Turbo Buick, still the one. | FerrariChat

Turbo Buick, still the one.

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Michael B, Feb 20, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I was out in my Grand National the other day... Without fail this car brings the heat. No gas stop is complete without questions from loads of people, no stop light is ever not a drag race, not one drive is un-eventful.

I think it is my most popular car in my pack, and could very well be the most fun.

The market for them is as strong as ever, but I can't imagine not owning one.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The eighties were rad.

2. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Super cool cars

Michael B likes this.
  3. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    rob, thecarreaper, Ryan S. and 2 others like this.
  4. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That is so super cool. To think that even then (1985) you knew it was special & documented it. I approve.

Here is my 1986 the day I took delivery November 14th 1985:

That is my Mothers Mercedes SL next to it (I still have). We stopped at a restaurant on the way home from her taking me to the Buick dealer.

5. USMMA90

USMMA90 Rookie

Mar 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Great Looking car, still love them today!!! In 1987 my dad and I walked into small hometown Buick dealer, they had 2 cars on the showroom floor for similar money, a 1987 Grand National, and a 1987 Buick Lesabre coupe. I tried so hard to talk my dad into the GN, but we had previously had a Regal “with the same dashboard” and he wanted something different, so he bought the LeSabre. I bring this story up to him every 3-5 years to point out a life of car mistakes he has made (passed on a 1967 big block Corvette in 1980 for peanuts, etc) ……LOL

6. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I like them a lot. Had a couple in the 90's. Still keeping an eye out for a super nice 87 Limited.

7. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Those GN's are awesome cars! We have a couple of them down here in the Columbus, GA area. One is a high mileage daily driver, I think the owner is in his 70s, and the other a a 12k mile all original cream puff I saw downtown a few weeks ago. My wife just tolerates my freak-outs every time I spot a GN....just love 'em.

JTSE30 likes this.
  8. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Love the GN! Thanks for sharing!

Michael B likes this.
  9. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    rob, Nativetroy, Tenney and 3 others like this.
  10. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Those were great cars. I played with a GN.

11. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    When I was a teenager, I wrecked (just slightly bent) our Toyota Corolla so my mother traded it in on a brand new 1974 Buick 455 Gran Sport, white interior on red. She was too chicken to drive it anywhere so it became more or less my first car. My mother was insane for getting a new driver a car like that. I guess it was a way to get even with my Dad as he had to pay for a new car every two years. Oddly, I never wrecked that one. It forced me to be a much more careful driver, especially in the snow. Heavy front, light rear, inexperienced driver. I had a blast. I remember one time skidding across a parking lot covered in ice having fun and heading for a light pole. Nothing changed my direction so I put the car in reverse and let those spiked rear tires spin. Stopped me quicker than snot!

JTSE30 likes this.
  12. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I had an '87 for a decade, such a great car.
    But nobody knew what it was, nine times out of ten it was confused as a Monte Carlo and countless scoffs for it being a V6. lol

13. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Yes when they first hit the streets I fell victim to the same. (nobody knew what it was) Or at least my friends and I didn't.

And compared to a 305 Monte Carlo SS or 307 Olds 442? Absolute boat anchors.

At the time I had a Phoenix (pontiac nova) with a decent cammed/etc small block chevy and won many races until I encountered my first turbo buick.

We negotiated the race, drive out and coast down to the "starting" line and stop.

He calmly looks over and waves me on. What? -No one- has ever done that. He says again "just go" as he gestures ahead waving.

I was surprised by his confidence.... which quickly turned my initial feelings of underestimating his car...... to knowing I was about to lose.

And I did.

I launched as well as my car always did and didn't make it out of first gear before the Buick passed me and proceeded to put several lengths on me.

Never did I underestimate a turbo buick again. Inspired, I bought a few myself and years later finally won a street race against the same person I lost to years back at the same exact spot.

Him in an 89 Turbo T/A and me in a naturally aspirated stick shift 4th gen.

Settling the score was bittersweet as I left that race not with satisfaction but with the feeling I still wanted a turbo buick of my own. :)

carguy likes this.