Countach, the ultimate supercar | Page 1149 | FerrariChat

Countach, the ultimate supercar

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by joe sackey, Aug 21, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. https://www.goodingco.com/lot/1982-lamborghini-countach-lp500s/

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Asking Price

$785,000
    Chassis

ZA9C00500CLA12472
    Engine

Car Highlights
    The First LP500S/LP5000S Lamborghini Countach; Possesses Rare Early Production Features

Exhibited on the Lamborghini Stand at the 1982 Geneva Motor Show

Owned by Quiet Riot Guitarist Carlos Cavazo for 35 Years

Never Offered for Sale Until Recently Discovered

Accompanied by Unmounted Factory Rear Wing, Tool Roll, Spare Wheel, Service Records, and Factory Literature

2. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Whoa. As another LP5000s owner, I hope he gets it.

EarlyCat likes this.
  3. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Very cool Countach.

Cavazo sold it a while back and it's changed hands since then, CLA12472 has been for sale privately for some years, so the 'Never Offered For Sale' statement means a public sale.

This one really needs to go back to Italy to be authentically restored with carburetors.

Modulo_B likes this.
  4. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Fully agree, one new owner got in contact with me and Marcel (countach registry) last year, I got only one picture from behind where you couldn't see the miserable state the car was in. I always wonder who owners let it come to such a point. Even if you loos interest make sure that a minimal care is being taken to preserve a accepatble state. The car looks like it was sitting in the sun for 20 years!

5. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Will all the parts be available to convert the car back to carbs?

R

6. Schwafu

Schwafu Karting

Feb 12, 2023
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Schwafu
    What is the result of CLA12472?

7. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
    Very overly optimistic asking price.
    I would guess that the cost to do a full restoration would run roughly $150,000.
    That being said I cannot see where this car should sell anywhere north of $200,000.
    IMO it is a $100,000 car at best.

8. luzion

luzion Karting

Dec 5, 2022
    Full Name:
    Luzgin Dmitri
    Modulo_B, Ciro Izzo and Spyder-Man like this.
  9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    You can credit the long-term owner for the car's current condition.

No, you'd have to source a complete set of correct Webers, the car does not come with them.

As far as numbers are concerned, in fairness values have increased in recent years, not as much as the optimistic ask suggests so I agree the car is not worth the ask, but it's worth more than you suggest.

Being very familiar with total restoration costs - and make no mistake this one needs a total restoration - I can tell you that restoration numbers are much higher than you're guessing, they're around $300,000 to $400,000 these days with current labor and materials costs to really do it right, the new normal.

The problem with a car such as this is, it's only worth what a guy who's willing to wait 2 years to restore it along with the headaches of managing the restoration plus the cost of the restoration, will pay. After the restoration is complete, these cars need 300 to 500 miles of on-the-road testing to really be properly fettled for all the systems to operate correctly and result in a reliable car, otherwise they are but static display pieces which don't actually work, so figure another 3-6 months of post-restoration tuning. Not everyone who wants a Countach is up for all the above when in fact they can just go ahead and buy a nice example and start enjoying it now.

That said it deserves someone who's up for the challenge.

Modulo_B, kc023515, cnpapa24 and 2 others like this.
  10. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    #28710 raymondQV, Mar 6, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    mickabigoud likes this.
  11. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    EarlyCat likes this.
  12. luzion

luzion Karting

Dec 5, 2022
    Full Name:
    Luzgin Dmitri
  13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  14. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I loved the reference in the LA Times article to the thieves ignoring the $50,000 Lamborghini Countach in the driveway.

OK, I paid a lot less than that for my LP5000S fifteen years ago, but it was sitting out in the desert in Abu Dhabi when I found it (and the costs to bring it back to 100% are still being incurred). Other than burned or wrecked cars, were they ever that cheap? While it is comparatively easy to figure out what the highest ever price paid for one might be, any guesses as to the lowest price ever paid for a complete car?

EarlyCat likes this.
  15. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    42kChf for S1 1121080 I personally know.
    It was the time when she was resprayed in Diablo orange and the white leather got painted black, horrible to look at - the next owner from/in japan had to perform an entire restoration.

Initially this car was for sale 2002 for 80kChf in original state but in need of decent TLC..

Attached Files:

16. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I paid 30k GBP for my Black RHD 5000s, sold it for 43K GBP.

EarlyCat likes this.
  17. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2007
    Milano - Italia
    Full Name:
    Cardinal
  18. What time period? I remember shopping, I think, about 18-19 years ago. The price on many was around 65k (US), and then a year later they started taking off. Roy Cats had a dd, red with polished wheels for around 60k. It was tired. A S2 was in the Wall Street Journal, black with a tan interior, under 70k. I talked to the owner, he also had a QV (white?) that he was keeping. A dino for 52k & a 61 flat floor E type I passed on for 26k.

Of course you would have to adjust the money for inflation. Back then they seemed to trade sideways. You bought one out of love, not a 401k supplement.

19. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Late 1990's
    R

20. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    jaisharma, EarlyCat and Spyder-Man like this.
  21. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I was offered a copper LP400S in Toronto with a damaged engine for around CAD$70 k in 2004. My 82 Abu Dhabi restoration project was (really) cheap, but while complete, it was being used as a lunch table in a construction equipment storage yard and was steps away from becoming a parts car. Poor thing. She looks a little better now.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    #28722 raymondQV, Mar 8, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2023
    Don't hide your light under a bushel, she looks great!

Boomhauer likes this.
  23. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
  24. alan

alan Formula 3

Apr 17, 2004
    United Kingdom