why should i NOT buy a Corvette E-Ray? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

why should i NOT buy a Corvette E-Ray?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ross, Jan 30, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Yeah, I saw that. IIRC one blew with 51 miles on it.

Having owned a few Chevys I have to say I’m not surprised at all.

*found it…

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a42505195/chevy-to-fix-corvette-z06-engine-failure/

technom3 likes this.
  2. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    I’ve seen a bunch in person and drive one. Just not for me. But, that the joy of variety. :)

dtandy and VAF84 like this.
  3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i am no great fan of GM on any level, but.....you might want to google the attributes you just typed in and add 'corvette' and see what comes up.....

JohnnyRay and VAF84 like this.
  4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    The Corvette has been a force in racing since its inception. Educate yourself.

Judging from the lines to order the E-ray, these may be unobtainable too.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Mmm, no it doesn't.

It really is a bit of an eyesore, both on the internet and in real life.

Eric C likes this.
  6. lilsammy

lilsammy Rookie

Aug 17, 2021
    Full Name:
    SM
    Not able to find much info on google re: Chevy’s F1 team, do you guys mind educating me on that?

7. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    paulchua and VAF84 like this.
  8. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    The 488 and F8 were not compared because they are NOT naturally aspirated. The Speciale is the most direct comparison for the C8 ZO6. Both naturally aspirated mid engine V8's with (sort of) similar horsepower.

VAF84 likes this.
  9. SVanDyck

SVanDyck Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joe Michaels
    Now that Porsche GT cars are 200k plus by the time you add options and dealer bribes like ADM and buying stuff you don’t want, Ferrari will have no issues attracting new customers.

VAF84 likes this.
  10. rampante550

rampante550 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    feel like the mclaren is the obvious choice here

11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Ferraris by in large are Veblen Goods. There are certainly some exceptions among exceptional individuals. Some people are immersed in the vintage racing scene and the rich history of Ferrari and no other car will do. Some are lovers of classic Italian design and the design language of a Ferrari is so special it also offers no substitutes.
    But for the majority of people who desire and purchase a Ferrari it is essentially for status. There are plenty of cars out there whose performance on the street, design, craftsmanship,history, and emotional driving are on par with anything Ferrari has to offer.
    I was standing in my garage the other day staring at my C8 Silver Flare Stingray with carbon flash stripes that was sitting next to my RC Speciale with NART stripe and trying to wrap my head around the differences. Remove all badging from both cars and get a sports car enthusiast in there who just happens to know nothing about either car and ask about the value proposition.
    I personally think the Speciale is one of the most beautiful Ferraris ever made, and prettier than the Stingray. But is it 5-6X “more beautiful” than the Stingray? If you could put a number on it, how is it that much more beautiful? I don’t have a universal answer but for me I don’t think I can say it is “5X more beautiful.” One thing is clear though, when you sit in them back to back the Stingray is without question a much more expensive feeling car. Now, going out on the road the Speciale has a magic sauce; it dances on its tippy toes, sounds unbelievable, and has telepathic steering response. It is a joy to drive. However, the Stingray is no slouch either. I have had great fun carving up very tight mountain twisties in my Stingray, even breaking the rear end out and catching it in a slide. It accelerates very aggressively, has plenty of torque, has great brakes, and has that nice throaty American small block pushrod sound as well. Overall the Speciale is certainly a better experience, but is it “5-6X better?” I don’t know. But I do know that for a great many people dropping ~$550K on a Speciale means you are less likely to drive the wheels off it having a great time on back roads and occasional track days than putting down ~$100K for a Z51 Stingray. I’d wager the product of (smiles per mile)X(# of miles) will be higher in the Stingray than the Speciale because of its daily ease of use.
    In the final analysis of having a fun sports car to enjoy the ownership of in different ways (country roads, track, road trips, commute, camaraderie of fellow enthusiasts, maintenance and repairs, insurance, and the fear factor of leaving it in a parking lot) the Stingray is a very viable option.
    Now, having said all that, look at the Z06 and the justification for the need to spend hundreds of thousands of bucks more to enjoy a sports car becomes a ridiculous proposition. The Z06 will do it all.

Tony91505, USMMA90, Buckwest and 2 others like this.
  12. SVanDyck

SVanDyck Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joe Michaels
    The Ferrari is something we all aspired to achieve since grade school. They are made in smaller numbers than most cars with a lot of passion. It’s performance and it’s art.

The vette is one of the largest automakers in the world reverse engineering one of Ferraris best cars. That’s a pretty good formula for success. How can it be bad. I think the rear is ugly. The front of the stingray is not great either. I also hate the divided interior. I think the vette is awesome but I’m so confused on how they could take a car with such perfect proportions and make it ugly. It is almost like it was done on purpose. I feel like if you hired 100 designers to sketch your car around those proportions 99 of them would be more beautiful than what they decided to make. With all of that said, I probably will add some sort of vette to the fleet pretty soon. It’s just too much car for the money to ignore.

