EMPTY AND MODIFY THE ORIGINAL MUFFLER 308 EURO QV AND 328 | FerrariChat

EMPTY AND MODIFY THE ORIGINAL MUFFLER 308 EURO QV AND 328

Discussion in '308/328' started by Jean66, Feb 26, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jean66

Jean66 Rookie

May 29, 2014
    France
    Hello the FERRARICHAT team,

I introduce myself, Jean from France, owner of a 308 GTB EURO QV 1985.
    I use Google translate to write here :D

I open this topic, because these decided, I will commit a sacrilege!!

I'm going to open my original muffler in good condition, and empty it!!

Why, because for the moment the current madness that I have on my beautiful, custom-made by a Belgian craftsman for the 4 racing group, certainly sounds crazy, but very very strong:p

So the idea is to do what I was doing successfully on my 911, emptying the banana with a very satisfying result!.

The idea, a good purr in slow motion, a muffled sound that looks like a highway and a howl in the towers.
    I'm going to do this with a friend who welds very well.

I put you photos of what I found on the net, in parties on Ferrari chat or I will open the same topic? ;)thank you to the authors and my silencer lying around in a corner of my garage.

The trick is simple, once opened and empty, what do I do? IF A MOTORIST WITH TOP SILENCER KNOWLEDGE IS HERE HE AND WELCOME!

I thus made a draft in red of what I envisage, because according to my first information the best output concerning the engine V8 FERRARI of the QV, the top would be to SEPARATE THE 2 BENCHES, from where the idea of close the middle and cut the outlet tubes as short as possible to facilitate the evacuation of gases.

You will notice that at the time we were really looking to make less noise, to muffle the resonances, to the detriment of the performance of the silencer..

Finally, I will go back to the original look if I validate this modification!

In short, I WAIT FOR YOUR FEEDBACK AND ADVISE FOR THE INTERIOR CHANGES, to follow and GAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ:D

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Always difficult to discuss this as one person's "too loud" is another person's "too quiet" ;). IMO, your proposal is going to be very loud in all modes because (compared to stock) you've gone from many expansions, many turns, and many passes thru restrictive perforated areas to 1 expansion and 1 turn (essentially very little attenuation). However, if you've already got an aftermarket (Tubi?) silencer on it (like in your last photo) and that's not loud enough for you, you're going in the right direction.

Thomas Magnum and waymar like this.
  3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    My guess also, but I'm not sure I understand Jean correctly. So I'm asking him, and doubling in French translation:

Jean, do you intend to have MORE noise than what you have now with the "Tubi" with your mods of the original exhaust, or LESS?
    Because considering what you are describing, your best bet is that you will have more noise than with the Tubi in the end...I'm leaving aside the question of secondary resonance, which is difficult to anticipate)

(Jean, tu espères finir avec PLUS de bruit qu'avec ton "Tubi" actuel en modifiant ton échappement d'origine, ou moins? Parce que vu ce que tu décris, le résultat probable est que tu finisses avec plus de bruit qu'avec le "Tubi" - je laisse de côté le problème des résonnances secondaires, qui est toujours difficile à anticiper)

Rgds

Nerofer, alias Speedy.

Jean66 likes this.
  4. Jean66

Jean66 Rookie

May 29, 2014
    France
    Merci de vos réponses, et la traduction en Français. j'ai des collecteurs Tubi, en photos

le silencieux et une version de course groupe 4 artisanal, celui de la photo, ce n'est pas un Tubi !, il fait ÉNORMÉMENT de bruit, j'adore ça !

Mais les gens que j'emmène n'aime pas, et les forces de l'ordre non pluso_O

J'aimerais avoir un son fort, mais qui est correct à la vitesse de croisière de 130, 140 Km/h

Du coup j'ai l'idée de modifier mon silencieux d'origine pour m'amuser et pour avoir moins de bruit, surtout vers 130 km/h ..ou il résonne.

Je vous mets 2 petits fichiers audios, je n'ai pas d'autre enregistrement, mais j'ai prévu d'en faire.

Merci à vous.

