Auto Dealer in STL - Red Flags | FerrariChat

Auto Dealer in STL - Red Flags

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ccantrell, Mar 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ccantrell

ccantrell Karting

Feb 23, 2004
    Crossville, IL
    Full Name:
    Chris Cantrell
    Hi,

I am in the process of buying my first Ferrari :) Can't wait!!

I am sure each one of you have been in my situation and tried not let your emotions affect your buying decision. I have been talking to a dealer in STL (I will post name if someone tells me it is appropriate) and have gotten some very interesting comments. They have a 96 355B, 1 owner car. It looks to have all the service records (dealer in NE) which is what I would like to have. They want ~70K for the car with 26K miles which seems to be a very good price. After speaking to a number of independant service tech's and two authorized dealer service departments, they recommend getting a compression test and leak down test for 95 - 97 since they have had valve guide issues in certain engines. When I contacted the dealer, I wanted a pre-buy inspection and I thought the guy was going to blow a gasket. "There is no way our car is going to another dealer. Are you crazy? We are a top end dealer and all of our cars are perfect. This is an insult." I was totally taken. I told him I am trying to make a sound investment. He continued to tell me they are a great dealer and they don't sell bad cars. In the end, his statement to me was "IF you want to buy the car, then it will be on our terms, not yours. Take it or leave it". In the number of times I have spoken to me, it does not seem they car to help make the buyer feel good about the deal.

My better judgement tells me do run and not do business with anyone like this no matter what the deal $$ is.

I guess this message was for two reasons: 1) to just vent on my experience which I would have never had dreamed in a million years. Come on, who is spending the money and what ever happened to customer service!!

But second, and more importantly, I am very interested in more information about the valve guide issue. Big concern on any car, have it tested, etc????? I don't want to end up going to a shop for 20K to fix an issue after I buy a car. Thouhgts?

Thanks as always for anyone's input!!!!
    -chris

2. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Trust your gut instinct.

No PPI, no purchase.

3. bloke

bloke Rookie

Jan 10, 2004
    It isnt 7 grand. We talking about alot of money. So, why can the buyer do a PPI. Tell them, you will buy the car if they will cover all cost if something goes wrong. See, what he has to say then.

But, you are right. Just move on.

4. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    easy decision here, chris.....
    while their asking price is reasonable, it's not "cheap" enough that you can afford to throw an extra 10K in to cover unexpected repair.

ps: this is a black 355b that was on ebay last week, correct?

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Chris, FOH has a 95 355B "A very nice Berlinetta that has been meticulously maintained. Recent top-end rebuild by Ferrari of Houston, with stainless steel valve guides, timing belts service, new clutch, new headers, new catalytic converters. Ferrari Certified with one-year limited warranty."

I believe that they are asking $75k. This is for a 9-year old car with a warranty!

http://www.ferrariofhouston.com/car_details.asp?cid=2

If it were me, I'd pay the $5k extra for a car rebuilt by FOH backed by a FNA warranty.

DrTax

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I have strong connections to extreme high-end dealers in St. Louis. PM me the dealer name, and I'll get you some background info for you.

-Daniel

7. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Sounds to me like any dealer that balks at having their car inspected is afraid to have it inspected. There are plenty of F355's to pick from. Be patient - you'll find the perfect one.

8. ccantrell

ccantrell Karting

Feb 23, 2004
    Crossville, IL
    Full Name:
    Chris Cantrell
    They did list it on ebay and that is where I did find it and it might still be there.

9. Exoticbro

Exoticbro Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    St.Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Chuck Ligon
    Hello Chris,

I know the dealer you are talking about, as I live in St. Louis
    A few months back another member of this board who lives in Kansas city was looking at a 77 GTB at this dealer. He was told the same thing.
    I offered to go look at the car for him (this was being offered as a courtesy, I expected nothing in return). I believe it is possible another member of this board did stop in and look at the car I do not remember.

I also called and talked with the dealer to see if I could help arrange a PPI,
    as I know a few of the local shops, I was told the same as you NO WAY.
    I was told the same as the gentleman in KC and you seem to have been told
    the same also (at least they are consistent).

please feel free to call me at 636-273-6774

Thanks, Chuck

10. ccantrell

ccantrell Karting

Feb 23, 2004
    Crossville, IL
    Full Name:
    Chris Cantrell
    Thanks!! I did speak with Joe earlier this week. Sounds like a good deal. Consignment though and no warrently is included in that price. I am focusing on this car more now. I guess I have to decide red or black. I live in CO and red would be much nicer!

