Diablo Owners? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Diablo Owners?

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by JohnMH, Feb 19, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Thanks. Peeking under the rear bodywork, I can see the tops of the rads and check the connector on the water temp sensor. The connector looks corroded. One thing, there appears to be a jumper wire added to the connector which connects two wires of the three, which causes me to think that the po either did not want to replace a temp sensor, or did not know enough to clean the connector terminals. Before I start cutting wires and experimenting, might anyone have a wiring diagram? I am trying to order a full service manual for a 93 2wd car, but they are hard to find.

2. 97diablo

97diablo Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 6, 2007
  3. 97diablo

97diablo Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 6, 2007
  4. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Quite a collection of manuals.

When I started a restoration of a Countach in 2008 I learned that there are a lot of passionate (crazy) and helpful Countach people out there. Seems that the Diablo enthusiasts are even more helpful. Many thanks to all.

Boomhauer likes this.
  5. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    My Diablo questions continue. My early car is missing its original Konis, in their place are some Japanese replacements. No idea if they are any good (I have not driven the car yet).

I found a complete set of shocks from a SV locally. I am interested in buying them, but should figure out if they will fit an early car (I suspect so, but my early car has no front end lift feature, while the SV shocks do). Can the lifting feature could be added to my car through simple wiring and a discreet switch, or does it require some form of ECU which I may not have?

As well, they will almost certainly need a rebuild; does anyone do that work? Koni rebuilt my Testarossa shocks to be as good as new, but I recall reading that they do not service the Diablo shocks. Any truth to that?

6. Schwafu

Schwafu Karting

Feb 12, 2023
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Schwafu
    It will be a real task to add the lifting system in your car. You need several components which are no longer available. I would recommend to find the correct shocks in used condition and refurbish them. They are here and there available.

The non-lifting shocks are no problem to refurbish, the lifting shocks is a PITA, what i have experienced and heard so far.

7. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I note the first SV's did not have a lifting system (1997) but the 1998 and later cars did. I have yet to see the used shocks on offer firsthand, but maybe I am lucky (the shocks from an early Diablo front shock and a 1997 SV have the same part number).

Do those people with the non-lift equipped cars have major ground clearance issues?

8. Schwafu

Schwafu Karting

Feb 12, 2023
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Schwafu
    Not really. Of course you have to take care but even on the cars with lift system i never use it... because i am scared the system could fail :D

9. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    My other cars include a lowbody LP400S and a BB512 with a very low front spoiler, so I am used to approaching even painted stripes on the road at a 45 degree angle.

10. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    In Houston, even the 45 degree thing doesn’t work sometimes so it depends on your area. Yes, even the lift shocks can be re-built IF that is the problem.

11. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
  12. SGM

SGM F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2006
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    ryalex likes this.
  13. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Wow. Ok, yes, that is now on my list. Terrible.

14. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/bbqd-diablo.193739/

You wrote in that thread it was the fuel regulator (per inspection by the insurer), and that you were not sure if it had rubber fuel lines or not. That car was a '91 with some modifications...(wheels, wing, outside mirrors were typically dark grey/black..)

15. SGM

SGM F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2006
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The initial thought from the investigator was a faulty fuel regulator. But he was also able to determine through all of the prior service records that the original fuel lines had never been changed and that they were probably rubber ones and not stainless steel. Either way something in the fuel system failed. Also, to note was that the car had sat for roughly 7 years with hardly any use since the last service. The wheels were the only modification I did to it.

16. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Also stainless steal braided fuel lines age, inside is the same rubber...

17. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    An additional question - as I trace a slight misfire, how can I access error codes in the LIE computers? Is there a rare and exotic LIE specific tool to interrogate the computers? I note the 1996 and later cars has normal OBD functions.

As my 1992 car lacks the ability to flash codes on the dashboard I can just throw parts at it or swap parts from the left and right banks (Testarossa diagnostic style), but there must be a better way.

18. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I have heared that the Weber/Marelli test tool workd for Diablos. But also that Lamborghini made their own ECUs. So what is right and wrong? There are quite a few cars with the Weber Marelli injection/ignition system like the 1987-2000 Maserati Biturbo cars, Lancia Integrale and many more.

19. gutshot, Boomhauer and Spyder-Man like this.
  20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    And it is a Roadster, the most fun Diablo to drive....the Countach store was probably just jealous.

21. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    why does your car lack the ability to flash codes? did someone remove the bulbs? there is no specific LIE tool to interrogate the computer, its all done by blink codes. Many Diablo's have the dash lights removed or disconnected to mask an error code. There is a LM Console, that plugs into the LIE's that can read parameters when the car is running, but they dont read the blink codes.

22. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I have not disassembled the dashboard yet, but missing bulbs could be the cause. My car is missing so many things (usable wheels, an exhaust system, bumper, fog lights) however dashboard bulbs may he next on my list.

Can you provide details of the LM console referred to?

23. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    It reads the following parameters from the LIE

THROT: the angle opening of the TPS

RPM:

SADV: Spark advance

MAP: manifold pressure

VBB: Battery voltage

KTJTRIM: correction factor for injection timing based on self learning memory

TH2O: water temperature

TAIR: Air temperature

TINJ: battery voltage correction factor

KTJTAR: air temperature correction factor

KTJFAR: throttle valve correction factor

CFH20: water temp correction factor

KLAMBDA: 02 sensor correction factor