Corvette C8 eRay reveal January 17, 2023 | FerrariChat

Corvette C8 eRay reveal January 17, 2023

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by jimmyb, Jan 16, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    I don't have the time of the reveal, hopefully will know tonight and will add to this thread

italiafan and VAF84 like this.
  2. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Waiting with baited breath...

Or perhaps I'll stitch my head to the carpet :eek:

Kidding- <well not actually> but thanks for posting- I'm sure this abomination be of interest to many- And if it keeps GM profitable then so be it.

Cheers :cool:

3. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    ^^^
    Seriously?

4. Jonathan19

Jonathan19 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2017
    France
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Normaly it's Today 10am EST on Youtube.

5. Jonathan19

Jonathan19 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2017
    France
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

"Move forward and there sits a high-output electric motor that housed beneath the front trunk. It gets its power from a 1.9-kilowatt-hour battery. The hybrid system, which adds just 118 kilograms to the E-Ray’s curb weight, is also somewhat different. The battery was specifically designed to give up its power and accept a charge very quickly. In this regard, it is more capacitor-like than a conventional battery, which makes the electric response instantaneous.
    More importantly, the electric motor adds 160 hp and 125 lb-ft of torque and drives the front P275/30R20 tires. The plus is the motor’s gearing brings a torque multiplication factor of eight, so when acceleration is demanded, the E-Ray scoots in a serious hurry. The fact the gas and electric power sources combine to produce a net output of 655 hp sure helps things along!"

https://thecharge.ca/vehicle-reviews/12482/

Boomhauer and italiafan like this.
  6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I’m more a Z06 enthusiast than E-Ray…but “abomination,” really? Why? I think it will be a great street car for many enthusiasts. It looks as though the electric motors are there purely for performance enhancement since their range and top speed are pretty lackluster.

carguyjohn350, Boomhauer and boxerman like this.
  7. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I need to see what it sounds like. Don't think I can pass on the Z06, for the whole package. However, if I can get the Z06 wide body, at a pretty good discount, it may be better than a C8 while waiting on Z06 prices to get watered down. Normally I'm a bigger fan of the Grand Sport anyway, it's the sound of that high revving flat plane crank engine that has me lusting for the Z06 this time around.

LARRYH, italiafan and Wikdstrate like this.
  8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    italiafan likes this.
  9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    What's weird is they made the front look like the NSX

10. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Abomination probably too strong a word- It is what it is- God bless yet another DuracellMobile :eek::rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:

LARRYH likes this.
  11. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    boxerman likes this.
  12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

E rey is going to sound like a regular vette with some electric overlay. Subjectively its no z06, objectively its a better more useable more responsive road car, that may make it a better car for many. But cool cars have a large emotional connection and one cannot predict consumer repones here.
    If I can use some of the vette sites as a guage, many really like the e-rey and think its a betrt option. Time will tell.

many of us here hope the e-rey takes pressure of the z06 in terms of orders, and that maybe just maybe it or the zr1 frees the z06 to go lighter and harder, although maybe that has to wait for the c9 which is apprently still the same platform and coming in 7 years.
    We've got a 10-15 year time horizon when this platform will just plain improve, and its pretty dang good already.

atomicskiracer, italiafan and VAF84 like this.
  13. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Interesting that you like the grandsport good to hear are you amember of the gransport registry… while I have not been active of late i have been a lifetime member forever.. one of my cars is a 1996 grandsport the first one sold to the public with a letter from GM ..I have owned it since around 2001 or so these had special serial numbers and only 1000 were built and all were manual transmission…fun..

VAF84 likes this.
  14. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I noticed the nose looks much better than the C8, as it looks like it is sloping down instead of straight out with that out-of-proportion opening in the nose of the car. Hopefully these newer design elements will follow thru to the rear of the car. C8s are incredible performers, but for me not the greatest lookers, JMO.

I actually saw 7 in Vero beach in one day 2 weeks ago.

VAF84 likes this.
  15. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

That's really cool! I remember seeing those 96 Grand Sport as kid, great looking cars. Never driven or ridden in one though, I'm more familiar with the C6's and newer generations.

Thanks for directing me to the registry, I had no clue that existed. It's funny because earlier today I was trying to figure out what was GM's equivalent of the Shelby Cobra, and as soon as I pulled up the registry I see this beautiful, silver 1963 Grand Sport Replica. You've managed to inadvertently answer my question!

LARRYH likes this.
  16. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    You should take a look the 96 was pretty cool mine has a red intrior and
    Blue with the painted white stripe …..they are a nice car with. Significant performance increase over a regular hp

VAF84 likes this.
  17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Where i live c8s are like yellow taxis in Ny. One day when all those grey hairs move on, c8s are going to be the used car bargain of the century.

18. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Here in Charlotte I never see them (C8's). McLarens? See at least 3 a week.

19. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

You see one in your garage everyday don't you. ;-) LOL

20. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    I actually do see a C8 everyday...in my garage. McLaren...in my garage? Nope

21. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I know you have a C8 not a Mac. That's why I said you see one everyday(aC8) which you said you never see. It's a joke, get it.

Corvette guys here are so touchy. Don't worry I have a corvette, but when I'm on the corvette sites I don't try and say my other cars are better, faster. Who the f cares, right. Buy what you like, drive what you like.

22. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    ^^^
    Huh?
    Where did I say ANYTHING about Corvettes being better/faster/etc than other cars?
    I simply stated that I see more McLarens than C8's on the roads of Charlotte NC. How you took that any other way is beyond me...:rolleyes:
    Maybe you're the "touchy" Corvette owner?

23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Whats interesting is over on the corvette forum when you read the wishes/complaints of many about the z06, specifically why is it not a supercharged sbc with lots of low down tq like before(they're aware not great for track but responsive on street)its clear that the e-rey is really what those buyers looking for.
    Two different cars z06 and e-rey, kudos to chev for doing both.

Boomhauer and Piper like this.