My Challange Stradale story | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My Challange Stradale story

Discussion in '360/430' started by collegeboy, Jan 30, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Very nice! Congrats!
    what’s the advantage of the 430 challenge hubs?

2. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Monoblock wheels with a big nut to hold it down vs 5 bolts

3. brookliner7

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    For a race car perhaps, but I’m not sure how that is an advantage on a road car if you have to carry around an impact gun that can do 443ft/lbs.

4. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Probably wouldn't have to carry it around if the car didn't come with the space saver.

And even then I'm not aware of any space savers that work on a challenge hub so....probably just do what the overwhelming majority of Ferrari owners do and call a flatbed. ;)

5. patina

patina Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
    Lake Norman, NC
    It's nothing but a PITA on a road car.

Mario Andretti and brookliner7 like this.
  6. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    I guess the P car guys know what there doing. Not for everyone. I personally love the look.

7. brookliner7

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Lol, yeah, the P car guys who race their cars.

You race?

8. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    It's actually 550Nm of torque and you can in fact buy a long torque wrench which fits perfectly behind the seats people say it's a pain but I've ran them for years now without really having any issues whatsoever.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

brookliner7 likes this.
  9. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Dont need to race to have a Center lock wheel But I would like to do some HPDE . But there some new tools that make the center lock much easier. Expanding breaker bars and a new tool gun made by HYtorc. That can remove and TQ the wheel that is battery powered. Does any one need 600 HP in the newer modern cars. I'm happy with building cool stuff. Happy motoring

armedferret likes this.
  10. brookliner7

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    For a road going car I still don't understand a practical advantage.

Either way my question was directed for the OP, no one is arguing that you think center locks are cool lol.

11. collegeboy

collegeboy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2007
    Texas and Kaua’i
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    For me it’s the following

1. It’s a mod using all factory Ferrari parts, that I can swap back to stock. Being able to return it back to stock easily is the most important thing to me with all these mods.

2. The wheels are .5” wider front and back. Running 10mm wider tires. Could do 20mm, but I’m good with 10mm for now.

3. Changing the rotor hats to aluminum saves in sprung weight. For me this is kind of related to making it more like a race car. I like that, with how this car was built originally. It feels like a race car already. Anything that can make it feel more like a race car is just awesome to me. And yes, I will track this car occasionally when I have it in the mainland periodically.

4. Looks badass and is unique on a CS while being literally bolt on. Again, for me, this is kind of related to making it more like a race car. I like that, with how this car was built originally. It feels like a race car already. Anything that can make it feel more like a race car is just awesome to me. And yes, I will track this car occasionally when I have it in the mainland periodically.

I don’t feel like it’ll be a problem. I bought a huge Norbar torque wrench just for this job so while it will be a little bit of a pain, I don’t see myself removing and installing the wheels often for the gun of it anyways. Certainly, to each their own.

Kevin Rev'n and brookliner7 like this.
  12. brookliner7

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Great!
    Good look on the project, look forward to progress.
    I might suggest getting enough seat time in it first before doing the swap so you can decide how much of a difference it makes on the road and in the track, subjectively and objectively.

13. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Hey .... congrats... good on you!

but if you think that you will feel on the track the weight saving in *unsprung* weight (yes, not sprung) when swapping rotors you are in for a surprise. you wont. You wont feel any of those mods..
    One more thing..... your car, will be slow on the track compared to people tracking ; say a later generation Corvette, like a C7 Z06.. let's not mention most track prepped cars . A turbocharged Miata will give you trouble on the track. Ask me how I know. Actually, don't ask me. I'll tell you. I track my E92 M3, Shelby GT350R for years now...This year will start with my F430.
    My 2 cents is to enjoy it to what it is , don't change it and keep it stock. It will never be a "race car".
    Good luck!

14. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Also, speaking of track performance, the suspension, while the CS has uprated components and lightened with titanium springs than compared to a 360, its still wildly inadequate for track use.

I’ve got the full CS suspension package and it’s barely better than the standard 360’s suspension.

Track prepped Miata will handle night and day better than a stock CS

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Mario Andretti likes this.
  15. collegeboy

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2007
    Texas and Kaua’i
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    "in sprung" was a typo from my phone. I meant "unsprung". I was just pointing that out as a bonus.

I'm positive that I at my amateur level I will not be able to tell a difference at all. The reason I am doing these few easily reversible mods, including the 430 Challenge hubs and wheels, is because I want to. That's really it. Also, the center lock wheels are simply badass in my eyes. I bought this car to enjoy and mess with some. If I want to go back on the few mods, I always can. I'm not trying to beat anyone on the street. I'm not trying to beat anyone on the track. I'm not trying to impress anyone. I actually have told almost no one I personally know I even bought this thing because I am embarrassed to do so, and people have only found out recently because they've seen me in it and been like "WTF Mike?!" I own this car and am modding it some (tastefully IMO) because of just a simple want to do so. That's it and I'm out with that.

Let's be real too, if I wanted practical for the street or for the track, I absolutely would not have bought this car.

arizonaitalian and brookliner7 like this.
  16. collegeboy

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2007
    Texas and Kaua’i
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    No doubt. Miata's are amazing. I'm not planning on winning. I'm planning on going out and having a good time in a car I am proud to own. I could be passed by everyone on the track and I'll be ok with that.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  17. collegeboy

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2007
    Texas and Kaua’i
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    Thank you!

12 years? Wow. Keep enjoying this wonderful car.

The few mods I am doing are easily reversible if I ever plan on selling it, which I do not.

18. collegeboy

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2007
    Texas and Kaua’i
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    Incredible. What other Ferrari's have you owned?

19. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    275GTB, 330GTC, 365GT, 365GTB/4, 512BB Carb, TR ,308GTB, 308QV, 355GTB, 360, CS, 458, 599.
    I have little interest in the newer models as to me the design has become unimaginative, and the brand has been grossly diluted with ever increasing models and production numbers that to me have deviated away from the driver involvement of earlier cars. Expensive, complex, computer driven rockets. Now even an SUV. I understand the economics of it but look elsewhere for my car fix.

20. brookliner7

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    I get it, I'm all for modifying cars if you enjoy it.
    (You see a lot of people in the Fcar world who do not)
    I understand the satisfaction of making a great car even better, (whether you can feel it or not, sometimes it just feels good knowing)
    Can't wait to see progress!

Mel Spillman likes this.
  21. Doctor Mark

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell

22. Doctor Mark

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    I forgot to add 328GTB probably because it was a forgettable car. Apologies to owners.

collegeboy likes this.
  23. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    For a road going car i don't understand a practical advantage to 986hp from a twin-turbo v8 AND electrical motors, yet i manage to hold my tongue when someone is excited about their new SF90 they just picked up.

it's not difficult to accept different people like different things and refrain oneself from trying to convince them they're wrong for not liking what you do. ;)

collegeboy and clean512 like this.
  24. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    Congratulations on seeing your journey through to the end and getting your dream car. Please do me a favor and don't repeat my mistake by selling it.......ever. lol I've had a dozen or so "exotics" and if I could go back and keep or have any one back again, it'd be my first CS. This one you have was bought with care and diligence on your end, enjoy and keep her. :)

collegeboy and 360trev like this.
  25. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Amen! Lifetime keeper status car

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

collegeboy likes this.