The Purosangue Thread | Page 254 | FerrariChat

The Purosangue Thread

Discussion in 'Purosangue' started by MDEL, Dec 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chicko

Chicko Formula 3

So is Ferrari planning on using the profits from this truck to profit its shareholders, or to further develop the "cars we love"?

2. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Thank you. Appreciate it.

ps It ain’t an SUV- no rear bench seat & can only fit 4 and it can’t hold 20 bags of horse feed (per my wife). To qualify as a truck it needs to haul a pallet of feed.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

of2worlds likes this.
  3. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Proper management will make sure both are fulfilled. And so far, Exor has proven pretty reliable in making solid brands.

4. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    You are talking sensibly. Some are committed to calling the PS a truck because they cannot abide it. As you point out, they apparently have no concept of what constitutes a truck.

tomc and Senad like this.
  5. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Interesting. Did not know that Exor owned so much Ferrari stock. Quite a bit of influence with 36% voting power.

350MH83 likes this.
  6. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Porsche Plans New Electric Luxury SUV as Profit Rises
    Sports-car maker wants to tap growing number of luxury customers in U.S., China

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    A Porsche 911 Dakar at the AutoMobility LA Auto Show last year.PHOTO: DAMIAN DOVARGANES/ASSOCIATED PRESS
    By William Boston
    March 13, 2023 at 8:21 am ET

BERLIN—Porsche AG unveiled plans to launch a new all-electric SUV as it reported a rise in sales and profit in its first annual earnings since parent Volkswagen AG took the sports-car maker public last year.

The German company said Monday that the new luxury SUV would be a cornerstone of its plan to boost profitability by having a sharper, strategic focus on high-end automotive consumers.

While Porsche has always made high-end vehicles, like the iconic 911 and its all-electric sedan, the Taycan, the company is seeking to follow rivals like Ferrari NV, Mercedes-Benz Group AG and Aston Martin Lagonda Global Holdings PLC in targeting the growing ranks of the world’s wealthiest consumers.

“We are underlining and strengthening our sporty luxury positioning,” said Porsche Chief Executive Officer Oliver Blume. “We see there are growing profit pools in this segment, especially in China and the U.S.”

How VW Is Turning Engine Factories Into EV Battery Plants
    YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

How VW Is Turning Engine Factories Into EV Battery PlantsPlay video: How VW Is Turning Engine Factories Into EV Battery Plants
    Volkswagen is investing in electric vehicles more than other legacy car makers in the U.S. WSJ goes inside an engine factory that is being transformed into a battery plant as the German giant looks to change its image and become a rival to Tesla. Photo illustration: George Downs
    Mr. Blume, who is also CEO of Volkswagen, said the new Porsche SUV would be positioned in the upper luxury segment, above its current top SUV, the Cayenne. The vehicle is currently undergoing testing and development but hasn’t yet been revealed, and Mr. Blume gave no indication of when it would be launched.

Mr. Blume did, though, add that the design of the new all-electric SUV would feature Porsche’s typical curving front-to-rear fly line, give a strong electric performance and include a range of fully automated functions. The SUV will be based on Porsche’s own performance EV technology.

Porsche was among the first high-end sports-car makers to venture into the growing SUV market when it launched the Cayenne in 2002. The success of the vehicle, and its smaller cousin, the Macan, launched in 2014, inspired other luxury-car makers including Bentley and Lamborghini to develop their own luxury SUVs.

Chief Executive Oliver Blume said the new Porsche SUV would be positioned in the upper luxury segment.PHOTO: LISI NIESNER/REUTERS
    An all-electric version of the Macan is due to be launched next year after a delay because of troubles with VW’s software. An all-electric version of the 718 sports car is slated to come to market next year, followed later by the launch of a new electric generation of the company’s Cayenne SUV. VW holds 75% of Porsche.

News of the new SUV came as Porsche reported its first annual earnings since its listing in September.

Porsche said it sold 309,884 vehicles last year, up 2.6% from the previous year. China and the U.S. were Porsche’s biggest markets, accounting for 30% and 26% of sales, respectively, the company said in its annual report.

The company’s key target, its return on sales, rose to 18% in 2022 from 16% the previous year. Porsche is targeting a rise to 20% in the coming years, which it hopes to achieve by pushing further upmarket.

Sales rose to 37.63 billion euros, equivalent to about $40.04 billion, from €33.14 billion in 2021. Net profit rose 68% to €6.9 billion.