13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Yes, the Speciale is prettier to my eye. However, looking at both these pictures is one truly gorgeous and the other truly ugly?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. SVanDyck

SVanDyck Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joe Michaels
    I normally wouldn’t say anything negative about a forum members personal car, but I get the feeling that you will not be offended. To me, it’s like dating a girl that I want to be attracted to but deep down I am not. I look at it and feel confused. I want to like it because it’s such a great value proposition but something just seems off. I am still going to buy one soon though. I will enjoy it in a different way than I enjoy my Ferrari. I will use it as a way to go places and park places I would never feel comfortable going in a Ferrari. I somewhat do this with my 992 but not to the extent I would with a vette. Also, if someone wants to eat in the car I’ll be like “yeah why not”.

italiafan likes this.
  15. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    except that it is significantly slower, more than twice the price, and wont have a better reliability or dealer experience....

VAF84 likes this.
  16. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    if they had something to sell then yes....currently if you walk into a ferrari dealer you can buy a roma, a portofino, are maybe if you are lucky enough you can buy a used 458 with 5k miles at $50-100k over sticker

BigTex likes this.
  17. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i agree with this assessment.
    i love the speciale - every nut and bolt.

i am tolerant of the stingray. the e-ray is slightly better but not sweeping me off my feet.
    but the value prop for a car to kick around is just too good not consider it.

VAF84, bball16 and italiafan like this.
  18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Not in the least bit offended. I just feel that while beauty is subjective expert designers tell us that there are constraints upon that subjectivity. Certainly in 3D the two cars have different design themes and one is more appealing than the other to different people. To me the Speciale is more appealing. However, to use stark terms like beautiful and ugly I don’t think one term can be applied to one car and then the other equally validated in the second car design. They seem to be shades of each other to me. Not black and white but shades of grey.

paulchua, ross and VAF84 like this.
  19. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    No matter the model. Modern - Mustangs. Camaros. Honda Civics. Corvettes....... ALL THE SAME. A dime a dozen. Nothing special.

20. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'd get a 458 Speciale and if an EV is absolutely neccessary (for daily driving or ease of use i.e. a car you almost never have to fill up at a petrol station since you just plug it in at night), the audi E tron or a taycan (non turbo), then wait for a Bentley continental GT EV or Rolls Spectre (again, if an EV was absolutely required).

willcrook likes this.
  21. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I'll send you $0.10, and tell you where to deliver the Corvettes

JohnnyRay, paulchua and VAF84 like this.
  22. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Guys I did a whole write upon both cars a few months ago. I bought the C8 as a DD. I’ve owned 10 Corvettes in my life and this is hands down the best one ever. I’ve also owned multiple Fcars and the 458 is unquestionably the best ever, but you can’t compare the Corvette to the Ferrari. There is no comparison. The C8 is a ton of fun to drive and I’ve used it like crazy since I got it in the fall and my wife and I took some very spirited drives to Naples and the Keys and we have been very comfortable and enjoyed every minute. I also like pulling up to the valet at the restaurant and tossing him the keys without worrying all through dinner about my car. Truth is the valet’s usually take the same care and park it as they do with the Ferrari, so I just forget it. I used the 458 to Naples a few years ago it was an incredible triple digit drive that kept me smiling ear to ear and as most of you know every ride in it is like the Stones just stepped out on the street. There is no comparison.

paulchua, italiafan, rob5819 and 3 others like this.
  23. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    A Ferrari can be the trophy that gets all attention, likes danger & takes half your money.

A Vette can be the great team mate, understands you & makes life easy n saves for retirement.

But since we do not have to be monogamous with cars, have both if you can.

I told my girl she is my Vette, She smiled and referred to me as her Minivan.:eek:

24. rampante550

rampante550 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    There's no way to say this without sounding rude (I tried), but these points mean close to zero in weighing the options here. Both are obscenely fast, so what - you get to use a slightly lower % of the corvette's potential vs the McLaren's? Doesn't sound any more fun to me

Twice the price of the corvette - I guess if you're getting it at msrp, perhaps that's a factor, but when has GM ever made a good hybrid to begin with? Are their electric cars even proven to be in the top 20% of options at this point? At least you get some x-factor for the (same) potential headaches with the McLaren. Not sure where to even begin on the dealer part tbh, you must have some nice Chevy dealers out your way

25. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    you brought those points up, all i did was counter them in order......

what is undisputable is the prices i have been quoted and they are in fact more than double for the artura.

i do like the artura but for somebody to propose that mclaren build quality is superior to anything other than a lada is pretty funny :)

anyway, dont get bent out of shape about this - its just a spirited discussion.

the sad thing for me is that the ferrari is not even in the running - 4x the price, similar performance, and you cant buy it anyway.