F8 - Looking into an F8 but 911 Turbo S or maybe even GT2 RS have my attention, thoughts? | FerrariChat

F8 Looking into an F8 but 911 Turbo S or maybe even GT2 RS have my attention, thoughts?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Dmxf, Feb 2, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dmxf

Dmxf Rookie

Feb 6, 2011
    I've noticed some posts similar to this with regard to the 458 vs Porsche but now the F8. I've never been a big Porsche fan but the new Turbo S and out of production GT2 RS look to be formidable supercars to pick as an option to a Ferrari. I've always been a very hardcore performance enthusiast with my other vehicles and when young was an engineer in the aerospace field so as I approach being able to acquire a Ferrari (with help of a great year or two) it doesn't feel right to be potentially outdone during the infrequent sporting encounter by something less expensive after making such a huge purchase as a F8. I realize there are other aspects besides pure performance, which is part of what draws me to the F8, but have others here run across this dilemma? I will likely not be tracking the car. Porsche's supposedly are an engineers car with everything optimized to be an extension of your own extremities. Maybe if things like a tune, exhaust, maybe suspension tweaks, etc are done on the F8 it would make it an over the top decision but then you risk voiding the warranty and the same could be done to the Porsche. Thoughts?

2. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    #2 Kent Adams, Feb 2, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    Great dilemma of course to have, GT2RS or F8! It all depends. Will the Porsche touch all 5 driving senses, which are essential to my purchasing decisions, or are you approaching the car from a purely technical standpoint? I'm of the belief that engineers will like a Porsche better than a Ferrari. Ferrari is about emotion, touching the entire experience of driving a car. Porsche is better for people that appreciate a good slide rule. Personally, I would not put a Turbo S into the mix, but a GT2RS, yeah, that's a different ball game. Unlike the GT3, the GT2RS I feel will grab some attention beyond the normal 911, but I doubt it will bring anywhere near the attention of an F8 other than with enthusiasts. That should be a consideration if you are a naturally introverted person. Both the GT2RS and the F8 will hold their value equally in my opinion. It's a tough choice. The Porsche might be whom you "marry", but the Ferrari will be the hot goomah (mistress) on the side and is always exciting to be with. You'll need to decide for yourself which one you want. Every time I get into my Ferrari, I feel like a child going to an amusement park. Both are awesome cars.

Wikdstrate and blkdiablo33 like this.
  3. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    drive all and imo get the f8 its truly a special car,last of its breed

4. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

There will always be something a little faster and a driver a little faster so prepare to be “potentially outdone” no matter what you buy.

If you are taking the perspective of an aerospace engineer - get the Porsche.

If you allow emotion and other factors into the decision process, then consider the Ferrari.

Both are awesome.

Disclaimer - I own 2 of both brands so no bias, just opinion.

mdrums and RoadRonin like this.
  5. SJU

SJU Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Sal J
    I went from a series of GT Porsches and RS's to the new 992 Turbo S to F8 last summer.
    The only Porsche that rivals the experience and emotion of the F8 was the GT3 RS. The Turbo S was soul-less and suffered a host of quality issues, so I sold after 4 months.
    F8 trumps all but the GT2RS, if you track.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  6. jc1

jc1 Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2021
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Joey (2012 458 Spider)
    Engineering and technical perfection- Porsche
    Emotional and sensory perfection- Ferrari

For me I'd take a GT4/ 911 GTS/Turbo as a daily and 458 over owning one 2RS or F8.

7. SJU

SJU Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Sal J
    Omega.PO85 and Boiler Inspector like this.
  8. Between the F8 and 991 GT2 RS?

Get the Porsche.

Easy decision.

Ash Patel likes this.
  9. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Same answer if it were a GT3RS?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. Which generation? 991 or 992?

11. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    I’ve had the last 4 generations of turbo S The 992 is a great car but very boring compared to an f8 but also about 2/3 the cost so depends how much you want to spend. I sold mine last summer after a year and just took delivery of my new f8 which is much more fun

RoadRonin likes this.
  12. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. Dmxf

Dmxf Rookie

Feb 6, 2011
    Thanks for the inputs. I drove an F8 and a Turbo S and have just seen a couple of GT2 RS. The F8 was very quiet and seemed quite docile around town, I would probably want a lot of upgrades to that to make it more exciting which may add a huge amount to the cost. The dilemma I've having with a Porsche is spending all that $ for something the average person can't tell the difference between that and a $75k lesser old model, but the performance helps elevate it to still be a consideration. I was thinking possibly Turbo S to achieve what I want for less of an investment. I would most definitely have to put a lot of upgrades into the Turbo S to make it worthy of sensory and performance expectations (equal the GT2 RS?). The problem is it looks like by the time I'm done getting what I would really like for a Turbo S (ideally even carbon fiber wheels, etc) it will probably be in excess of $300k, again a lot for a car that you see a "lot of" on the road and getting close to the other candidates.

