430 - CCM replacement pads for track | FerrariChat

430 CCM replacement pads for track

Discussion in '360/430' started by Mario Andretti, Jan 30, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Hi,
    I read that the stock pads; when they are worn about 50% or more, start digging into the CCM disks as they have some metal pins or such.. For the track junkies; what pad do you use to avoid this? Just buy the stock one and keep it new? Track season approaching soon....

Thanks !

2. boostedt0y

boostedt0y Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    Pagid RSC1. I’ve run the pagid, ss brake lines, and endless brake fluid on my scud on track and it’s an improvement over stock. However, for serious track use I would consider switching to steel brakes and more aggressive brake compound.

cavlino, Need4Spd and Mario Andretti like this.
  3. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    #3 Mario Andretti, Jan 31, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    Thanks; that should do for me. I won't be going racing, just enjoy the car on track a few times a year. Are they still street-able, i.e. still have some brake when cold ?
    Also, where do you buy them from...

4. boostedt0y

Dec 25, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    Yes very streetable as the rsc1 is a high performance street pad that can be used for intermediate level track duty. I’ve been an advanced level driver for DE events in my old track gt3 and have driven the scud in the intermediate group with no braking issues with the rsc1.

No squeal and bite is fine when cold. However, I’m in California so cold for me is about 50 deg :)

I bought from competition Motorsport.

cavlino and Mario Andretti like this.
  5. norphaedrus

norphaedrus Rookie

Sep 26, 2011
    Atlanta
    Will be interesting to see feedback from others as I am not the expert.

I saw many references on these concerns from past threads, but seems the studs are softer and just wear down. I proactively replaced the pads on my Scud and in looking at the pads and lack of grooves in my rotor seem to support that.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Mario Andretti likes this.
  6. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    One last question; would you buy both front and rear or just fronts . I mean my OEM pads look like new, wondering if I could get away with just fronts for this year's season (3-4 track days with the Ferrari tops). I know ideally I would get both front and rear...

7. boostedt0y

Dec 25, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    I would buy both front and rear. The brake bias will be impacted by having the more aggressive pad up front and stock pad in the rear. With that said, you may not notice the difference in bias if you are not approaching the limits of braking.

the issue with stock pads on ceramic is the stock pads become very hot when the car is driven aggressively on track. The excess heat can damage the disks from my understanding.

As for the studs on the pagid pads, a lot of gt3 guys who run ceramics use the pagid and I have not seen anyone complain about the brass studs damaging the discos. It’s always a Good idea to change the pads before the pads get close to the backing plate anyway.

cavlino, Need4Spd and Mario Andretti like this.
  8. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Thanks for all the feedback! I will order both front and rear; although I am not that hard on the brakes usually

mike32 and boostedt0y like this.
  9. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The studs don't affect the disc surface. I've run a spare pair of old pads for certain drives and the studs just wear away.

Mario Andretti and boostedt0y like this.
  10. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    YMMV...

... I saw early CS which had damaged CCMs. Maybe they sent out batches of older pads designed for Steels on earlier cars (I wouldn't put it passed them to get it wrong) and that car needed new front discs as it had left severe scoring on the disc surface. I think I even took a picture at the time but it was many years ago now.

With this is mind I wouldn't personally want to take the risk when pads are relatively inexpensive and discs not.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

cavlino likes this.
  11. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    For what it's worth; here is how my front disk/pad looks like right now. I think the white strip close to disk is due to slight overheat; very little use at 19k miles?

12. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    With all Brakes but especially Carbons make sure your last lap on track is a proper cool down lap, very little use of brakes. If you have to do a loop around the paddock.

I had a CS and always did a last lap cool down and a long loop around paddock before parking the car.

Never had issues with brakes.

5 months of DEs with Porsche Club in the Instructor group. Each month was 2 days of track.

Phil57 and Mario Andretti like this.
  13. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    What is "DEs" , sorry

14. norphaedrus

norphaedrus Rookie

Sep 26, 2011
    Atlanta
    Similar to yours mine were not worn that much, but I always felt like braking wasn't what I expected. Taking into consideration that I drive on the street and the brakes needs some heat. Occurred to me that I have never owned a vehicle that had the original brakes 15 years later. Was it this or did one of the previous owners use some kind of wheel cleaner. You just don't know and it's such a minimal investment, so I just bought some new brake pads (again street use) .

I know car forums are littered with "..oh my god it was night and day difference..", but after bedding I was shocked at how different it felt. I don't know why and if it's all in my head that maybe still worth the $600 I paid for the front pads.

