why should i NOT buy a Corvette E-Ray? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

why should i NOT buy a Corvette E-Ray?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ross, Jan 30, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
  2. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    again, not my only car. i perpetually have at least one car in the shop. it does not affect my life. bothersome yes, but i wont stress about it since i have other stuff to drive

Texas Forever and VAF84 like this.
  3. ab08

ab08 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2007
    Take the Z06 for a test drive.
    It's the best-sounding Corvette ever, near-E-Ray performance numbers, slightly lighter, and much more reliable.
    Similar prices.
    Unless you really want the hybrid, which also has a beautiful N/A V8, but with all that complexity and extra weight due to hybridization.
    This C8 generation of Corvette is a tremendous car.

HotShoe, SirTony76 and VAF84 like this.
  4. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    frankly i dont need either.....but the e-ray just speaks to me because of the tech at a cheap rate.
    i am already signed up for a Z06, but i was just going to flip the spot.
    the e-ray is tempting to hold onto and then parlay that into the Z06 hybrid (which might be called the ZR1) that will likely have 800bhp and rival the sf90 for $150k vs $750k.

VAF84 likes this.
  5. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #30 ross, Jan 31, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    btw, one of the important metrics of this discussion is the comparison between this car and the 296gtb...... EXCEPT i forgot about something.....i CANNOT buy a 296gtb.
    never mind whether i, or any of you, have the funds, if you have not already ordered one, you cannot have one - they are sold out for however many (i think 20k) they will make.
    so its a moot point.

you can buy an Artura of course, but why bother - if you are going to buy a non-Ferrari hybrid sportscar, then why pay 2x for the Mclaren when the E-ray is cheaper and FASTER.

it is faster than an f8 and almost as fast as a pista. (actually we dont yet know how fast it will be on summer tires in warmer weather since all we know now is that it does 0-60 on all weather tires in michigan in january.....

when you think about this with your brain and not your heart......it starts to make sense.

its not like you guys are going to take my 'Ferrari guy' card away for owning a vette :)

jm2, Texas Forever and VAF84 like this.
  6. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Doesn't mean they won't try! :D

Good point on the 296GTB. They were telling me that when I was at the dealer earlier this week. Finally got to see it in the flesh, very nice, but as you point out, unobtainable.

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Every Ferrari owner wants Corvette performance. Every Corvette owner wants the Ferrari status..viscous cycle..

8. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the other irony is that as usual, 90% of the 296 owners wont be driving the car more than 1k miles/yr, whereas the vette buyer is more likely to drive it all the time.

italiafan, VAF84 and Texas Forever like this.
  9. DrDweeb

DrDweeb Karting

Nov 30, 2013
    I like hybrid and have EV
    We probably should wait a few years until there is some history for the hybrid

VAF84 likes this.
  10. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Two reasons:

1. No manual transmission
    2. By buying one you validate their business decision and support their move away from ICE. You become part of the problem, like all of the new Ferrari buyers who ordered automatic paddles instead of manuals when they had a choice.

HotShoe and Shark01 like this.
  11. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Z06!

Why have the added complexity of the E-Ray? The advantage is so minimal it's not worth the potential issues. Not too mention it's pushing 4,000+ pounds. GM doesn't exactly have the quality track record that would inspire confidence in this department so if you do go the E route I'd stay away from the first year.

12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  13. Kmaaq

Kmaaq Formula Junior

Jul 26, 2019
    Full Name:
    Khalid Mohammed ALQattan
    1- All C8’s look ugly

That really is enough of a reason for me. I care about how a car looks. But also:

2- I’ll never believe the performance numbers of American cars until I see for myself.

ross likes this.
  14. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    bball16, VAF84 and HotShoe like this.
  15. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Nice!

The C7 has aged very well and IMO is more an American Icon than the C8. Hell of a lot of car for the money.

JohnnyRay, RedNeck and technom3 like this.
  16. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    paulchua likes this.
  17. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i dont think it is the best looking car, and i tend to agree with you that i prefer to buy on looks.
    but, the c8 is growing on me :)

JohnnyRay, VAF84 and Texas Forever like this.
  18. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

Who's to say the e ray will be less reliable than the z06?

So far most hybrid power trains have been very problem free.

19. lilsammy

lilsammy Rookie

Aug 17, 2021
    Full Name:
    SM
    performance is cheap and plentiful on the market these days. A crummy plastic ipad $52k tesla will do 0-60 in 3.7s.

what's actually valuable is racing pedigree, driving experience, brand mythology & history, network/community, ecosystem, build quality, customer service, warranty/maintenance support, long-term value....these are all things a GM will never have

F2003-GA likes this.
  20. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Why take the risk for minimal gains?

A hybrid should bring much more to the table to make it an attractive option. Otherwise why bother?

21. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Talk about unobtainable I have a SF90 Spider on waitlist and I’m #283 for a Z06 at Ciocca. Who knows when either will finally arrive. My plan was to drive the Z06 for about a year and then decide if I still want the SF90. That’s not going to happen.

22. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I do love the C8, but I'm just not ready to give up a raw, obnoxious V8 with a manual yet. I had my C5Z for 10 years. I see no reason the 7Z shouldn't stay just as long if not longer.

Um, a Cor..uh..vette doesn't have, uh, racing pedigree and history?

23. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    Not a fan of the C8. Looks too "try hard" to me. It's as big as an Aventador now too. I'm a vette fan, owned one from '95 - fairly recently. The C5 shares the curvaceous beauty of the 360 and the C7, the aggressiveness of the more modern Ferrari V8's. Is the C8 a good car.... undoubtably. It just looks terrible to me. But...beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I may start looking for another '04 CE Z06 as a stable mate to the 360 manual.

24. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

Well the z06 engine that was touted as indestructible has already launched an engine or two... So the reliability of the motor is actually in question. (of course manufacturing blems happen so it could be a fluke... But... Maybe not time will tell)

25. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    C8 looks much much better in person.

VAF84 and bball16 like this.