Replacing Headers | FerrariChat

Replacing Headers

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by gardnerld, Mar 7, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gardnerld

gardnerld Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    naples
    Full Name:
    Larry G.
    Currently replacing headers and exhaust. Headers have arrived and wish to have ceramic coatings. Perhaps Jet Hot here in the U.S. I am asking for advice as to the correct color of the headers. Special with Ferrari ?Want originality, Not sure black or silver?
    Thanks for the help.

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Bare steel is original. Some came painted either silver or black but paint burned off on first test drive by factory drivers. It was not high heat paint.

3. gardnerld

gardnerld Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    naples
    Full Name:
    Larry G.
    Do you think I should just go with black ceramic? The exhaust is black as Ansa.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I think it would be a very good choice followed by iron/steel gray or similar.

Schumi likes this.
  5. Paul C Cain

Paul C Cain Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2017
    Newport Beach Calif.
    Full Name:
    Paul C Cain
    I just ceramic coated my exhaust system today. I used Cerikote C-7300P Black velvet. This is an air cured ceramic coating designed for headers. (Cerikotes primary marketplace is the firearms industry). The quality of the outcome hinges on metal preparation and cleanliness. Cerikote is really specific about abrading the tubes / material and getting it very clean before applying. Smooth (shiny) surfaces are a no-no. It has to have some texture for the material to 'bit' into. It's rated to 1200 F. It sprays on like most automotive urethanes, maybe slightly higher in viscosity.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

George Vosburgh and Il Tifoso like this.
  6. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    I personnaly prefer stainless as
    1) the mufflers do sit very low (coating scratched)
    2) the header are close to the rear panel of the wheel arch that is not protected by heat-shields. Exhaust wrap does really help here.

Back to the subject: if the car is not a 412, the bottom of the header is quite visible, so the coating should be matched with the body colour. Also if the OP is only willing to coat the headers, a lighter colour would probably be a better match to the rest of the (natural?) exhaust.

7. Theruse

Theruse Karting

Jan 17, 2014
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Prescott Russo
    I saw your other thread first and was asking about the ceramic coating. That's good news for me that you used Cerikote. The guy who refinished my wheels has a contract with the US govt. to Cerikote guns and other armaments. So he is very qualified with Cerikote. Now I can give him the choice of colors.

8. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Did they also coat the inside?

9. Paul C Cain

Paul C Cain Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2017
    Newport Beach Calif.
    Full Name:
    Paul C Cain
  10. gardnerld

gardnerld Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    naples
    Full Name:
    Larry G.
    I have used Jet Hot for several different vehicles and recommend them. They are coated inside and out. My issue for the 400i was to learn the correct color that Ferrari used at that time. 1980. I think Rifledriver got it and I think I'm going with Iron/steel gray color.

11. Theruse

Theruse Karting

Jan 17, 2014
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Prescott Russo
    I have a NOS full exhaust system for my 400 and the color is definitely black not Iron/steel gray. The paint is flaking in spots and that's why I am going with Black Cerakote. The original black is between matte and satin with just a slight gloss. I've searched for the original color code to no avail.