Air Filtration for Garage | FerrariChat

Air Filtration for Garage

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by U-Boat Commander, Mar 13, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. U-Boat Commander

U-Boat Commander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    Has anyone researched air filtration for a garage? I'm talking about a commercial/industrial sized filtration unit that will keep dust off cars for a 2000+ sq ft space. Despite the doors being well sealed (for a garage) it still gets a lot of dust in there.

One option is a stand alone unit that is easy to access.

I could even build it into an attic above the garage, but that would be more challenging to access as the attic access is 15' up as you can see in the below pic.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

rampante550 and cgt000 like this.
  2. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Well I use a furnace filter taped to a box fan and it works pretty well but I have a feeling you're looking for something a little nicer than that. You might want to look at air filter systems for woodworking shops to at least get an idea. Another possibility would be to use an HVAC contractor to put in a system that uses ducts, especially for such a large area.

https://woodworkerhelp.com/best-woodshop-air-filtration-system/

peterp and U-Boat Commander like this.
  3. JL350

JL350 Karting

Jan 20, 2013
    Is the dust coming in through the doors all the time or only when they are opened? If the drive up to the doors is gravel etc. and is the source of the dust then it may be easier to sort that out. If the dust is just coming in all the time, then sealing the openings and blowing air via a filter into the building is an option. The fan would need to prevent air ingress into the building so it would need to be sized on that basis, and good seals around any openings is required or the fan would be quite large.

U-Boat Commander likes this.
  4. U-Boat Commander

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    It's coming in all the time I imagine. The garage doors are well sealed now. I'm also looking into whether I can seal them better. But there's a limit because they are garage doors. Concrete driveway. It's just your typical ****ty urban air.

JL350 likes this.
  5. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    Wow. Now that's what you call a garage.

6. JL350

JL350 Karting

Jan 20, 2013
    That sucks, probably no passive solutions available. A fan with a filter on the intake and sized to prevent unnecessary air ingress may be relatively cheap, but the best solution will depend on your climate, freezing winters may require air conditioning for temperature control and not just a fan. A local hvac company should be able to help.

7. U-Boat Commander

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    The garage has AC and heat, but have never used it. In So Cal so never really gets that cold and the garage is built into a hillside on one side so never really gets warm. It's a constant temp in there between 60-70 on 98% of days. Ordered a new thermostat that can be programmed to run just the fan. So maybe that will suck out some of the dust.

moysiuan likes this.
  8. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    This will help to run the fan, but your return where the filter is might be too high to assist. If that is not sufficient, you might have to go over to a forced air system like a paint booth, etc.

9. Someday3x8

Someday3x8 Rookie

Dec 6, 2021
    Full Name:
    Clay
    More pictures, please! is that a separate tool room, down on the end, under the Ferrari sign? How beautiful!

10. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    Your best bet is to positive pressurize the building, as opposed to having an air sytem sucking air out of the building (nregative pressure) then filtering it. High maintenance. Stop the dust from coming in the building to begin with. You may be able to utilize your exsting HVAC unit depending on the sizing. a qualified HVAC guy should be able to recommend a solution

11. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hello,

My 1,000 sqft car park utilises a four-part air filtration system. Part one is the central AC/Heating system with two intake filters, one is in the main bay and one is in the rear bay. (There is a partition wall across the rear of the space).

Besides the ceiling filters for the A/C, there is a MERV 16 final filter in an additional filter unit in the attic, in-line with the filtration filters in the ceiling.

Part two is a 1,100 cfm, 2-micron point of use filter system on flexible drops that are used when creating dust for specific tasks. This uses a near HEPA final filter and a cyclone pre-filter to capture the majority of the dust before it enters the final dust filter. This unit is operated manually, or via a remote control.

Part three is a wall mounted 1044 cfm three speed, 1-micron forced air unit that uses electro-static dust filters and a pleated woven inner bag. It is mounted on the wall near the ceiling and can be activated remotely to run continuously, or via various times.

Part four is a mobile (on wheels) 2,000 cfm certified HEPA filter that has three filters (pre-filter, mid and final HEPA). This has two speeds and a meter to indicate resistance of the air through the filters, so you know when to change them.

So, I’m covered six ways to Sunday…
    The mobile unit might work for you… Also, HVAC companies can mount a remote controlled unit in the attic that takes the air in the bay and filters it, then returns it into the bay, These can be HEPA filtered with/without VOC reduction filters. Either of these might suit your needs.

Cheers!

12. U-Boat Commander

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    Who makes the mobile unit?

13. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    My plan is to have a dedicated Roomba for the garage- but would love to figure this out also to minimize dust.

14. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    MERV is a standard used to rate particle removal efficiency of filters. MERV 11 is as high as you need to go, anything higher will result in not much gain for a larger pressure drop/energy consumption. Particle filters need to be replaced periodically; a tighter filter will clog more frequently.

Every time you're opening the door, you're introducing a tremendous amount of particulate into the space (you probably know that).

If ingress is coming in constantly (even with doors closed), you could try maintaining a slightly positive pressure in the space, but you'd want to filter the incoming air.

15. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hello,

My FA2000EC mobile HEPA filtration unit is manufactured by Advanced Containment Systems, Inc…

https://acsi-us.com/product/fa-2000-ec/

Image Unavailable, Please Login

No association with this company other than as a satisfied buyer. I’ve owned this unit for ~ two years or more.

P.S. They also have smaller units if that’s a better fit for you. My unit weighs about 140 lbs…

Cheers!

16. U-Boat Commander

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    Thank you. Does the unit run constantly? Or is it programmed to run for a bit and then shut off and then run again?

17. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    The other thing you can do is blow the car and tires off with a leaf blower before you open the garage door and pull the car in. Especially if you have had a ceramic coating done the leaf blower will get 95% of the dust and dirt off of the car. While I have a paved driveway I have to drive a short distance on a gravel road to get to my place. For the 5 months the road isn't covered in snow a quick going over with a leaf blower gets the dirt and dust off of the car and tires and keeps the garage much cleaner.

18. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hello,

My model has two speeds, but it runs continuously at either speed selected. There is no built in timer on my unit. This may be available on newer models, or on another machine - but I’m not sure. My need for this machine is in a continuous duty mode, I have other equipment that offers timed functions.

You might check with the manufacturer, they may be able to add a timer to a unit for you on a custom order basis. This unit is a beast and i use it regularly. I hope this helps…

Cheers!

19. U-Boat Commander

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    It's still a work in process. I have not yet installed the Baririsol lights in the main garage (so it's dark in there) and a couple other things. But here's a few pics as is.

It should be finished in about three weeks and then I'm letting a friend do a photoshoot for a simulator company in the garage. So should get some good pics.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login