Su 27 vs Reaper Drone over Black Sea | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Su 27 vs Reaper Drone over Black Sea

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Nurburgringer, Mar 16, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    We are not even signatories to the ICC, neither is Russia.

2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Russia has actually had not a single "good news" to boast about from the war since July; so, forcing down a drone might have to do as for the last "great victory".

Rgds

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The Russians will probably be proud of that.

Rgds

4. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    What would happen is they lit afterburners when they were dumping fuel?

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    We called that a torch with F-111s, but our dump mast was in between the burner cans. Not sure if a Flanker can safely ignite its dump or not. This is an F-111C from the RAAF torching at an airshow.

Brian- The Chinese military is a completely untested force with similar problems to Russia. Lack of flying time, leaders chosen because they toe the party line rather than for competence, and lack of real experience or exercise against peer opponents.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Kind of what I thought. Very possibly another paper tiger. But a paper Tiger with nukes.

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Here is the scary part.

If this was a pilot or a flight commander "going rogue", what the hell us could they do next? This is how you start a major crisis.

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Thats always been a scary part. I know at least our military has historically tried very hard to vet people and have systems set up to require multiple people to do something really bad but I have met people in more recent times in high positions who I would't trust with a gun much less something that could make a really big noise. With the lack of control other big countries seem to have I think maybe we are running on a big dose of luck. Besides, if you remember Gulf of Tonkin even Presidents go rogue.

TheMayor likes this.
  9. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    They're definitely running out of tanks:

https://nypost.com/2023/03/13/putin-modernizing-60-year-old-soviet-tanks-for-ukraine-war/

10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    They are running out of modern tanks; who knows how many old tanks they might have in reserve: they never throwed anything away. Invasion has always been their scariest thought: they have not scrapped one tank since WWII; they must also still have T-55s, and maybe even T-34s in reserve. Numbers always mattered very much to them; as long as there will be still one single man standing, they won't stop.
    The are surely running out of ideas, though.

Rgds

11. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    IS this drone equipped with such countermeasures? Im sure the AIM9 or whatever else it carries is/as more effective but sometimes simple wins.

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I saw a video of a storage yard that had lots of T-54/T-55 tanks stacked on top of each other. But they looked so rusty that I rather doubt they could return them to full operating condition. And they would be more vulnerable than the newer tanks.

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    It doesn't matter to them, Jim. They would rather empty all what is left, even rusty, even XIXth century vintage ressource, even horses, swords, etc...
    Than admit they were wrong. Forget logics. It's not about logics; they will not surrender to logics.

Rgds