Official book collectors thread | Page 216 | FerrariChat

Official book collectors thread

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by lil squid, Jun 9, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    Thank you very much for your interesting post! I have been thinking about buying this book for a long time, but never did, because the DBR9 was built until 2016, and this book has been published in 2012! So four years of history are missing. But as you say this book sets a benchmark, it will climb dramatically on my wish list ;) (my apologies for taking the liberty to write about a non-Ferrari-related topic).

Halfwit, Nembo1777 and gt4me like this.
  2. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Your post brought a question to mind that I have been meaning to ask everyone here. I usually buy books like the DBR9 book; single car books on development of a particular car, other examples: the 918 Porsche and Aston Martin V8 books, from Palawan, Mclaren’s book on the F1, the Valkyrie book.
    Do any of you have other books, along the line of the above mentioned, that you might recommend?

3. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    The Miura Book is in the same vain if you can find a copy at a fair price.

Halfwit and Llenroc like this.
  4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Nathan’s @piloti 550 Maranello book. Matthias’s @GermanDino Dino Compendium. @Doug Nye ’s GTO 64. If I missed any it shouldn’t be taken as a non-recommendation.

piloti, Llenroc and Rosey like this.
  5. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Also check out the Porter Press range of model specific books.

Admittedly some are better then others

ChoroQ likes this.
  6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
  7. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Thanks Jack; I do have those books which by the way are well done.

Rosey likes this.
  8. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Haha, that’s my problem and why I was asking; its hard to tell what you going to get before you spend the $. Thought I would ask you guys if there were any that I haven’t noticed.
    I do have several from porter press as they have done a pretty good job so far.

9. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I guess just buy the Porter Press books of the specific models you are interested in.

I have all the Ferrari model specific books from them and I have found them to be informative, great photos and beautifully finished.

LVP488, Buchpilot and Llenroc like this.
  10. Seppefan

Seppefan Karting

Aug 24, 2021
    Ferrari 250 GTO by James Page and Keith Bluemel is a buy.

Llenroc, Halfwit and Rosey like this.
  11. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    For Ferrari, apart from the already mentioned Porter Press books (in various formats), the Testa Rossa book (Enzo's ultimate redhead) is also nice (and good value for money).
    The 250 GTO topic is extensively covered in many (maybe too many) books, but I think the 1998 Keith Bluemel / Jess Pourret book (published by Bay books in English, ETAI in French) is a very good introduction.
    Apart from Ferrari, I am very happy with the two Porsche books I recently bought: 911 GT2 published by rpm and Carrera RS published by TAG, as well as with the Palawan Aston Martin V8 books.
    Even more off-topic, I also liked the David Bull published books on the Suzuki GSX-R and Ducati 1098/1198.

Llenroc, ChoroQ, Rosey and 3 others like this.
  12. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    This week, I received Cyrille Jaquinot's Ferrari 330 America book, which in my opinion is absolutely outstanding.

This small-format, 400-page book has been comprehensively researched and instructively written. It's not a high-end production luxury book, but a "grassroots" book for Ferrari enthusiasts. Highly recommended!

13. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    #5388 Rosey, Feb 3, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    Ferrari 250 GTE, Ed Heuvink with Yvo Alexander is a good book I've referred to for information a few times now.

Rebel Rebel, Mark Sonnery and Keith Blumel on the 250 GT SWB Breadvan model is a classic model specific book in my mind at least.

Finally two older Daytona books by Braden/ Roush and on the Competizione version by Huet are two solid books on that subject.

As I said it just depends on what specific models tickle your fancy- their are plenty of good books out there.

14. Seppefan

Seppefan Karting

Aug 24, 2021
    I agree regarding the Ferrari 250 GTE, Ed Heuvink with Yvo Alexander. Less than half the price of the Porter Press version and excellent content. Maybe the cover let’s it down.

readplays, Rosey and Buchpilot like this.
  15. MHK69

MHK69 Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt K
    Sven, isn't the Aston Martin DBR9 a GT1 classification race car? I thought GT1 ended in 2011, so I think the book should cover the complete history of the race car, but maybe my memory isn't so good these days.

Matt

Buchpilot and bloomberg like this.
  16. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    Hi Matt, I am not much familiar with that topic, so probably you are right! Thank you very much!

17. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    readplays, ivo73 and gt4me like this.
  18. SamoanAttorney

Sep 24, 2015
    The GT1 class ran in the FIA GT Championship until 2009. Then Stéphane Ratel introduced the FIA GT1 World Championship which lasted for two seasons. The final year at Le Mans for the LM GT1 class was 2010. The final season that the DBR9 would have been eligible for international competition was 2011. The following seasons saw the introduction of SRO's Blancpain Endurance Series, with GT3 rules and ACO sanctioned events were for LM GTE PRO and LM GTE AM.
    Christoph's DBR9 book is complete.

It should also be noted that £200 for this work would not be possible these days with the massive rise in the cost of paper and printing.

Lusso123, Zeltweg and Buchpilot like this.
  19. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    Thank you very much. Highly appreciated!

SamoanAttorney likes this.
  20. SamoanAttorney

Sep 24, 2015
    All of the books mentioned so far are worthy additions to the library. For those seeking information on individual models at a more modest price, the range of Haynes Owners' Workshop Manuals should be considered. Though these are no longer being published they provide a comprehensive guide to various famous cars. I have their books on the 512 S/M and the 250 GTO, I suggest that you investigate. The latter book is currently on offer at £18.75.
    https://haynes.com/en-gb/ferrari-250-gto-manual

And, no, I do not have a connection to Haynes, though it was written by my old friend, Glen Smale.

readplays and Zeltweg like this.
  21. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    The Haynes Workshop Manual about the 250 GTO is fantastic!

readplays and Zeltweg like this.
  22. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Just keep in mind that when the book was published its price was double the current price. The publisher was very optimistic with the cheapest edition running 2700 copies. As they realized that they couldn’t move that many books at around €400,- , they slashed its price.

Buchpilot and Zeltweg like this.
  23. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
  24. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    I totally agree. I bought it although it is not a Ferrari book. Beautifully produced, great quality and the transparent overlays are just brilliant.
    Nathan

Buchpilot likes this.
  25. Yosh1No

Yosh1No Karting

May 10, 2021
    Hey everyone just want to ask does anyone have recommended Ferrari books about Japan? It would be better to relate about the Vintage Ferrari or culture. One of my friends bought a book written by the pre-250 GTOs owner in Japan, likes a conclusion about his collection, but sadlly the book was confiscated by the customs, anybody knows about that book? Thanks in advanced