Thank you for your answers, and the French translation. I have Tubi collectors, in photos
    the muffler and a homemade group 4 racing version, the one in the picture, it's not a Tubi!, it makes a LOT of noise, I love it!
    But the people I take don't like it, and neither do the police.o_O
    I would like to have a loud sound, but that is correct at a cruising speed of 130, 140 Km/h
    So I have the idea to modify my original silencer for fun and to have less noise, especially around 130 km/h .. where it resonates.
    I put you 2 small audio files, I have no other recording, but I planned to make some.
    Thank you.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Jean66

Jean66 Rookie

May 29, 2014
    France
  6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I'd guess that your proposed design would be very similar to that or even louder. My suggestion for what you want would be to go back to the stock internal structure (more bends, more chambers, more pipes) and then start cutting out the perforated areas to be open areas -- just a thought...

Jean66 likes this.
  7. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    The very best exhaust set up for a 3x8 is the stock euro or after market true dual exhaust headers , not like the US models, and a Tubi muffler. I have a Tubi and a Larini test pipe,and my car sounds perfect at low and high RPMs, I wish I had the euro header set up, but mine is perfectly ok. Destroying the stock exhaust, if thats what your doing , is pointless in my estimation. Trying to achieve anything other than the period correct sound for these cars is going to be ridiculous. If one wants the sound of a 355, then one should buy a 355.

Big G

Jean66 likes this.
  8. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    That car sounds like ****...

Big G

9. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
  10. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    This set up, it looks nice, BUT IT SOUNDS DISGUSTING !!!

11. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    This is how a 3x8 should sound !!

Jean66 likes this.
  12. Jean66

Jean66 Rookie

May 29, 2014
    France

13. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    The police in Germany and Belgium loves cars like this. It will bring more money in fines and even confiscating of your car. I believe in France its likewise....

La police en Allemagne et en Belgique adore les voitures comme celle-ci. Cela rapportera plus amendes en billets et même en confisquant votre voiture. Je crois qu'en France c'est pareil....

:p

14. Dockboy

Dockboy Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2013
    Maryland
    I have a Euro GT4 muffler on my '77 308 GTB. Had a rattle in the muffler so I cut it open to figure it out. Found a broken off perforated 180* piece and a hole melted through the bulked that separates the 2 sides. There was also deteriorated fiberglass packing in it. I welded the 180, repaired the bulkhead, and removed the fiberglass.

Definitely a "throatier" sound than before but not too loud IMO. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #16 nerofer, Feb 27, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2023
    No, not yet; theoretically yes, according to the law, but not strictly enforced...yet; that will come, probably. Some cities, or quiet places in the country, have installed "decibels recorders"...
    Non, pas encore; en théorie, oui, selon la Loi; mais pas appliqué de façon rigoureuse...pour le moment; ça va probablement venir: certaines villes, ou endroits de la campagne tranquille, ont mis en place des "analyseurs de décibels"...

All cars have been certified when new to a certain level of noise, usually at 5.000 rpm.
    Toutes les voitures neuves sont certifiées avec leur niveau de bruit mesuré à 5.000 trs/mn.

This is why all aftermarket exhaust manufacturers nowadays say that their products are not respecting the noise legislation, meaning if you get "into trouble", they could not be held responsible.
    C'est la raison pour laquelle tous les fabricants d'échappements "aftermarket" dégagent leur responsablité en disant que leurs produits ne respectent pas les Lois sur le bruit - ne sont pas homologués - si on a "des ennuis", leur responsabilité ne peut pas être mise en cause.

Rgds

Jean66 likes this.
  16. Jean66

Jean66 Rookie

May 29, 2014
    France

17. Jean66

Jean66 Rookie

May 29, 2014
    France
    I plan 2 drafts, the first, the simplest, I keep the length of the tubes at the inlet, the flow breaks out on the central sheet which will be in place to separate the 2 benches, and it comes out as it can through the outlets, which they will have the shorter tubes inside.

The 2nd, I'm more in the reflection of what I was doing on my Porsche bananas, the flow arrives in front of an oblique, turns and bars, which involves putting 90° elbows with a cut towards there or having sendings. (drawings to come)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Jean66

Jean66 Rookie

May 29, 2014
    France
  19. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO