Getting cold feet about using a Ferrari as a daily driver in Atl | FerrariChat

Getting cold feet about using a Ferrari as a daily driver in Atl

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by BrooksCopeland, Jan 17, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BrooksCopeland

Jan 3, 2018
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Full Name:
    Brooks Copeland
    I’ve been all excited to buy a Lusso or FF. Its been a few years since I had a fun car. I got to talking to a friend and started remembering the crazy interactions I had with my R8. Just a few of the crazy things that would happen - A guy tried to run me off the road repeatedly while my pregnant wife was in the car. I had a guy block me in at a parking lot and got out of his car (before I could get out of mine) only to yell asking if I’d race him. I even had a gun flashed at me while sitting at a red light. There were plenty of thumbs up and respectful people asking for pictures. I used to live in downtown Atlanta which is plenty dicey even without an exotic car and have since moved to a nicer area of the metro Atlanta area (Sandy Springs GA). After a year of searching and about to move on something. I’m getting cold feet about using a Ferrari as a daily driver and toting my 4 yr old around town.

Anyone in the northern suburbs had major issues while driving around these areas? Am I just overthinking this?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    Living in downtown Atlanta was your problem. I both lived and worked near Sandy Springs for years while daily driving a Testarossa and had zero problems from people.

rampante550 and BrooksCopeland like this.
  3. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The closest I have been to "daily driving an exotic" was when I had a Maserati Quattroporte for several years. It's not at the Ferrari level so it didn't draw much attention. Back when we lived in Michigan, during the summer months I would semi-daily drive a Testarossa, and I did have some issues. Some that come to mind are finding cigarette ashes all over the car, a packet of ketchup squirted onto the trunk, etc. But the worst issue was while sitting at a stoplight, a couple with small children was crossing the street, the guy was angrily staring at me like he was trying to bore a hole in my head, and as they are going by....he spits on the front of the TR. I just gave him a "are you kidding me" look, but kept under control, as I didn't want to provoke him...as he may kick the car or something.

Alas my exotic car days are behind me now (sadly). I now live in the area of Columbus, GA, which is like a mini-Atlanta. I know a guy who has a Lambo Aventador...and he quickly learned that he cannot EVER leave that car anywhere. He said he's going to sell it and get a 911 Turbo as that will not attract so much attention. I think the Ferrari FF is a beautiful and classy machine, and would likely be okay in most suburb areas of Atlanta. But downtown Atlanta is another world.

4. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i work in buckhead. see exotics everyday. personally, i don't think a FF or the like would get a second look.

fwiw

5. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I work from home, so don't have to worry about daily driving a Ferrari... I don't have too much worry about parking the 599 in Buckhead during the day. at night... i think twice. Several reasons:

1. POT HOLES - Atlanta has some horrific potholes and avoiding hitting them is full time - slightly easier during the day... at night horrible - mostly because of #2
    2. Crazy other drivers - I have noticed a wild increase in the crazy driving - hate to note it - but Afro-American males - driving like its Mario karts... example - West Paces Ferry Road, about 2:30 on a Saturday afternoon- mild traffic ( this was between the holidays ) and a guy comes screaming past a long line of cars - driving about 60 mph in the middle turning lane... blew through the stop light ... I first thought - wonder if he's being chased? - nope ... I'm assuming he drove right past the governor's mansion...
    3. I'm more selective of taking the car due to increased gun violence - no need to place a full-on target on my back. I would never go to any of the malls, in the car... and I try to stay off the major highways - lots of people wanting to "race you" - and again the horrible state of the roads.... it's mostly the roads that drive me crazy.

Daily Driving a Ferrari - especially a newer one - would not be a problem per se, but the environment is more aggressive than in the past. or maybe I'm just getting older.

430jm likes this.
  6. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    They get a second look, but just be smart about it. I’d avoid Lenox…

7. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    Peaceful protesters…

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I've had my 328 for almost 19 years now, living in Marietta. I drive the car fairly regularly, nearly everywhere except downtown, and I've never had a problem. Yeah, someone might pull alongside and try to goad you to race, but I ignore them and they go away. I get a lot of positive talk and thumbs ups. Maybe because it's an older model and they appreciate that fact that it's a classic. I expect to eventually get rid of the car, not because of the environment, but because I figure I'll get too old to get in and out of the car!

9. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I think the crazy drivers is due to the influx of people moving here from other parts of the country. Not home grown. Mostly NE and have seen a lot of license plates from FL. Maybe the FL drivers are just passing through. Have you ever driven in FL? It’s a different style/level of driving all together, especially South FL.

10. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Atlanta drivers are terrible. I drive a lot for my job and a lot in Atlanta. I don't think you'd have too much of an issue just tooling around SS, but get a beater for anywhere south of there.

11. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Never a problem for me in good ole Cherokee county. Just very pleasant people who appreciate the cars and most people completely ignore my cars.

WillskiGT, Brian7708 and V4NG0 like this.
  12. WillskiGT

WillskiGT Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Have driven a variety of high end cars as daily drivers and as nice weather cars. Never had an issue. I live in West Midtown, so would imagine if I haven't had any issues here, doubtful you'd have negative interactions OTP north.

But who knows, maybe folks up there are wilder than here, despite common perceptions to the contrary.

13. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    We lived off of Defoors Ferry for years, but moved last year... the street racing and crime driving us out to Cobb.... I only had one incident in West Midtown in my older Ferrari some guy started getting aggressive to me at a gas station on howell mill 5+ years ago. I was just ready to douse him with gas until he left...

14. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    Tom, you should know better than to cut someone off in Midtown :).

15. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Ha! yes. I was just pumping gas... and he kept on about the white man taking all the money for fancy cars... "you gimme some money!".... that's when I just kept the hose ready!

16. BrooksCopeland

Jan 3, 2018
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Full Name:
    Brooks Copeland
    Just an update for the group. I had a Rosso Maranello FF show up. I may be officially joining the group.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. CRF430

CRF430 Rookie

Jan 30, 2023
    Full Name:
    Cory Romonosky
    I live in Forsyth and have never had issues with a 360. It’s old enough that the uninitiated probably think it’s a new Corvette. Those who know usually wave, give a thumbs up or a nod. The rest just ignore me. Only issues I have are people who forget the right pedal is the one that makes it go. They usually have a “STUDENT DRIVER PLEASE BE PATIENT” sticker so it’s easy to anticipate.

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  18. Trackjunkie1

Trackjunkie1 Karting

Aug 2, 2017
    I also live in Forsyth County, in Cumming. There's quite a bit of exotic cars, so have never really had any issues with folks being rude. I drive the 360 as much as I can. Now, my daily is a Maserati GarnSport, I've actually seen less of this car than the 360 even in car shows. When I was traveling weekly, I take it to the airport on Mondays and home on Thursday. No issues either. I just go about my business when driving through the city. Just be aware that you are driving a not so normal car and there will be reactions (positive and negative).

BTW if anyone knows of a 430 or 599 for sale, I'll be looking for one pretty soon. For sale for a reasonable price, that is.