Change up/down two gears | FerrariChat

Change up/down two gears

Discussion in '360/430' started by P1key, Feb 4, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. P1key

P1key Karting

Nov 9, 2022
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pike
    I saw a video online discussing the 360 F1 gearbox and describing how you can 'double click' either paddle to change up or down two gears instead of the usual one. There doesn't seem to be any mention of this in the user manual (in fact the opposite - advised against giving a second gear change request while the car is already changing gear) but I tried it today and the car did indeed seem to change from 3rd to 5th or vice versa if I pulled the paddle twice in quick succession.

Question is - is it really doing this, or is it just changing 3rd - 4th - 5th really fast? And does anyone else use this 'function'? :)

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I don't know. But there is such a function in the F1 system as "gear requested." It is entirely possible for the TCU to know that you are requesting 5th gear by two quick activations of the paddle and shift into that gear instead of 4th gear.

But, I don't know.

3. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I do this on f430, seems to work doing 2 gears no more, as to do 3 clicks its already got the 2nd gear request LOL

4. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    On occasion, I double-downshift my 430, and as far as I can tell, it does go directly to the requested gear rather than execute two separate shifts. At least, it really seems to be a single clutch engagement (which is observable). It’s really not possible to tell what’s happening in the gear selection part of the process.

So, whether it’s:
    Clutch open - 5->3 - clutch closed

Or:
    Clutch open - 5->4 - 4->3 - clutch closed

…can’t really tell.

5. P1key

P1key Karting

Nov 9, 2022
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pike
    If it is a real thing (which it sounds like it is), it could be quite a useful function eg for overtaking. I just find it strange it's not described in the manual anywhere, unless I missed it :)

6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I don't know for sure but probing or using a diag tool (not sure if sampling rate is fast enough) to see if the EV valve that shouldn't be activated in a certain shift should give us the answer

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

7. SpecJunkie

SpecJunkie Karting

Dec 8, 2020
    London
    AFAIK the F1 system can’t skip gears like that. When you double tap the paddle like so; what it’s actually doing is shifting from 5th-4th-3rd in very quick succession.

8. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That's how I understood it. I've occasionally accidentally pulled the up paddle twice, when changing up at high revs, selected say 4th instead of 3rd, and thought I'd broken the car!

9. collegeboy

collegeboy Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2007
    Texas and Kauai
    Full Name:
    Mikey
    I just thought about this yesterday on the CS, but that makes me nervous. Haha.

10. bigsquat

bigsquat Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2013
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I do this in my CS and before that a 599 and 360 and you can only feel the last gear being grabbed so if it stops at the first one it goes in and out imperceptibly fast.

Rifledriver likes this.
  11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It begins the shift and goes ahead and aborts that and goes to the next gear. When I am at low RPM and in a high gear and need quick acceleration I plant my right foot and continuously click the downshift paddle until it gets to the lowest gear possible for that speed. Can be 3 or 4 gears very rapidly. Works fine. I have been doing that since the early 355 F1's . Never once been an issue in any car.

imahorse and JaguarXJ6 like this.
  12. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Depends if u consider an engagement of clutch or not part of a shift

Its possible it selects 1 gear but moves to next before clutch engages

13. P1key

P1key Karting

Nov 9, 2022
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pike
    It definitely only put the clutch in once, and then let it out once, its what happened inbetween that I'm not sure of. I definitely didnt see '4' on the display when I double clicked to go down from 5th to 3rd, nor when going back up two gear from 3rd to 5th, however I dont think the display updates very fast.

I think all I wanted was a little piece of mind that other people do this without causing the gearbox to explode. Thanks :)

14. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It wont explode

The beauty of f1 box or smg is that is doesnt allow stupid things to happen lol

Although i know in smg cars (bmw), if you sit at a stop without foot on brake for long enough then go foward it bangs the clutch in like youve been rearended
    It used the release of brake pedal as a cue that the clutch is to be engaged when throttle is applied
    Somehow they didnt take into consideration rolling speed and its a glitch i think

15. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It is technically a single action as the TCU recognises the multiple clicks.

The F430 can block change two gears at once and the Scuderia three.

The actuator doesn't need to go through all gears in sequence: there is a void in the centre of the gear fingers which means that the actuator can travel between any two gears.

The other way to block change is to hold the down or up pedal; the TCU will change to the lowest or highest gear respectively that is available for the current road speed.

16. P1key

P1key Karting

Nov 9, 2022
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pike
    I tried holding the paddle also, that didnt do anything other than change one gear, perhaps thats only a later TCU / 430 feature?