E-Type valuation thread | Page 6 | FerrariChat

E-Type valuation thread

Discussion in 'British' started by rdefabri, Sep 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    buy a series 1 or 1.5.

2. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    I an not looking for a garage queen. Got a bunch of them.

3. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    suggesting to buy the purist design regardless of level of restoration.

4. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    Good advice. I am a beginner. Doing my research but from what I have learned so far, you are 100% right Would you know the price range for either one?

5. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    My personal favourite (and my own current car - see below) is the 3.8, in FHC form. Series 2 is arguably the better car (and can be bought more cheaply today), but lost it aesthetically IMO. Series 1 4.2 is a good compromise - still had the looks, but also more comfortable seats, better brakes, all-synchro gearbox, torquier motor, alternator, one or two other improvements. Are you wanting a convertible, 2-seater FHC, or a 2+2?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

JourneyMan and mcimino like this.
  6. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
  7. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I’m a big fan of the earlier Series One 3.8 liter E-types (1961-1964), especially the open two-seater (“OTS” in Jaguar-speak):

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Your timing is pretty good...E-type prices have softened in the past year, but the best ones will still cost you upwards of $150k. Mechanical work and parts prices are ‘reasonable’ by Ferrari standards, but a rusted or bent monocoque will cost you a bundle to put right. A nut&bolt restoration will cost $200k+, so it’s better to spend $150k on a properly done car.

I’ve owned an E-type for 42 years so pepper me with questions via PM’s if you like.

good luck!
    Alan
    N.J.

msdesignltd, mcimino and AtSomePoint like this.
  8. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    Hi Alan. You are the exact person I am looking for. I will reach out tomorrow. Thank you for your response.

9. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
  10. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    I should avoid a S3 if I were you - overly complex V12, which doesn't really suit the car as well as the straight 6 either.

wahoowa likes this.
  11. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    So you recommend the 6 cylinder engine?

12. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes. By the mid '60s, the XK engine was approaching 20 years in production in a wide range of cars, from large and small saloons through sports cars to Le Mans winning racers, with all the development advantages that implies. The V12 was brand new when it appeared in the S3 E type. Plus there are twice as many of most things to need attention.

If you are happy withe the aesthetics, a S2 may suit you. Widest choice of variants, too - 2 seater OTS and FHC, or 2+2, even an auto if that grabs you. And significantly cheaper to buy than a S1.

13. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    Prefer a very clean driver under $100k. Not sure if I can get a series 1 for my budget eventhough in this market it might be possible. That leaves me with a series 2 choice most likely.

14. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
  15. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
  16. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I comminsioned a full restoration on a 1971 Series II OTS - https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/hey-i-bought-an-e-type-in-boxes.550146/

Took 2.5 years... My opinion? It is the one to buy & own.

Yes I have pals that bark out "welded louver" and "flat floor" and "series 1" but do they buy those? No, they don't. They drive Audis. Those words are all great catch phrases but when it comes down to it ~ the Series II is a better ownership experience.

Mine is show worthy. 100% redone. But I drive it like it was my daily. And why not? Its a friggen Series II. It drives nice, and looks all the business. I never worry about it overheating, or giving me any trouble. Plus it is considerably more comfortable than the earlier cars.

I am driving this thing & enjoying it. There are a lot less Series I drivers saying that I can assure you. Find one & start enjoying the experience.

JourneyMan, cgt000 and AtSomePoint like this.
  17. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    ^^^ yours is beautiful. I had already decided on Series 2 after several conversations with a very knowledgeable person her .

Michael B likes this.
  18. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Where are we at these days? Seems to be some very nice S1 roadsters in the $120-160 range.

19. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
  20. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    BJK and ghibliman like this.
  21. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    How weird. Compare that with this and it is obvious that the rear end is seriously distorted:

Rear bumper should be exactly horizontal and upper wheel arch curvature should be symmetrical.

It doesn't even square with it being a conversion from FHC given a false identity:

AHudson and BJK like this.
  22. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Listing on BAT withdrawn...I assume due to controversial appearance + comments on same.
    HTH could something like this happen??

23. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    #150 AHudson, Mar 10, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    That is so odd, because every dollar spent following the horrendous misalignment of those two sections was a waste. Having restored an E type over a 2 year period about 6 years ago, it was/remains one of the most complex automotive designs of all time. You either get stuff straight or you just don't do it.

And not to minimize anyone's job nor cast blame, that body line running parallel to the ground is like THE one you get right to which most others use as reference.

I honestly cannot even visualize the scenario that would lead to that weird 5-10 degree angle 'Brazilian butt lift'. And reportedly, that car had been done by someone who knew what they were doing. The undoing of that will be costly, and now, thanks to the wonders of online merchandising, that car will forever be the one that was disfigured, then hopefully refigured. A shame really.