why should i NOT buy a Corvette E-Ray? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

why should i NOT buy a Corvette E-Ray?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ross, Jan 30, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SVanDyck

SVanDyck Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joe Michaels
    This is true but if you were chosen to be one of the first 296 owners you might be able to sell it back to the dealer for close to your purchase price and move on to something else. The situation is frustrating to me, but if I would have started buying Ferraris 10 years ago, l would be in a better position. I had the money 10 years ago, I just didn’t try.

2. rampante550

rampante550 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    We're good, I'm not/wasn't bent out of shape - I tried to make the post sound less terse or flippant, but then it just became way too long, so recognized it could come across as rude pared down.

Tbh, I actually didn't have an argument or any points for the McLaren originally, just a gut reaction after reading through the thread. None of the points in the thread really resonate with me other than the sf90/296 prices being too high relative to what else you could get. I'm not a McLaren fan, but I enjoyed the artura when I had a chance w/ it at a demo day late last summer and found it nicer to look at than some of their other cars. Something about the vette rubs me wrong, but I can't explain it. To each their own

3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    yea, no worries. i am smiling. :)

i have driven many mclaren's and love the car and brand, and actually the more likely scenario is that i buy a mclaren gt.....but i will also explore getting on the list for one of these e-rays.

fwiw, i also drove the 296....fantastic car....ridiculous price tho

paulchua likes this.
  4. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I purchased my first new Ferrari in 2009. I recently sold my 4th one and it did not help me at all when I asked for a SF90. A guy came in who had never owned a Ferrari and has a spot in line ahead of me. The rules of engagement have changed.

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. SVanDyck

SVanDyck Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joe Michaels
    That is horrible. My former boss started a few years ahead of me. We have the same salesperson. Anytime someone backs out of a new car delivery my former boss gets the call and always says yes. After 5 cars he can order almost anything. He turned down the SUV but has a 296 coming.

6. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    My situation is unique. I purchased the first 3 cars at one dealership, the last at another location and placed the order for the SF90 at a new dealership. That might have an impact on my standing. I’ve been told that FNA is calling the shots now and they determine who and when a car is allocated.

7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I totally agree with your first part, "performance is cheap and plentiful on the market these days."

I'm afraid I have to disagree with your second assertion.

GM has some of the most storied racing, brand mythology/history, amazing network/community, eco-system, and depending on the model, build quality and long-term value. Warranty is standard for the industry.

Customer service varies by dealer, I've never been mistreated by a GM dealer. If you think the C8 is ugly, I can't say anything, I think it looks great (guess what, we're both right.)

But in terms of price/performance/experience, I can't think of anything that even comes close.

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Aesthetics is entirely subjective. You're both entirely right in your respective views.

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    If being currently in F1 is what makes a car worthy, then Porsche is all crap. You said it yourself though, performance is commoditized, so I understand if you were to say Porsche is garbage.

So does Cadillac (GM) throwing their hat in the ring change your viewpoint?

I assume not since you also seek pedigree/tenure.

Is not over 100 years enough then?

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    A C8 is the same as a Civic?

(I admit, I'm a bit confounded)

I mean I sort of get if you said a Mustang is the same as a Challenger as a Camaro.

11. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I meant.... the roads are flooded with some many of each. None of them are special. Just another vette on the road.

JohnnyRay and paulchua like this.
  12. Why is that such a bad thing?

To be honest, a Ferrari, depending on where you live, isn't all that special.

I mean, seriously, if you want to be special and exclusive, get a Pagani or a Bugatti.

I sometimes see more Ferrari's than, say, a Cadillac sedan on the roads.

paulchua likes this.
  13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Ah! gotcha!

Makes sense!

Cheers

14. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    ok here is the good news, and the better news.....

i went to one of the biggest chevy dealers in town this afternoon. had a full tour of the stingray and Z06. interesting cars. not to the level of ferrari in any sense, but still not terrible.
    i signed up for the E-ray.....but at this 5th largest dealership in the USA, i am 34th on the list for that car..... which is sort of good news but i am unlikely to receive one until late '24 at the earliest.
    the better news tho is that i had this epiphany to sign up for the ZR1 while i was in there, and for that i am 4th on the list, which would probably mean delivery in the first production year.....which is likely to be 2025.

what i think will actually happen is that about the time my name gets close to the front of the list for the e-ray, the Zr1 might be getting delivered ...so conceivably some people will get their ZR1 prior to the E-ray.