Porsche Taycan cars on the assembly line of the company’s production site in Stuttgart, Germany.PHOTO: AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE/GETTY IMAGE
    Porsche proposed a dividend for the year of €1 an ordinary share and €1.01 a preferred share.

Porsche said it expects an operating return on sales of 17-19% in 2023 and for sales to rise to around €40 billion to €42 billion.

Porsche shares traded 4% lower in Frankfurt as the earnings fell short of analysts’ expectations.

“Results slightly missed consensus across the board, but guidance for 2023 was in line with expectations,” Daniel Roeska, automotive analyst with Bernstein Research, wrote in a note to clients.

Write to William Boston at [email protected]

Appeared in the March 14, 2023, print edition as 'Porsche to Add an Electric SUV'.

anunakki, elmadi and MDEL like this.
  7. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Following Sailfly great explanation about the Purosangue active suspension I post a complementary explanation of how the 48V active suspension works and what changes compared to other systems.

FERRARI PUROSANGUE SUSPENSION 48V AND DIFFERENCES BETWEEN ADAPTIVE AND PNEUMATIC

The active suspension of the Ferrari Purosangue could literally cancel out the physical effects related to driving dynamics, such as pitching and lateral roll. However, doing so would mean eliminating those signals that transmit fundamental sensations to the driver, such as lateral acceleration in a curve. Ferrari argues that he could have easily made the Purosangue's set-up neutral, but preferred to maintain a pinch of body roll. All the other advantages in terms of comfort and active stability of the frame remain. But be careful not to confuse the 48V Ferrari TASV active suspension with adaptive or pneumatic suspension. Let's see the differences:

• the air suspension adjusts the height and response of the shock absorbers according to the driving style or program in a progressive manner. They generally run on air and take some time to adjust;

• adaptive suspensions, on the other hand, act mainly on the functioning of the car shock absorbers, varying the calibration of the valves.

HOW THE ACTIVE SUSPENSION OF THE FERRARI PUROSANGUE IS MADE

The suspensions of the Ferrari Purosangue were developed by Multimatic in collaboration with the Maranello engineers to combine ride comfort and stability functions. Two antagonistic characters, who find harmony thanks to:

• a control unit for each shock absorber, which manages operation based on the signals from the car's inertial sensors;

• a 48V motor which activates the shock absorber rod every 5 hundredths of a second;

• a worm screw shaft driven by 48V motors which acts on the stem;

• liquid cooling module for control unit and 48V motor;

• the coil spring, still present, but which mainly contributes to driving comfort, while stiffness is entrusted to electronic control.

HOW THE 48V SUSPENSION OF THE PUROSANGUE WORKS

Ferrari declares that with the 48V active suspension the weight has increased by about 45 kg more than with a traditional adaptive system. To this must also be added the weight of the 48 V battery, which is present in any case as an auxiliary battery on the most equipped cars. Based on the inputs that the control module receives, the 48V motors can lower or raise the stem height every 0.05 seconds with a force of over 500 kg. Thanks to this system, Ferrari manages to counteract load transfers and body movement, almost eliminating lateral roll and keeping the load on the tyres, as the Ferrari claims. Due to that the Purosangue does not need anti-roll bars.

chrixxx, anunakki, elmadi and 2 others like this.
  8. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I know it's been asked many times, but is there any reason why the PS doesn't have it's own "model specific discussion" yet? I've yet to see a clear explanation and therefore can only make assumptions on why this polarizing model doesn't 'deserve' one.

Perhaps someone can start a poll on this question?

9. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    If you know its been asked many times presumably the reason may (or may not) have been the post after the one you did read !

ScrappyB likes this.
  10. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I'll check and see what I can find :)

11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK

Exor = the Agnellis (President John Elkann being the head of the family).

elmadi and jumpinjohn like this.
  12. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Great companies do both. I have yet to see any sign of Ferrari divesting from future vehicle development and simply padding shareholder profits. Look at the investment in tech for Purosangue … they could have phoned it in and produced an SUV with a horse and old tech, and it still would have sold out. But as is typical they introduced what may be groundbreaking suspension tech among other elements that absolutely nobody needs on an SUV or CUV or whatever you want to call it. Not sure why some view this as doomsday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

350MH83, paulchua, elmadi and 2 others like this.
  13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Because we personalize it too much.

paulchua and elmadi like this.
  14. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Each time Flavio Manzoni is interviewed we learn a bit more about how the Purosangue project was though and developed. This time Manzoni explained that to the microphones of Gazetta Motori.