BR,
    -chris

11. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Just found the auction. I'm familiar with the dealer. All I can say is, "trust your instinct". Whether it's a good price or not, it's still 70K -- which is a lot of money, no matter how you count it. Get the car you're comfortable with & pay a decent, fair price to a dealer you like & trust.

Whether it's a Ferrari or a Kia, make sure you're comfortable with the dealer or else you'll always question/doubt the car.

12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'll be happy to call Joe for you. He owes me a favor, whether he wants to admit it or not.

BTW, go to Pebble Beach this Summer. You will see so many red Ferraris that you will never buy a red one, ha!

Dr "Wearing Dark Sunglasses" Tax

13. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Your altruism reminded me of how many wonderful folks are in this community. It's truly great to see....

Tom,

14. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Ha! Do you what is funny. I have actually been looking at this car myself... This is from a guy who just brought a 2002 Yellow Porsche TT, and who has a Maranello, and who has an E55 AND a 2001 Porsche C4 that he needs to sell. I am one sick puppy...

Hi, My name is DrTax, and I have a serious jones. I want to drive every cool car that I see.

You know, lately, I have been identifying with Slim Perkins in Dr Strangelove. You know, the last scene where he rides that A-Bomb all the way in, while spanking his monkey... What a way to go.

15. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    You guys are working way to hard to protect this dealer's name.
    The old days are gone, if a dealer acts like a bully and say stupid things like-
    "no test drive" or "no PPI" and tries to make you feel like a jerk. That dealer has just bought himself a
    E-ticket to getting him name posted on ever car web site you visit. Buyers now have a voice, I love the web.

Reminds me of a great Chris Rock joke-
    Its like finding a beta max.... they still make people like you?

16. Tom Larkins

Tom Larkins Formula Junior

Ditto that!

Save someone else the time and frustration of having to deal w/smucks like that. Thats just plain crazy not letting you do a PPI. Let him know your posting his remarks and dealer protical on this site so you can be straight forward w/o going behind his back, that way he can come here and explain himself!!!

Hard to find a warranty 355, go for the black one @ FOH

17. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Not the best feedback I have ever seen on ebay either - I would be a little worried.

I have never heard of anyone refusing a PPI. I would be nervous.

18. rossofiorano355

rossofiorano355 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    NOLA - Bham
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Do not consider this car in your search - trust your gut. Many great examples out there, keep looking.

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I had a dealer tell me once "Get on..... or get off!" LOL!
    That pretty well sums it up, in a visually graphic kind of way.

He was joking though, just trying to press the sale.

He was pretty funny, also:

"You know why all Ferraris are low mileage????

"No, why?"

"Because they don't run long enough to get to be high mileage!"

I told him not to say things like that, as he takes a young kid's life savings.

Back on topic, it appears that car at FoH HAS had all issues addressed.
    Valves, headers, etc.

20. ccantrell

ccantrell Karting

Feb 23, 2004
    Crossville, IL
    Full Name:
    Chris Cantrell
    Being new on the forum, I just did not know if it was appropriate or not. You have to love the web for allowing buyers to share this type of information. Just too bad ebay won't let you add comments to paid dealers using them as a ad tool for $40.00. Anyway, this is their website. For the past week, the picture links don't even works - concerned about their image .. I guess not.

http://www.schmittmotorcars.com/

I have decided to move on. Their lost to the wonderful Ferrari community we have here. It is amazing all the wonderful people I have met and spoke to just researching for the right car! Thanks!
    -chris

21. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Chris,
    Where are you in Colorado? If you would like to see a great F355 and know more about what to look for feel free to let me know. You can PM me if you would like.

22. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    All you need to know right here! A dealer that would actually associate THIS with a Ferrari for sale (in the same county)???

Come on!!

DL

23. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B

24. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Hey - In all fairness, that is the nicest diplomat I have ever seen (maybe even the first, lol). :)

25. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark

Thanks for naming the dealer Chris.
    I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way.... when I mentioned the joke I was talking about making fun of the dealer, not you for not posting the name. Anyway I just wanted to make that clear... I think its very cool that you may have helped others avoid the same treatment that you went through.

It would be nice if this car dealer wrote in to us.
    We'd be happy to teach him a bit about how to sell big-ticket cars to guys that know a little about what they are doing.