HereGarage 56's Le Mans-Bound NASCAR Camaro Is Officially Here | FerrariChat

HereGarage 56's Le Mans-Bound NASCAR Camaro Is Officially Here

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by NYC Fred, Feb 18, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    When was the last time you saw a Cup car with functional headlights and taillights?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

https://12ft.io/proxy? Image Unavailable, Please Login q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.roadandtrack.com%2Fnews%2Fa42958442%2Fgarage-56s-le-mans-bound-nascar-camaro-is-officially-here%2F%3Fsource%3Dnl%26utm_source%3Dnl_rdt%26utm_medium%3Demail%26date%3D021823%26utm_campaign%3Dnl30592445%26user_email%3D4b4f7783d00565412b32663f35eb8a69c327d395fe58624329553b3a516e07e7%26utm_term%3DAAA%2520--%2520High%2520Minus%2520Dormant%2520and%252090%2520Day%2520Non%2520Openers

jm2 and RedNeck like this.
  2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  3. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Saw that...that's badass

4. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Jenson Button did a run, got out... "How can something with so much power have so little grip?"

sjd

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It's back to basics for Jenson, racing as we should have left it: no downforce !

Jack-the-lad and tazz99 like this.
  6. tazz99

tazz99 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2007
    Kennesaw, GA
    Full Name:
    Seth
    And no paddle shift

william likes this.
  7. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Are they going to have pneumatic air jacks at LeMans or are they still going to have someone running around with a floor jack during pit stops?

8. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I read somewhere they intended to be really "NASCAR authentic" and use floor jacks. To be seen ...

9. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  10. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    NASCAR: "We are going to Le Mans! Please take us serious..."

Also NASCAR: "We get a discount at Harbor Freight"

Nembo1777 and GuyIncognito like this.
  11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  12. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    First Ive heard of this, what a cool idea. I look forward to seeing how it goes.

normv likes this.
  13. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    LOL :D

reasonable concern :eek:

I hope this does well. I wouldn't be opposed to IMSA running a NASCAR class at Daytona with a bunch of Cup guys. that could be fun. would be similar to the old GTO class (which was basically Trans Am cars with headlights)

14. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I like the idea as long as we aren't still turning away legit entries. GTP, LMP2, GTD (combine the classes since it doesn't make any difference), and then Cup.

If you could have one prototype class, one GT class and the Cup class it would be so much easier for fans to follow. I follow this stuff really closely and go to multiple events each year. I still am having trouble remembering which cars are in GTD vs GTD Pro. Doesn't help that a few cars have flipped back and forth.

normv, Jack-the-lad and GuyIncognito like this.
  15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  16. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Are we taking odds on how many seconds it will be off the pace?

BHW

Nembo1777 likes this.
  17. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    at COTA, a GTE car does a 2:02 and a Cup car does a 2:13, so extrapolate from there.

the hybrid prototypes will use it as a chicane

normv and Nembo1777 like this.
  18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #18 Nembo1777, Mar 5, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
    Yes it will be a mobile chicane and it's rythm will be very disruptive not to say potentially lethal.

It will be like a cow on ice getting in the way everywhere but the straights where it will have a decent top speed BUT will brake a mile before the others, very dangerous.

I recall when I raced In the Esso Formula Ford series in England in 1988 an open test day on the Silverstone club circuit.

That was the only time we ran with BTCC British Touring cars. Well these fat old English Nascar equivalent had us by 50kph on the straights 250 vs 200....but braked ages before we did.

The first one who passed me on the back straight immediately moved in front of me AND, to my huge surprise, dropped the anchors the very next second shooting exhaust flames at my visor while I tried everything to avoid slamming into him....of course being several times lighter I had much better brakes but for an instant I was just one meter behind his flame throwers...

It is the same problem when Radicals etc are mixed with GT cars during track days. These rhythm differences are potentially lethal.

I just hope this weird experiment does not backfire. Don't be surprised if it gets excluded after a few hours after a deluge of complaints by teams.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Le Mans has always mixed different categories with huge performance differences. There are in fact several races in the Race.
    Drivers are briefed about the risks and encouraged to adapt their driving to the challenge.
    I believe the skills of newcomers are tested, which didn't happened before when most of the participants were amateurs.
    The Garage 56 NASCAR Camaro driven by 3 professionals can't be more dangerous than some of the cars seen in the past .
    In the 60s, the 7L Ford MKII where topping above 220mph in traffic among cars only capable of half their speed.
    Mario Andretti explained it in a commentary, refering to his experience in 1966, where he found himself during the night threading his way among the field and "up to his arse in Alfa (Tubolare), Triumph (Spitfire !), Austin Healey Sprite and other small stuff" and trying not to bump into them"[sic].
    I liked the 2 NASCAR cars I saw in 1976, and I remember what attraction they were.
    The same can happend with the Camaro this year. I wish them well.

carguyjohn350 and normv like this.
  20. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    IIRC, if the car does not lap within a certain percentage, they'll black flag it.

They should have done this with Michael Waltrip a few years ago when he was driving a Ferrari
    in GTAM and his lap times were 19 seconds off the class leader. It was anyone's guess why
    they didn't call him in as it was obvious he was in way over his head and as Marc points out,
    potentially lethal.

BHW

Nembo1777 likes this.
  21. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Given the driver lineup I
    I think I read that the Camaro is lapping Daytona faster than the GT3 spec cars so I would guess that puts it about in line with the GTE cars. How they make their lap times will be very different and I can see that catching some people out.

22. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I had heard "1:46s" for the Camaro; GTD fast lap was 1:46 flat. so, up to a second off pace (1:46.99 would be in the 1:46s :p )

in 2019, last "real" year of GTE (GTLM) at Daytona with the Fords and BMW/Porsche/Chevy/Ferrari full or factory supported teams, GTD was about 3 seconds slower than GTE.

so you would expect a 4 second lap time gap at Daytona. with a lap time a bit more than twice as long at LeMans (2022 GTE Pro pole time was 3:49), you would expect an ~8 second gap to GTE. then there's a 25 second gap from Hypercar (last year) to GTE Pro :eek:

what I haven't seen is what spec the motor will be run in...NASCAR mode (~670 hp), BOP'd down, de-restricted up...

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I cannot see what the fuss is about regarding a NASCAR Camaro racing at Le Mans. Yes the car will be slower and have longer braking zones than the Hypercars, for sure, but already the GTE have those. It has been like that for years, and no one called it lethal.
    In fact, some of the incidents in recent years have been caused by LMP drivers under-estimating the speed of slower cars.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  24. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    *cough* McNish *cough*

as stated above, I like it. it's different (though not unprecedented). I'm actually more concerned about JJ's general lack of talent than the car being too slow.

25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Spot on !!!

Also like the LMP2 guy who sent the Risi car in the guardrail by swerving under its nose under braking at Mulsane.