMC168 Rookie

Nov 12, 2018
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    MC Chan
    Ferrari dealer told me it is the Electronic Parking Brake wire and motor issue. The wire and motor become loose. They said it has no safety issue. Both motor and wire need to be replaced if you do not want to hear the sound anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. fazooley

fazooley Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2005
    The crapola they feed us is legendary. You dont want to be irritated anymore, replace the motor and wire @ a cost of 5000 LOL

12. KnifeEdge2k1

KnifeEdge2k1 Karting

Jun 1, 2022
    Full Name:
    Dominic Leung
    I'm having a very similar issue

Weird clicking going both forward and reverse

Only audible at low speed simply because at higher speeds wind noise and engine noise drown it out in guessing.

Not sure if it is coming from the brakes or transmission

Doesn't only happen at 3mph, I've heard it happening at up to 15mph.

Will attach a go pro at some point and see if I can get some video/audio of the phenomenon

13. KnifeEdge2k1

KnifeEdge2k1 Karting

Jun 1, 2022
    Full Name:
    Dominic Leung
    Recorded the sound on a go-pro and posted on youtube

put some timestamps in as well

14. KnifeEdge2k1

KnifeEdge2k1 Karting

Jun 1, 2022
    Full Name:
    Dominic Leung
    I have a feeling it's transmission shift noise (is it supposed to be this loud ?)

It certainly feels like the sound occurs when the transmission shifts gears or is in a situation where it's shifting in and out of neutral (low rpm low speed low gear)

I tried rolling in to my underground parking lot and didnt hear one click while in neutral (not a huge samplesize so maybe i'm just fooling myself)

15. ferrari360man

ferrari360man Rookie

Sep 30, 2010
    Toronto Canada
    Hi, just saw this thread. Mine is doing the same thing, only low speeds and accelerating normally. Did you ever find anything out? This can't be normal or good, it sounds like something is going to let loose. My car is a 2010 with 32k miles.

16. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Guess. Pebble / debris in caliber?

17. KnifeEdge2k1

KnifeEdge2k1 Karting

Jun 1, 2022
    Full Name:
    Dominic Leung
    I have a feeling it is transmission shift noise

I've taken the car back to the official ferrari dealer for a service and they didn't mention anything about it so I guess it is normal

18. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Perhaps post up an audio clip would help…

SV

19. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    I heard that it can be the wheel hub. I was at the dealer once they were replacing the rear wheel hubs on a 458. I asked why. The hub eventually goes if these cars stand still under their own weight and are not driven or moved every once in a while.

Not sure if that is the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

20. Richard Browne

Richard Browne Karting

Sep 26, 2020
    Wiltshire
    Full Name:
    Richard Browne
    #20 Richard Browne, Jun 20, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
    Did you ever resolve the clicking sound?

I have heard that this could be due to the two piece CCD floating rotor nuts slightly loosing their torque causing this click. The slight loosening of the nuts is caused by the heat cycles of the rotor.

The solution is to re-torque but apparently Ferrari will not release the Brembo torque value to dealers and Brembo won't either due to being under license to Ferrari. Ferrari solution is to replace the carbon rotor!....Hmmm.

21. KnifeEdge2k1

KnifeEdge2k1 Karting

Jun 1, 2022
    Full Name:
    Dominic Leung
    Nope

I am still unsure where it really is from

I'm 50/50 split between thinking it is hub/rotor related and it being shift noise.

22. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Maddening but believable. This is the best info I can find about the specs (albeit not Brembo): https://racingbrake.com/two-piece-rotor-assembly-torque-instructions/

23. Richard Browne

Richard Browne Karting

Sep 26, 2020
    Wiltshire
    Full Name:
    Richard Browne
    Yeah I have already seen this page...the perception is that the torque values here are about right but don't assume so...these CCDs are very expensive to get it wrong.

24. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I had this precise issue with my F8. Dealer claimed it was normal and nothing can be done. A poster on this forum contacted me privately complaining about the same issue. His dealer diagnosed the problem and corrected it. The problem is due to the electronic security latch on the front trunk. Apparently, when accelerating from a stop,and subsequently coming to a stop, the frunk electronically closes and opens , thereby making that click sound.In my circumstance, the sound resembled more of a knock sound. Filling the rubber boot surrounding the latch with lithium grease cured the problem.

25. Richard Browne

Richard Browne Karting

Sep 26, 2020
    Wiltshire
    Full Name:
    Richard Browne
    Did his 'click' sound the same as the click in the following video please?...