F.M. - "As you can imagine, it wasn't a walk in the park . Behind the birth of the Ferrari Purosangue there is an extremely complex work which, not surprisingly, also required a long development period, we are talking about almost five years. This period of time was necessary precisely to develop a new architecture, dedicated to a concept of automobile that did not exist. Because it is difficult to place this car within certain categories or typologies. It is an object which, in our intentions, it had to bring together a whole series of functions: some of them go beyond those of a normal Ferrari as we have seen it up to now. , therefore to accessibility, but also to the versatility of what, to all intents and purposes, is the first Ferrari that you can really use anywhere and with whoever you want".

F.M. "The sporty, athletic, streamlined look of this car contrasts with the space on board - underlines Manzoni - It is what I sometimes define as the solution of a complex equation, with several variables. As he said Constantin Brâncuși, great artist and sculptor, simplicity is a resolved complexity. This is, in a way, the spirit that guided us in defining the architectural and stylistic concept of this car. As I said before, I believe this is a Ferrari which didn't exist, but which was eagerly awaited, given its great versatility, and desired by many, given that it is the red to be used every day".

F.M. "The first job, carried out together with my collaborators at the Centro Stile in synergy with the engineers, was to define the architecture of the car - added the Ferrari design manager - So try to understand what the concept is architecture of the car, what kind of proportions to give it, how to be able to put together elements or aspects of the project that are also very contrasting with each other.It was a job that took a long time, but I think this model allows you to share the experience driving and the so-called fun to drive with friends, with family in a truly unique and incredible way".

F.M. "The moment we conceive the line and shape of a new Ferrari, elements of language come into play which, obviously, can also draw on the brand's very rich linguistic heritage, but which, at the same time, are projected towards the future - Manzoni continues- So there is always this link between the past and the future and there is also this desire for a continuous evolution of the language which, however, is also respectful of tradition. In the sense that we always make very prudent choices. Let me give you an example. It is clear that we didn't want a traditionalist effect, i.e. on the rear we didn't want to put the usual round taillights which are also a sort of cliché. Instead, we wanted to do something more modern, something that is more similar to, for example, to the spirit of a 296 GTB. The elements that wink at traditional stylistic elements can also be different, but what matters is that the whole is absolutely original. In my opinion, it is an ina expected, unexpected but which, at the same time, whoever sees it immediately recognizes it as a Ferrari. And that's extraordinary, because it's a Ferrari with proportions never seen before."

anunakki, of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  15. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    chrixxx, ivo73, anunakki and 12 others like this.
  16. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Has this thing been cancelled yet?

17. rmmcdaniel

rmmcdaniel Karting

Aug 19, 2012
  18. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    The usual abstract marketing talk which can be skimmed to zero meaning. I would have loved actual details about the process.

elmadi and sailfly like this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #6344 paulchua, Mar 17, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    Naw, they going to make those dollar bill cigars and smoke em’.

Ferrari from this point will be trucks. Make money on those trucks, turn around and make more trucks, all the leftover money make more cigars out out em (You know, mo money, mo problems.)

That’s the next 5 year plan, any rumors of hypercars are just that, fake news. The 499 yesterday at Sebring? Deep fake.

20. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Have you been into the 'cat nip' again?

paulchua and sailfly like this.
  21. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    I am looking forward to garage pics of folks in Miami with both the Purosangue and Roma Spyder and then watching the whiners auto-explode.

LuxRes, elmadi and rmmcdaniel like this.
  22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I should have put sarcasm tags.
    :)
    That or you too don’t have a clue what Ferrari plans are for their profits.

Boomhauer and of2worlds like this.
  23. jasuper

jasuper Karting

Jun 24, 2015
    Chicago
    Hi all - had my initial Atelier appointment this past week. Great experience with the team there and they really brought some of the initial inspiration images and ideas I had together beautifully. Will try to attach the presentation pages here. Was going for something more on the subtle side since this will be daily driver for me, but with a bit of nuance and customization. Exterior color is Night Blue Mille Miglia (hadn't heard of it or seen it before) and the white livery touches exterior and interior are Bianco Mille Miglia. Some blue carbon elements on the interior and core leather is Blu Navy semi-aniline. No price list yet and no idea when it may come, but good to have the design done.

PB033, tomc, Boomhauer and 17 others like this.
  24. PATRIEK

PATRIEK Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2004
    Full Name:
    Patriek
    TOP !!!!

Caeruleus11 and 456-boy like this.