The old pads compared to new.

The surface of the old pad

Mario Andretti likes this.
  15. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Ah, Sorry about that most folks that track Ferrari's tracked other Cars first like BMW and Porsches' and those Clubs have events called Drivers Education (DE).

Those events are Instructor led events on a race track but following strict rules such as NO PASSING without the Car being Passed first giving you a Signal to Pass and absolutely no passing in the Corners. Safety first, Education 2nd, Fun is the bonus.

This also used to allow us to not get in trouble with our Insurance companies since we also don't allow any timing devices on track.

Unfortunately for the last several years now Insurance Companies will not insure you on the Road if they are made aware that you may take your car on a race track regardless of above restrictions.

So to be clear, we did not expect to be insured on the track but we did not expect to be denied insurance on the road just because we took our cars on a race track.

Because of the above, sadly my last full season on the racetrack was 2017.

I had an amazing amount of fun though from 2001 until 2017 :) And now I stick to back roads in remote areas of the city/towns that I know very well drive spiritedly ;-)

Oh this is for Canada by the way....

16. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    I see; we have the same rules. Passing by point by only.

I did do a few of those session with Instructor many years ago , but going solo for a while now... I do Advanced and Intermediate depending on my mood; but I found Intermediate to be a bit more dangerous as people try to prove something sometimes... and accidents happen. Even more so in Novice sessions.
    I can get track insurance here with Hagerty; but it's expensive and I never took it on... I just take care, don't go 100%.

I am not sure in US about regular insurance to be denied if you tracked your car? How would they know you tracked it :)

17. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    In the Porsche Club the Levels are:
    Green (Instructor in the Car with Student), White (Graduated from Green ie no Instructor) this group is MOST Dangerous, lots to prove as you state, Blue (Advanced but not enough to be an Instructor), Black Advanced enough to be an Instructor but you may not be able to instruct and drive well at same time), Red (Instructor Level).

So similar to your experience the White (Intermediate) group is the most risky. But at the Region I belonged to (Rennsport PCA) we have NEVER had Car to Car Contact. We are that strict, we will Black Flag Aggressive behavior and if you get 3 Black flags during an event your are grounded from the remaining driving sessions for that event with no refund.

Hmm, we have Hagerty insurance in Canada, I may look into that, not to be covered on the track but just to be covered on the road legally.

When you put an Insurance Policy on a Car since about 2015 if its a Porsche or a Ferrari one of the first questions they ask is "will you take your car on a Race Track?" Doesn't matter for what reason, even Parade Laps for Charity, if you say YES, they say NO we will not allow you to add that Car to your Insurance Policy.

Just for background doesn't matter your Drivers History, I have been driving since 1979, never had an accident, no speeding fines etc. but that doesn't matter to the Insurance Company. Its very-very frustrating.

18. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    That's a bummer. We don't have that insurance issue here. They just won't cover you if you crash on track, hence Hagerty can if you pay their premium for weekend or track day insurance.. Might worth doing it with the Ferrari; it's about 3-400 bucks depending on track, options agreed price, etc.

cavlino likes this.
  19. GogglesPisano

GogglesPisano Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 13, 2022
    East Bay, California
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Were these from the factory CCB's?

My F430 is new to me at 27k miles and I've never driven a car with CCB's before. However, it doesn't quite have the "bite" I was expecting. Oddly enough, it seems to get worse with more braking. The previous owner seems to have babied it so not sure if they were ever bedded in properly. Maybe this is what I'm missing?

20. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Yes this is a 20k factory option. Your brakes just need a fluid flush and some better pads...

GogglesPisano likes this.
  21. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    This information is from 2014 but these are the Pads I switched to at @Michael B recommendation for Track Duty and they performed very well and did not harm the Carbon Rotors.

cavlino said:
    Hi Michael B, I am about to order some replacement pads for my Challenge Stradale that has original carbon rotors. I will be doing about 8 DE track days this year (4 20 minute sessions per DE track day). I see you have recommended:

Front Pad - RS29 Pagid Product Code - E8083
    Rear Pad - RS29 Pagid Product Code - E2487

Phil57 and Michael B like this.
  22. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    #22 Mario Andretti, Feb 2, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  23. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    cavlino likes this.
  24. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Yup, I had a dedicated 1995 Porsche 993 Track Car for several years, I am very familiar with Brake service :) and I did own and use that exact device for bleeding the Brakes and the Clutch :)

25. boostedt0y

Dec 25, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    Motive power bleeder and a 6 piston brake spreader tool make brake jobs much easier.

cavlino likes this.