NFL 2022 | Page 24 | FerrariChat

NFL 2022

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tomc, Feb 18, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    #576 Whisky, Feb 6, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    And, the ratings dropoff will be amazing.
    You won't need any more 'star' players because it will be equalized to where few players, positions, matter.

You can expand the NFL by 100 teams because any bunch of guys playing in the local parks can field a team...

That's just it: if there are metrics to what a QB needs to do, Brady is near the top
    in all of them - except the GOOD ability to scramble. And Peyton is worse than Brady in scrambling.
    The thing is, Brady has won with so many different players on the team, and he's only had one real
    legit WR - Randy Moss. I mean a WR the opponents have to game-plan for, the one guy to take away.
    Even Gronk was only around for 4 rings.

I don't think we will see any QB win more than 4 or 5 at most, because today the salary cap matters,
    today most of the really good players are still under their 'first' contract, and if they are GREAT, they
    will want to be PAID, hence why Baltimore has a big problem with Lamar Jackson (and he is NOT
    worth a max contract). This is why 'superteams' like Seattle fell apart, and KC will in 2 years, unless
    a bunch of guys are happy to take less money. Can you even imagine what Burrows' and Herberts'
    next contract will pay them? 70-75 million a year? 250 million guaranteed signing bonus?

And that's another thing that really pissed me off:

The Chargers were ROASTED for having Mike Williams still in the last game of the regular
    season, and he got hurt and missed their playoff game, and they lost.

HOWEVER, SF is ahead of Seattle 38-16 with 10 min left in the 4th quarter, and SF played ALL their
    starters to the very end of the game.
    They had NO reason to have McCaffrey, Kittle, Aiyuk, Deebo, even Purdy in the game, let alone Trent Williams,
    Bosa, etc. not ALL of them still in the game, to the very end. They even used McCaffrey to run out the clock... idiots
    And the media didn't say a freaking word.... final score was 41-23

TheBigEasy likes this.
  2. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Since you bring up big plays in clutch moments, what are your thoughts on this:

The 3 Superbowls that Brady lost (2 to NY Giants and 1 to Philly), in all 3 Brady had the ball with the chance to drive down the field for the winning score. He did not. I can guarantee you that if Joe Montana was in that position, he would have brought his team down the field in all 3 of those games for the winning score. And Montana didn't throw an interception in all 4 of his Superbowls.

There is no doubt that Brady and Montana are the best ever, but the question is if you had one game to win or even the last drive of the game to win, which would you choose? I take Montana.

3. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Montana best sb qb but Brady so far ahead career that he gets nod overall. Brady's only competition is Jordan

4. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Yea.. I mean Montana being 4-0 is tough to argue with.. too bad his team couldn't stay together longer... Brady being 7-10 I just can't see anyone catching... so tough to even get there in the NFL... the salary cap rules don't allow for super teams like NBA.

With Michael Jordan vs LeBron James....... Michael's 6-0 will always beat LeBron's 4-10...... but just imagine if LeBron was 7-10 in NBA Finals (like Brady), he would have without question have eclipsed MJ.

The other layer with Michael Jordan though is the global phenomenon he was.... I credit a lot of that to Phil Knight and Nike though... the marketing package around him took the entirety of the NBA to another level forever.... perfect storm of timing + MJ's ability to win and be a superstar.

I wouldn't say Tom Brady "grew" the NFL in that way though...... the only other player to have such an impact like that on a sport was Tiger Woods (and also with him, Nike a big part of that).

5. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Agree.

6. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I actually disagree with this. Lebron had to join a super team to win with Miami. And MJ is as clutch as Joe Montana. Lebron, earlier at least, seemed to disappear late in the game with the game on the line.

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  7. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Jordan never took time or plays off. And I'd rather have Kobe than LeBron on my team.

LeBron will never be Jordan.

AceMaster and JAM1 like this.
  8. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I think it's important to note that MJ played 15 seasons total... and LeBron is on season 20 and counting... so that pads the stats in the same way that Brady did by playing so long.

But for sure I agree that LeBron will never be Jordan... not even close in terms of "greatest ever".... but LeBron deserves to be considered an all time great for sure:

I agree that LeBron will never be Jordan... not even close in terms of "greatest ever"... I'm not sure anyone could ever be that for all the reasons I talked about in my previous post.

But this is a good argument in terms of LeBron's "clutch-ness":

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  9. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Do any of you think Montanas would be 9-0 if he was in nine SB's?

I know he COULD be, but so could have Brady. He wasn't.
    And I doubt Montana would be 9-0 as well.

How many of you thought Jim Kelly would simple BE in 4 straight SB's? (forget about winning four, or even one...)

(Can we try to leave other sports out of this? If we don't we will start throwing in Schumacher, Lewis, Petty, Mears in the conversation)

10. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Football is just so much more of a team sport than others.... With Offense, Defense, Special Teams, etc.... No one player can play even 50% of the time anyway.

You can be the greatest QB ever created that doesn't make one mistake ever... but you cannot win in the NFL without a good team around you... even Gisele said: "my husband cannot throw the ball and catch the ball at the same time" :D

11. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I know, but some still judge 'great' ONLY by numbers of championships.

Funny how Charles Haley is not the GOAT Linebacker.....

TheBigEasy likes this.
  12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Wanna see some real football?

