Diablo Owners? | FerrariChat

Diablo Owners?

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by JohnMH, Feb 19, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I am a Countach guy, but recently acquired an early Diablo in need of a little care.

Neat car, it reflects some ‘fixes’ for Countach issues, but seems to have created a small number of its own issues too.

Any other Diablo people on the site? Any general advice? The car needs a few things, but so far, nothing too hard to find.

2. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    What year/model Diablo?

3. Schwafu

Schwafu Karting

Feb 12, 2023
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Schwafu
    I am a Diablo guy, too! :)

4. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
  5. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Get shop manuals to help ID part numbers

Obtaining tires in 17" wheels is really tough, plan to upgrade to 18" (situation is slightly better....but I crossed myself a bunch of times when I found a set last Summer).

Many parts are shared with Ferraris and Alfas of the time...there are specialty parts guys in Europe who can ID them. Early Murcielago parts can also sometimes work.....so they CAN serve a useful role after all :)

Don't know about early cars, but on late model cars a clutch throw out bearing sitting on your shelf is like gold.

On a '95 or later replace the clutch rod with a Custer style one.

6. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Car is a 92 out of Japan, but originally sold in Germany (EU spec). Runs terrifyingly well, if you are used to driving a stock 91 Testarossa. Has no cats and a Power Craft exhaust out of Japan. Far too loud to be registered anywhere. Some work required here.

I looked at the parts fiche on the 92, the clutch actuation rod seems simple, not like the oddly bent rod I think comes on later cars? Do early cars have the same clutch actuation rod issues?

Clutch bites and feels ok, but pedal travel is oddly really short. Normal? Easier to maneuver a Diablo than a Countach. Good windows and mirrors (a back up camera would be awesome).

Are OEM tires really that hard to get? Expensive, for sure. The PO put larger rims on (20 inch wheels in the rear!) which look stunningly awful, but comes with lots of rubber options. Looks aside, I am not sure if the car will work as well as originally intended with them. What are good wheel options? 18 inch?

The original Konis did not come with the car, but the PO installed a Japanese make of shock which has a pneumatic lift feature on the front. The shocks look quite trick, adjustable coilers with compression and rebound clickers. Will see how they work.

What kind of early Murcielago bits fit? Do Murcielago wheels fit?

What's the deal with the fragile shaft connecting the gearbox to the differential (if I got that right)? And the hydraulic cam chain tensioner update? Do the heads have to come off to upgrade the cam chain tensioners to mechanical? Any way to easily tell if the work has been done?

Thanks to all.

RossoC360 likes this.
  7. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Forgot to mention, it is 2wd as well.

I have only ever driven one Diablo briefly, a friend’s SE30 about 15 years ago. From memory, after driving it back to back with my LP400S, they felt like a (very large and fast) Mercedes and a motorcycle in comparison to each other.

8. That driveshaft is indeed weak if abused. A friend has a 91 that the shaft broke. I worked on the car a bit, we put valve stem seals etc in it. It just sits. Engine is still out a decade later. I don't think the heads have to come off to upgrade the tensioners. I bug him ever so often to get back on it. Someday.

9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yes, tires are that hard to get in 17” and 18”. I finally kicked Pirelli to the curb after a couple of years waiting. Yes , early Murcielago wheels like the Hercules can fit, although you can see I wanted to add the best looking Lamborghini wheels ever imo.

Nice to see a little Diablo content here…..normally one would think Lamborghini went out of business in 1989.

islerodreaming and Spyder-Man like this.
  10. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Now I am looking for Murcie wheels. I suspect more tire options.

Yes, I too know of a Diablo with the engine out, which has been sitting for a decade. I would have bought that one but this one runs well and is probably a better choice.

I do not think I have figured out the seats yet (or maybe the PO rigged something as he may have been a short guy). My LP5000S seems roomier behind the wheel.

11. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

You would be better off buying the wheels that were on my Momo when I bought it (18"). Would sell for half of those ebay wheels above.

12. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I think I will look for some oem Murcielago wheels. Up to 2006 should fit I suspect.

More tire options available I understand.

13. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Boomhauer likes this.
  14. Andrew in AZ

Andrew in AZ Rookie

Jun 24, 2007
    Scottsdale
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    ^^^ Yikes. Poor thing is right.

Boomhauer likes this.
  15. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Hi John,

The heads do not have to be removed to upgrade the chain tensioners to the SE30 manual style. There is an inspection cover you can remove to see which tensioners the car is currently fitted with. As far as tires for the OE 17" wheels, I would hope that Pirelli is planning on doing another run of them soon.

16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    The discussion I had with Pirelli a year ago on the 18” wheels was they were never going to make fronts again and it would be quite awhile on rears. So when I went to buy Continentals, I had the buy one size up in the front (245s) which are still OK for the VTs. No one makes the fronts anymore that I know of.

Because the same situation is occurring in my Ford GT rears, I’m probably going to buy full sets every 3 years for each car and store them.

RossoC360 and kane00 like this.
  17. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    https://www.continental-tires.com/car/tire-knowledge/tire-care-maintenance/storing-tires

18. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Looked up and found:

FORD GT 2005
    ORIGINAL SIZES:

235/45 -18
    315/40 -19

# # #

suitable replacement:

Fronts are: 265/40ZR-18 BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE050A N1 (PORSCHE)
    Rears are: 345/35R-19 BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE050A SCUDERIA

https://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/threads/bridgestone-potenza-replacement-tire-size-for-05-06-fgt.37317/

# # #

FRONTS:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE050A&partnum=64YR8RE050XLN1&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

REARS:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE050A+Scuderia&partnum=435ZR9RE050A&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Fronts are spot on for speedo, rears are a little off, but not much, on the forum link one person says they are on their 3rd set of these...

Shark01 likes this.
  19. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Longstone in the UK has original Pirelli rears. I asked about the fronts (shown as out of stock) but am still awaiting a reply. My friends in Italy suggest they can get Diablo tires in original sizes. I await confirmation.

Looks like Murcielago wheels may be the best option. Or I just refinish what I have, but I must assume a 20 inch rear wheel would mess up the feel of the car. It is amazing that I can get Countach tires when I need them, but Diablo tires represent such an issue.

Boomhauer likes this.
  20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Correct, the Bridgestones is what I bought last year and what FGT owners are getting. The issue with them is that they have not been continuously available, there is a while between batches.

JTSE30 likes this.
  21. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Next Diablo issue. When I turn the key to position 1 with the engine cold, both rad fans switch on. I will check all the wiring, but I suspect it could be the coolant temp sensor. The manual says the fans are controlled by a thermo sensor on the left radiator, does anyone know of an equivalent before I order one online. No way the OEM part is in the dealer's stock here in Dubai. Part number is 00172565/B.

22. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    John, those sensors are ground driven, if you didn't already try to clean the connectors, perhaps corroded.

23. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Thanks, will try that tomorrow.

What's the easiest way to get to the radiators on a Diablo? Wheel well, underneath or engine bay? Or do I remove the panel above the muffler? The packaging on this car is interesting.

24. Schwafu

Schwafu Karting

Feb 12, 2023
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Schwafu
    You have to remove the muffler to have space. Than pull the radiator in direction (where the muffler sit)... Its a but of PITA, because the air ducts are quite close, so you have to make sure that you don´t touch the cooler net...also there will be a lot of water on the ground...

F456M likes this.