458 - Output shaft seal leaking | FerrariChat

458 Output shaft seal leaking

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by LivingthedreamBAB, Jan 29, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    My right output shaft is leaking so need to replace the seal. Anyone done this before themselves? Obviously have to remove driveshaft first but anyone know how the output shaft flange that attaches to the driveshaft is removed?

Any help is appreciated as closest mechanic that will do this for me is 5 hours away.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    No one?

3. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Perhaps have a trained tech take a look. Slight seepage might not warrant service.
    My 360 had a torn rear axle boot and it just took a night for all the grease to leak out.
    I saw the puddle on the garage floor the next morning. I think the entire axle was replaced
    In the 458, the rear axle boot is pretty durable. I’m not sure if just the boot and be replaced or if it requires the entire new axle.
    ( I am assuming that by output shaft — it’s the same as rear axle

4. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it’s not the axle shaft boot that is leaking. That would be a very simple fix for me that I’ve fixed many times on cars (have to fix 2-3x a year on Porsche race car). The leak is from the seal on the transmission where the output shaft comes out.

5. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    So the DCT seals are embedded into the metal case which comes apart in various sections.

The box comes out to be serviced The box gets opened and dismantled. I doubt most Ferrari techs have the level of expertise to do this. This is why in the early days the solution was to replace the entire box.

Now certain techs have advanced training and there are repair kits too

I think you should get an expert

6. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    I hear you but the output seal is not embedded into the case. It’s just a press in.

7. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    How you going to press it out?
    All the seals are pressed in
    You need to remove the DCT and dismantle the case and figure out how to extract the seal

the seal usually has some sort of metal
    Race bearing and is an asymmetrical design

But give it a try anyway with the DCT in the car

8. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    [hope this opens
    ATTACH=full]3475342[/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Where are you going to source the new seal?
    Ricambi?

10. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    I’m not trying to get the seal inside out. It’s the seal that is in the outside of the trans where the passenger side output shaft/flange come out of the trans. I’m almost 99% sure that seal comes out without having to open the trans. Just need to remove the output flange that attaches to the right side drive shaft.

Going to take the right side output shaft off today to look at the flange and see how it’s connected. Hopefully just a C clip or bolt. Remove that then use a puller to pull off flange. Remove seal then put back together.

This deal should be about $10 but of course Ferrari doesn’t sell it by itself, only in a rebuild kit for about $400. However, I found the seal part number and it’s the same as those on Mercedes getrag trans so was able to get just that part for $22.

wthensler and MalibuGuy like this.
  11. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    Thanks for the pic. Conforms my thinking as the green part is a bearing not a seal. Seal is on the outside of the trans. Thanks again, I had not seen that picture!

12. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The DCT has 2 sub systems Each has its own fluid and each is pressurized.
    If the systems are leaking then the pressure will not be normal and one may not be able to engage gears such as reverse.

I think someone was posting about a Reverse gear issue

13. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007

14. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Do you have a Getrag workshop manual to help you?
    Can you post a picture of what you are working on
    That would be helpful

15. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Another pic

16. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    The red arrow is pointing to the seal I am talking about. No this is not my transmission but used a pic of one to show what deal I’m talking about (ie. Right side output seal)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    Seal not “deal”. Lol

18. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    May the force be with you! I mean Forza…
    I do not have experience in this. Good luck and let us know what you learn

19. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    Ok so here are more pics. I removed the right side drive shaft.

-First picture I circled the flange I need to get off
    -Second picture is the seal that is leaking w arrow pointing to it that I need to replace.
    -Third picture is inside the flange I need to remove with rubber seal of some sort circled.

Hopefully this gives a clearer understanding of what is leaking and what I need to remove. So question is “how do I remove the flange in the first picture?” Does the rubber seal come off in the third picture and then there is a C clip under, what am I missing? This flange has to come off without opening the trans box so assume I am just missing something easy. Thanks!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Eds458

Eds458 Karting

Jan 24, 2020
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Edward Lagunte
    Yes the the small cap comes out. Behind it you’ll find a hex bolt. The flange does have a clip at the the end of the splines so you’ll have to pop the flange out either with a slide hammer or pry bar.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    Thank you SO much! That’s what I thought I needed to do. However didn’t know there was a clip too. Assume a three arm puller could pop it out. Then when installed back in the trans I assume you can just tap it back in?

Happen to have the page from the manual that shows the procedure for this clip? I have the regular repair manual but as u know that doesn’t talk at all about repair to trans.

THANKS AGAIN!!

22. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    Ed, your the man! Thanks a million. Someday when I need a complete rebuild I’ll let ya know!

MalibuGuy likes this.
  23. Eds458

Eds458 Karting

Jan 24, 2020
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Edward Lagunte
    Lol! I actually rebuild transmissions for a living. If and when my 458 has transmission issues I’m going to do it myself.

Good luck with the job, I know it will work out. After all it’s just a car

MalibuGuy likes this.