458 - Ring out the old….bring in the new | FerrariChat

458 Ring out the old….bring in the new

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by wthensler, Feb 2, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I mentioned on this site I planned 100 track days in my 458 spider. Slight change of plans, I’ve decided to retire it from track duty in favor of a 458 Challenge Evo. I have 35 track days last year on nine tracks in the spider and it’s a rock star (that is no joke).

But, for safety reasons and the desire of additional performance on track, decided to up my track game.. Found what appears to be a nice 2015 Challenge Evo and flew out to check it out, and today I swung the mallet.

Looking forward to the experience! The 458 spider will become a ‘normal’ DD, so now it’s three F cars and a Lambo in the stable. I’m good on mid-engine platforms for the time being.

The Challenge Evo will see Road Atlanta later this month if all goes as planned! Forza Ferrari!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

2. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    good for you! I hope you hit the 100 days

wthensler likes this.
  3. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Thank you, I may occasionally run the spider, but the Challenger will be the new go to. As far as the 100 days, we’re soon taking occupancy of The Motor Enclave, so I should have a ton of access to its accompanying track, making it easier to fulfill my goal.

Texas Forever, mdrums and Cigarzman like this.
  4. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Awesome decision! I’m living my car life through you since I don’t track anymore. lol 2023 is going to be a super fun year for you!

Texas Forever and wthensler like this.
  5. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Wow!! So excited for you!! That would be my dream as a 458 Spider and 911 GT3 Touring owner would be to have track-specific versions- Kudos and ENJOY!!!

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I spoke to a lot of folks before deciding and came to the conclusion the 488 is too much car for my needs, at least presently. I’ve run with a bunch of Challenge 458 and 488s at all different tracks and am a bit familiar with their capabilities.

Ya, a dream come true. I was kinda looking forward to 100 days in the spider, but I also started to yearn for something a bit more safe and track focused. I did a bunch of stuff to the spider, none of which really make it a track car. But full assurance, it is a blast on track!

7. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I envy and respect you sir- The tendency to always "move up" to the next road car is tempting but if you truly enjoy tracking and potentially competitive usage that is just not smart- VERY VERY few amateur drivers <WADR> have the talent or $$$ to tune/explore their talents to fully utilize the capabilities of a spec Miata- much less a modern Ferrari road car- Having the sense, ego-check and presence of mind to realize that the combination of a 458 Spider for the road and a Challenge EVO for the track is better than blowing the cumulative amount on the latest/greatest- of which you will use at best 70% it it's capabilities- is a smart decision- is commendable- Cheers :cool:

8. Mercedes_Benz

Mercedes_Benz Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    South Florida
    Congratulations! Great step up! I think I have seen your car before at Sebring, looks familiar.

wthensler likes this.
  9. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Yes. I was there a bunch last year.

I plan to do some of the Chin events at Sebring in 2023 and will have most likely have the Challenge.

Come by and introduce yourself!

Texas Forever and Mercedes_Benz like this.
  10. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    Great to see you taking your track adventures in both safer and faster directions! Have you decided on what support you can get/would like while at the track? I'm thinking specifically about how to improve both car (setup) and driver (what data logger and/or video system is in the Challenge car?).

Enjoy and be safe!

11. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I’ll go with the local track support on track, and I have two independents who can dial in the car and perform all maintenance. The car was in surprisingly good shape and it needs some minor fluid changes and an air filter.

I will use my existing AIM Solo 2 and the car came with a Vic diagnostic tool. There’ll be a learning curve but I’m kinda looking forward to it

I don’t plan to race it, just HPDE fun for now….

schao and Texas Forever like this.
  12. Mercedes_Benz

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    South Florida
    I will keep an eye our for it next time I am there and come say hello!

Last time I was at a Chin event at Sebring one of their instructors slammed into me on turn 7 and totaled my car! Chin staff didn't seem to think much of it and somehow seemed to defend the instructor even though it was all his fault. I have done Chin events for almost 14 years and that was a huge turn off to run with them. (thankfully I was not in a my Ferrari).

13. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Wow, that is an absolute shock, especially from that organization. I’ve done just over a year and know the regulars, but of course they rotate a lot of folks in and out.

Even though we sign wavers, it still shouldn’t have happened. I presume you’re running red as I don’t pass in T7. But yeah, I guess it could’ve been worse.

14. Mercedes_Benz

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    South Florida
    Exactly, we sign waivers, I know the risks, I was not looking for a penny of compensation, just don't defend the guy in the wrong because he is one of "yours". I was shocked how they handled it. I was actually in the blue group when it happened. You can pass anywhere on the track in blue also.

15. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    War stories I know, but running in blue coming up the Esses at VIR last year I posted by a guy in a Clubport GT4. I was over 100 mph just after the bridge and lifted slightly. He passed, and was so eager to get back on line, nearly chopped me to death (literally). Missed me by inches. He was on his checkpoint ride and I only hope he failed, as he deserved to.

16. Mercedes_Benz

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    South Florida
    I hope he failed too! Not all, but many of these guys get fast track focused cars quickly after doing only a few track days and think they have all the experience in the world! Some guys start with cars like that too, (I admit I did) which is totally ok! Just don't be in such a rush to think you are ready to be on your own yet..

Be safe out there! that is a hell of a fun car you'll be driving!

schao and wthensler like this.
  17. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    It's been a while since I've done HPDE, but know Chin and many other DE organizations. The intermediate solo groups have always been the most risky and I'm disappointed to read that car-to-car contact doesn't get reviewed more carefully regardless of driver status. What are the details of the incident at Sebring T7 (DM me if you prefer)? I suspect it always comes down to a driver not being in full control of the car and situation, and taking more risk than is warranted. Sadly, I've been guilty of that too in recent years.

18. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    Let me know when you're at the Motor Enclave (or Sebring) as I wouldn't mind spectating and checking out your car and facilities there.

wthensler likes this.
  19. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    .You betcha. Our building should be ready in a month or so, but the unit inside is just a big open box for now. I’ll be doing fit out thereafter but’ll bring a car or two down in the meantime and will PM you. Track should be opening soon also.

My experience as well with Blue - most accidents and riskiest. We lost a half day at The Glen when someone in blue binned the retaining wall near the bus stop.

I’m kinda new at this but love Chin’s happy hour when all groups run together. Red drivers are far more predictable in signaling their intent and it’s always easier to point them by. And I learn from them…..

schao likes this.