14. Can't say.

Have not driven the 992 GT3 RS.

15. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Please do not take this the wrong way but you seem really concerned with other people being able to tell what you spent or being "faster" than other cars. I think you should focus on what you enjoy driving and forget whether people notice/care or whether you would win a theoretical drag race.

16. ChaosAD!

ChaosAD! Karting

Jul 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    John Shinas
    #16 ChaosAD!, Feb 2, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    I’m an engineer (Mechanical) and I appreciate Porsches very much. They’re just boring to me and frankly they don’t get my pants tight. I drove a 992 Turbo S. The performance was outstanding but I just couldn’t bring myself to pull the trigger. The GT3, GT3 RS and GT2 RS, I couldn’t have gotten an allocation anyway but even if I could, they just look too Fast and Furious to me. The big goofy wings and gills and decals and all the other fuss just don’t do it for me. If Nurburgring lap times and pure track performance is what you’re aiming for get the Porsche.

The F8 strikes a balance between all that I personally look for in an exotic. Aesthetics, performance, uniqueness, emotion, engineering and so on. It may not better than a Porsche on a single thing but it’s superior across all of them. In my humble opinion.

Not a day goes by that I don’t see at least one 911 on my commute to work and several Porsches in general, Ferrari’s you don’t see every day much less every month.

I appreciate all marques for various reasons but I buy the one that checks all the boxes for me. My F8 and F12 compliment each other nicely and I like them both for different reasons.

This simply my opinion from my lens and I don’t claim to be right. Car enthusiasts from all brands tend to get offended when someone critiques their favorable car maker so my apologies in advance if I offended any Porsche fans.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11 and TR007 like this.
  17. Dmxf

Dmxf Rookie

Feb 6, 2011
    Well articulated ChaosAD. I apologize for probably being too critical of the Porsches as it appears it came across too harshly... just remember I did also bring up some potential shortcomings of the Ferrari! Purchasing an F8, or equivalent, is a huge expenditure for me that I've worked hard for my whole life to achieve so for all that outlay I guess expectations are quite high for satisfying every attribute. At the right times in unpopulated areas I do sometimes play a little with friends/others with various marques so actual performance is more than just purely academic.

18. ChaosAD!

ChaosAD! Karting

Jul 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    John Shinas
    I think I was more critical of Porsches than you were lol

At any rate, it’s not wrong if you buy the car that satisfies the attributes you deem most important based on your budget.

Good luck of course and go with your gut

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. Terrence

Terrence Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2004
    Hawaii/LA
    Full Name:
    Terrence
    I have a 458 spider with a few mods. I plan on never selling it. It feels alive and gives me tremendous excitement every time I drive it. I had a F12 which was fun, but not near;y as fun as the 458 except the sound was even better. Power was amazing too. Sold it because an 812 GTS is coming.

just got a 992 turbo S cab as a daily driver. For what I use it for, it is probably bringing a gun to a knife fight. I put it in normal mode 90 % of the time with quiet exhaust mode and soft suspension. It rides so comfortably with PDCC. It is a great daily driver with every luxury and tech amenity.

For weekend excitement, Ferraris are usually better. As a daily driver, it is very hard to beat the 992 turbo S.

20. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    You’re here on Fchat, buy the F8

TR007 likes this.
  21. Bell911

Bell911 Karting

May 27, 2021
    Full Name:
    Matthew Rosten

No way, that is crazy. What did you do?

22. lamborarijason

lamborarijason Karting

Sep 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I considered 992 Turbo S as daily, ended up going with Taycan Turbo S in Jan 2021, huge mistake. It is even quicker than 992 Turbo S in daily driving situations despite what number suggests, no need to even use launch control, punch it and go without looking like even trying. It virutally beats anything in straightline on take off, you always have that invincible confidence, handles like 911, but I got tired of it in a week, I put up with it for a year as it has back seats for the kids. After I got rid of Taycan Turbo S, I picked up a NSX type S, Model X plaid, and F8.

I am not sure if I understand you correctly, sounds like you are worried that 992 GT2RS or F8 will get beat by lesser expensive cars on random encounters in straightline. You don't need to worry about that when your tires are up to temperature, both are amazing cars capable of very low 10s even sub 10s 1/4 mile @138~142mph with right tires, there are F8 that ran sub 10s stock. It will require a 765LT, SF90, 296, Model S/X Plaid or something heavily modified to to beat it assuming you don't just spin tires. The F8 rolling acceleration feels as fast as my Model X plaid and a ton faster than my previous Aventador SV.

F8 is elegant, brutally fast, instant off the line, beautiful to look at, not over the top attention, great all around daily. It is however not as emotional as GT2RS. You can't go wrong with either. There are also times I prefer driving a slower manual car. Don't worry about others, just get what you like. There are so many great cars out there.

23. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Ash Patel likes this.