Weird Happening | FerrariChat

Weird Happening

Discussion in '308/328' started by Lawrence Coppari, Jan 28, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I am in the process of changing my timing belt for probably the sixth time having owned my '87 328 GTS for over 35 years. I had completed the rear belt and put the cover back on and fixed the rear fiber cover to the front cover including the nasty little bolt that is hard to reach near the WUR. Fine and dandy.

Getting started on the front belt, I noticed that the shaft of the York compressor was leaking. I had replaced its seal probably 10 years or so ago. Before removing the compressor, I opened the low-pressure hose at the compressor and bled out what little refrigerant that remained. I then opened the high-pressure side and did the same. Some oil came out, but I caught it with a rag. To remove the compressor from the top it had to be turned to clear obstacles. As I tilted it, oil began spewing out of the high-pressure side as though it was driven by pressure. I placed a rag over it and caught most of it. The spewing stopped. I began maneuvering the compressor to further its removal. The spewing of oil began again, this time squirting on the rear timing belt where it protrudes from its cover near the drive cog. Now I have to order another belt.

Is there any explanation for the oil spewing after having removed the AC lines to relieve pressure? I have had the compressor off before to replace the shaft seal and did not experience anything like this.

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    First of all why are you removing the compressor from the top, isn’t it easier to remove it from the wheel well assuming all the bracket and mount are removed? Second is, I think you have too much oil in the compressor or in the system. If you the York type compressor, you should follow this AC oil level guide, it usually takes about 10-11 oz. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Saabguy likes this.
  3. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    #3 Lawrence Coppari, Jan 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
    I removed it from the top because the compressor would not fit between the gas tank and the engine drive pulleys. I suppose I could have removed the harmonic balancer as I did years ago when I replaced the main seal on the crank. When I replaced the seal on the compressor years ago, I filled the oil level to where York recommended as shown in your post. I looked it up. It's out now so I'll tilt it and recheck.

Overfilling would not account for the spewing of oil. Seems to me it would only pour out. In my first post I failed to mention that the spewing of oil out the high-pressure side was always preceded by a gurgling sound from inside the compressor.

4. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I checked the oil level in the crankcase. It is well below the fill point. I also removed the clutch and electromagnet. Together, they weigh 7 pounds, 2 ounces. The stamping on the magnet mount says it draws 55 watts. Some time ago I measured the amperage draw on the clutch and noted it was drawing about 4.5 amperes which agrees with the stamping.

I have not decided whether to install a new seal in this compressor or go the Sanden route.

5. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I installed a new compressor seal and vacuum has been held for several days. However, I realize that there is only a 14.7 psi pressure difference for the vacuum test. When it operates, the pressure differential is many times greater. The last seal I installed lasted for two timing belt changes which is about 10+ years. The timing belts are renewed, and a new thermostat was installed. For some reason when I had the vehicle professionally serviced back in the 90's, the factory 80 C (176 F) thermostat was changed to a 70 C (158 F) thermostat. I put the 70 C thermostat in hot water, and it began opening at 155 F which is in agreement with my vehicle's temperature gauge. I ended up getting the Wahler 80 C thermostat. The same hot water test indicated the new thermostat worked correctly. I opted for the Wahler thermostat based on cost. One parts outlet wanted 258 bucks for the thermostat. Another wanted over 160 bucks. I guess they are made out of gold. NAPA sells the Wahler for less than 17 bucks. I drove the vehicle a little while ago. The thermostat worked properly.

I will get around to charging the system when the weather warms.

NYC Fred likes this.
  6. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Really like the thermostat with the correct temperature opening and maintaining range. This morning it was 32 F where I live so I took the car out for a ride to see if the oil temperature would get higher than it used to at low ambient temperatures. Heretofore, I would have to stuff an old hat in the NACA duct in order to get the oil temperature up to 170 F in cold weather. This morning the oil temperature was running at 170 to 180 F, hatless.

Saabguy likes this.
  7. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    A vacuum test is a quick and dirty way to confirm you have no gross leaks in the system.

A pressure test using dry nitrogen at about 100 psi over several days is much better. Even then, there will be small pressure changes if ambient temperature changes.

Chasing down the small leaks can drive you crazy.

Saabguy likes this.
  8. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Every rose must have thorns. The proper operating temperature of the engine has increased the working pressure in the cooling system. A leak has developed beneath the intake. I assumed it was one of the large 41 mm rubber hose sections but instead it is a small line that goes from the reservoir to under the intake. I can see it dripping at the clamp end under the plenum when the engine gets up to temperature. The clamp tightener faces the rear window of the car so I might be able to tighten it without major surgery. I am not looking forward to plenum removal but will do so if necessary. When the engine cools I'll see if I can get at it. The end of the line where it clamps has dried residue, so it looks like it has been weeping slightly for quite a while. Now with the higher pressure in the system, it is doing more than weeping.

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #9 Steve Magnusson, Mar 11, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
    Sending you as much positive mojo that it's an easy fix for you, but if you mean where that small hose #49 connects to item #26 here:

https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/diagram/ferrari/328-gtb-gts-(1985)/022-water-pump-and-piping

that #26 nipple, 106241, has a long history of corroding badly on many F models -- Hill Engineering even did its own version in a better stainless steel material:

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/106241-union.html

If you do a search using "106241", you should get some prior threads with pictures of the typical trouble.

10. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Steve, thanks for the helpful information. I am going to take a close look at it today. Before I discovered this leak, I was able to stop another leak at one of the large rubber sections in the valley. One clamp had loosened. I tightened it stopping that leak and thought the issue was solved. Now I'll be faced with the question, if the problem is not simply another loose clamp, whether I should do the 'while you're in there thing'.

11. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I was able to get a 6mm socket on the clamp and tightened it a little over 1 turn without much effort. Will start it later when the rain stops. My guess is that the nipple is corroded, and I'll have to replace it. In searching under 106241 as suggested, I noticed that auto parts stores sell a brass screw in nipple. If I were not retired, I could ask colleagues who were metallurgists about whether brass would be better than SS when in contact with aluminum. But I retired almost 19 years ago and so have they by now.

12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    This is the system bleed line to the tank. It is recommended that 308/328 timing belt service includes the removal of this hose, inspection of the port, and replacement of the line and the attachment point if it is corroded. Your failure to do this back in January means... you now have to drain the coolant and remove the top of the plenum, and possibly remove the lid as well. Bummer. Bill in Arizona sells an aluminum one.

The same recommendation holds for the 16mm heater hose attachment under bank 1 distributor.

13. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Yelcab, are we talking about the same hose? I do not see how one could remove/replace this hose without removing the plenum. It attaches to a nipple (106241) well under the plenum out of reach of fingers.

14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
  15. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    My leak is at fitting 26 which is not accessible without removing the plenum. I was able to access the clamp and tightened it using a 6mm socket on an extension. The Ferrari factory was thoughtful in that they oriented the clamp so that it could be tightened from the front. Whether clamp tightening stops the leak, I cannot say without starting the car. I doubt that I shall be that lucky, so I've been reading up on plenum removal. It looks like a lot of labor for me with much care regarding the spacers. I have always changed the coolant every 2-3 years.

16. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    A lot of labor, and that is why it is done at the same time with the belt service. I have always had to remove the lid, the fuel lines to the injectors, then the 12 nuts holding down the plenum, as well as all the throttle housing, vacuum ports, hoses and cold start injectors before lifting the plenum out. Slip a bunch of index cards under the plenum to cover the intake holes before you lift the beast out. At least if the spacers fall out (they rarely do) they won't end up in the intake manifold. You never get this done if all you pay for is a lock-swap belt job.

That is also a good time to replace the large hoses to the water pump, thermostat because access is never better. I had to remove the cross-over pipes and take it to the work bench in order to remove the rusted out fitting. It did not cooperate while it is still attached to the engine mothership.

17. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I've been looking at the situation some more. I might be able to get my hand in there to remove the hose if I remove the oil filter. I'll run the car tomorrow when the rain stops and see if it still leaks and go from there. One of the large (41mm) short sections on the timing belt side was leaking but stopped when I tightened a loose clamp. If I have to go in there, I'll replace all the hoses.

By the way, I do all the labor/servicing myself. I have a couple of small blocks and tackles so removing the lid is easy for me having done it several times. Once back in the 90's, the vehicle was serviced professionally but I was not pleased with the results. So I do all the work now. Other than changing oil, filters, adjusting valves, timing belts, and coolant, if it is not broken, I do not fix it.

I thank you for the advice. FerrariChat is invaluable.

Saabguy and MFlanagan like this.
  18. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If you find that you have to remove the plenum, buy a good quality (not a Snapon) box end 13mm wrench, grind the side of the box end to a thin wall box end. You will need that on 2 of the 12 nuts. Keep it for future use. Good luck.

19. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I removed the engine cover and oil filter and was able to get my hand under the plenum. Loosened up the clamp on the line that goes from reservoir (item 49 in yelcab's post) to the nipple on the manifold. Attached are two pictures showing the end that leaked at the nipple and the end where I cut it off from the reservoir. The end at the reservoir was cut because it was requiring too much force to loosen. I have to wonder why the line is so thick in view of the fact that the coolant system relieves itself at 13 psig. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Here is a picture of the nipple. It is shot through a mirror and seems to show there is quite a bit of meat left on the nipple. Maybe I do not have to remove the plenum and replace the nipple.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I would clean that up and leave the fitting on until next time. As for the other end of the hose, it is not originally thick. It is just swollen up from how many years on the car now?

moysiuan likes this.
  22. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    The hose is original equipment so it's over 35 years old. Cleaning it up and installing a new hose is my plan as well.

23. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Did you look at the end of the 16mm hose that feeds coolant to the heater valves? I bet it looks like that.

24. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
  25. Lawrence Coppari

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I'm finding nipple 18 just below and to the left of the rear distributor looking from the driver's side. That line on my vehicle is not swollen to the extent that the smaller line was swollen. I make this judgment by looking at how much the clamp is pinching the line. I cannot see the other end of the line at the moment. I'll deal with the small one for now and look more closely at this later when I can get the car back on my lift. It must be off the lift for me to use my block and tackles to remove the engine lid. Thanks for the assistance.