Top Ten Earl Campbell Plays of All Time

13. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Sure - where is it?

PS - and Earl can barely walk these days. His running back then makes Derrick Henry today look like a child.

14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I once saw OJ get off an elevator in Houston. He could barely walk.

15. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    #590 Whisky, Feb 7, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
    It's easy for me to say this, but I think once I make (NET) about 3 million, I'm done.
    And the more the better, once I play 5 years, I'd 'probably' be out.
    But I am also THE most frugal person you will ever meet.
    I'm not 'cheap', just VERY selective where I put/spend my money....

In the last 6 months I spent $65 on one thing - and got a refund on it.
    Aside from that, I've only spent on food, and tires for my car.
    Because I already have everything I could dream of, am willing to spend on.

16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  17. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    So Idaho and Wyoming don’t watch nfl?

Also, if I was NFL I’d ban 2 team cities. Make the chargers and jets move…. Lots of top metro cities without a team

18. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Just looking at all 32 teams against a population list... just for fun... I would change:
    • move Chargers back to San Diego (screw the Spanos family)
    • move Rams back to St. Louis
    • move Jets to Los Angeles ("Jets" brand seems to fit LA better, and don't need 2 NYC teams)
    • skip Riverside... that's just east Los Angeles
    • skip Orlando... FL has enough teams
    • skip San Antonio... TX has enough teams
    • skip Sacramento... CA has enough teams
    • skip Austin... TX has enough teams
    • leave the Saints alone even though New Orleans is 47th on population list
    • leave the Bills alone even though Buffalo is 49th on the population list
    • rename the Houston Texans to the Oilers (screw Bud Adams, but leave Titans in Tennessee)
    Then to get some more balance for the west coast.... I'd put teams in Portland and Salt Lake City (like the NBA has)
    • move the Browns to Portland & rebrand... don't need 2 Ohio teams and "Browns" is a terrible name
    • move the Packers to Salt Lake City (the blasphemy!)... but Green Bay is 158th on the population list

Image Unavailable, Please Login

SCantera and Texas Forever like this.
  19. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Las Vegas is an anomaly when it comes to population. Yes it has 2.2 million but it has 43 million visitors, 40% of those from CA. Vegas has LA and San Diego in their backyard and the Raiders are popular in both cities. Plus a lot of fans from CA, NY and CO come to watch their teams play and have a Vegas vacation in Winter.

Its not typical.

TheBigEasy likes this.
  20. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Yes Vegas a much better fit for Raiders than Oakland was. And that new stadium is awesome. Nobody does hospitality like Vegas.

Plus with the 49ers there I think 2-team cities is a waste of a market.

Chargers sharing LA is dumb…. And Jets sharing NYC is dumb.

TheMayor likes this.
  21. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    #596 Whisky, Feb 8, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
    Just looking at all the teams... just for fun... I would change:
    • move Chargers back to San Diego (screw the Spanos family)
    • move the Cardinals back to St. Louis
    • move the Raiders back to Oakland
    • move the Colts back to Baltimore
    • rename the Houston Texans back to the Oilers (screw the Adams family, but leave Titans in Tennessee)
    • Put/relocate a team in Phoenix (Today's Jacksonville?)
    • Put/relocate a team in Indianapolis (Today's Baltimore?)
    • Put a new team in Las Vegas
    • Put a new second team in LA - because the only way that stadium will survive is with two teams.
    • Starting any other new teams is an extreme reach, such as Portland, Toronto, etc.
    Population doesn't matter - KC and LV have a HUGE fan following, and we won't even get into Green Bay.
    You can't FIND a reasonably priced ticket to an LV game, and you can't even GIVE tickets away to Jets games,
    and now that Jax is 'better' they will see many more fans attending.

My guess is you won't be able to give away tickets to TB games this coming season, too.
    Look at LA the first 2-3 years the Chargers were there - they could not sell out the small college stadium
    they played in. They played the Steelers there and Pittsburgh had more fans there than the Chargers did...

Oh - and as far as Idaho not having a team following - from what I have seen when I have been there lately,
    it's the Dallas Cowboys - because Dallas' LB Leighton Vander Esch is from Idaho and played at Boise State.

Paging Aaron Rodgers - TB needs a new QB....

22. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I'd love to see Aaron end up with the Raiders... that would be fun

Tampa Bay? Maybe Derek Carr or Baker Mayfield or Jimmy G

23. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I'd be very surprised if Mark Davis spends the money.
    He already doesn't want Josh Jacobs, who else will he deal?
    Beyond that, he doesn't have the Cap Space for Rodgers.

I don't see Baker going anywhere, nobody will want to spend the $$$ he THINKS he is worth.

Also remember: AZ will need a QB for 2023, and we are not sure Stafford will be back, and Indy needs a QB too.
    The next concussion will be the end of Tua in Miami... and Atlanta isn't sold on Ridder...

This will give you a good idea of what teams can do what:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

PS - my earlier post - TB could not afford Rodgers even if they wanted him, not without
    dumping at least six GOOD starters, and then they will really suck.

TheBigEasy likes this.
  24. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
  25. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Funny how 3 of the bottom 4 teams in 2022 home attendance are NFC East teams.
    And if you say 'but they only had 8 home games', go take a look at 1st, 3rd and 5th...

Image Unavailable, Please Login