488 Pista Battery Tender | FerrariChat

488 Pista Battery Tender

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dksu, Mar 18, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dksu

dksu Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    David
    Started my car last night in garage to idle for few mins and plugged the charger and went to bed. Next morning, noticed the charger was still in stage 2. Not sure why battery charger is not progressing beyond stage 2 of charging, despite being on tender over 12 hours. Do I need to reset the tender. I'm used to seeing at least 4-6 green solids lights even after few hours of charging.

2. Bkclients

Bkclients Karting

Nov 30, 2010
    Mine would do they frequently didn’t have any issues arise.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    #3 rob5819, Mar 18, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
    Don't have a 488 Pista, don't have a Ferrari 488 Pista tender, but assume it is a version of a CTEK. On my 458 and Portofino M i use CTEK 7002s and they run 7 steps:

STEP 1 DESULPHATION
    Detects sulphated batteries. Pulsing current and voltage, removes sulphate from the lead plates of the battery restoring the battery capacity.
    STEP 2 SOFT START
    Tests if the battery can accept charge. This step prevents that charging proceeds with a defect battery.
    STEP 3 BULK
    Charging with maximum current until approximately 80% battery capacity.
    STEP 4 ABSORPTION
    Charging with declining current to maximize up to 100% battery capacity.
    STEP 5 ANALYSE
    Tests if the battery can hold charge. Batteries that can not hold charge may need to be replaced.
    STEP 6 RECOND
    Choose the Recond program to add the Recond step to the charging process. During the Recond step voltage increases to create controlled gassing in the battery. Gasing mixes the battery acid and gives back energy to the battery.
    STEP 7 FLOAT
    Maintaining the battery voltage at maximum level by providing a constant voltage charge.
    STEP 8 PULSE
    Maintaining the battery at 95–100% capacity. The charger monitors the battery voltage and gives a pulse when necessary to keep the battery fully charged

It your tender is similar and is failing in step 2 it could mean the battery can not accept a charge. I have had a few cars fail step 5 (hold a charge). Obviously worth unplugging / re-plugging the tender, but hope you have a jump start kit (highly recommend Beatit or Noco).

4. dksu

dksu Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    David
    Ok, I unplugged the tender from wall and reinserted into outlet and plugged the dongle back on car, and it worked. Why ferrari electronics are so finicky
    They make such easy task so daunting

5. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    You can also press the reset button…..I do that if the charger stalls at light 2 or 3. @rob5819, The Pista has a lithium battery and different tender than the 458.